• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are peoples thoughts on the Stagecoach Falcon service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crispy11

Because I live not too far from where the Falcon stops in Exeter, I have been using this service for several years as a handy way to get to Plymouth, and also up to places such as Taunton and Bristol, for good value compared to getting the train or driving. I also appreciate the flexibility that a 24 hour service provides (I think its the only service in the south West that runs day and night).

However, it seems that over the last few months a couple of ticketing changes have happened which have made it more expensive then before. For example, you used to be able to use the same ticket to travel on local buses and the Falcon but now you need to buy separate tickets instead. I also get the impression from other passengers that the ENCTS is no longer accepted on this service (although over 60s still get a discounted rate).

Does anyone else here use the Falcon on a regular basis and if so what are your views?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's been sold to Scottish Citylink (a consortium of, er, Stagecoach (!) and ComfortDelGro) so is now accounted separately, hence the lack of through ticketing. Megabus has as well. Both remain operationally contracted to Stagecoach though (not that that has to continue).

embers25

Established Member
ENCTS getva third off roughly which is reasonable and means the coach doesn't get full with them thankfully. I find it generally friendly and as reliable as a service of this type can be. The main annoyance since the take over is that it doesn't seem to track on bustimes or stagecoach app any more and live departures are almost essential for Falcon.

asb

ENCTS getva third off roughly which is reasonable and means the coach doesn't get full with them thankfully. I find it generally friendly and as reliable as a service of this type can be. The main annoyance since the take over is that it doesn't seem to track on bustimes or stagecoach app any more and live departures are almost essential for Falcon.
It generally tracks on the megabus website ok

padbus

I have always regarded the Falcon as being a jumped up bus service. Like #Crispy11, live close enough to the Falcon stops in Exeter for it to be the best way to get to Plymouth, both in terms of cost and time. I have also used it as a covenient way to travel to Bristol.

It is difficult to keep up with changes in fares and ticketing as the Falcon website seems to be out of date. https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/south-west/fly-the-south-west-falcon. The FAQs are too lengthy to post in full here but I will post some selected paragraphs.

Do you offer through journeys on local Stagecoach bus services?

Tickets to/from Plymouth are also valid on 1/X1, 2/2A, 3, 48, Plymouth Park & Ride services and Stagecoach Gold from Totnes.

Tickets to/from Exeter are also valid on Red and Blue Park & Ride services (inc. M2 and SR4), 4/A/B/C, 52A/B, 56/A.

Through tickets to Bristol are available on-board all of the above local buses in Plymouth and Exeter. Through ticketing is not included on bookings made via megabus.com.
Crispy11 reports that this is no longer the case.

Can I make a local journey on Falcon?

You can now make local journeys - i.e. those of 15 miles or less - by Falcon.
This change happened years ago. It is not a recent thing as the use of the word "now" suggests. This dents confidence in the accuracy of the website.

Can I use my concessionary pass?

Concessionary passes are no longer valid for travel on the Falcon coach.
Again, this change happened years ago. When local journeys were first allowed, concessionary pases were accepted between Plymouth and Taunton and between Bridgwater and Bristol as these were the sections of the route that were registered as local bus services. The section on the middle was not registered thus preventing the use of a concessionary pass all the way from Plymouth to Bristol, which is not unreasonable.

What happens if the coach I want to catch is full?

There are 19 Falcon journeys every day so you’ll never have long to wait. However, if you want the added reassurance of having a seat pre-booked you can now book seats for journeys between Bristol, Bristol Airport, Taunton, Exeter and Plymouth only via megabus.com. Any tickets purchased via megabus.com are be subject to their terms and conditions, and are only valid at the date and time you select at the time of booking.
Once again, this is a change which took place some years ago. Rumours at the time suggested that Devon County Council had used the availability of pre-booking as a reason to stop reimbursing the use of concessionary passes. Did North Somerset Council do the same thing in its area? It is true that discounted fares to are available to various groups including concessionary pass holders. Last time I travelled to Bristol (pre-Covid) it cost me £10:30 return with my pass which, quite frankly, is a bargain. I chose to break my journey at Bristol airport to photograph the buses there. I then caught the airport flyer bus into Bristol which cost me £8 single. (I knew this would be the case).

It is clear from my travels, both to Bristol and to Plymouth, that people use the Falcon as local service, especially the section along to A38 from Bridgwater to Bristol.

So, Falcon has moved from being a premium bus service to with a distinct identity and liveried coaches to distinguish it from the local bus services but available for some local travel. It now seems to be in no-mans-land. The coaches are the same colour as the local buses between Exeter and Exmouth so does this mean I can't use my bus pass to go the Exmouth? I am sure I can but, like most members of this Forum, I have a greater knowledge of the backgound to these things than the average bus user would have.

Stagecoach have bundled the Falcon with Megabus in its recent sale of the booking systems behind both. However, it is a very different service to Megabus which needs to keep it separate identity or I fear it may lose its usefulness as a turn up and go regional bus link.

route101

Established Member
The Falcon reminds me of the Stagecoach express network in Scotland, something you don't see much South of the border.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Because I live not too far from where the Falcon stops in Exeter, I have been using this service for several years as a handy way to get to Plymouth, and also up to places such as Taunton and Bristol, for good value compared to getting the train or driving. I also appreciate the flexibility that a 24 hour service provides (I think its the only service in the south West that runs day and night).

However, it seems that over the last few months a couple of ticketing changes have happened which have made it more expensive then before. For example, you used to be able to use the same ticket to travel on local buses and the Falcon but now you need to buy separate tickets instead. I also get the impression from other passengers that the ENCTS is no longer accepted on this service (although over 60s still get a discounted rate).

Does anyone else here use the Falcon on a regular basis and if so what are your views?

Thanks
Although not a regular user of the Falcon I have made quite a few trips on it. Although the trip is rather longer than the train I do quite enjoy the ride and find it comfortable. I will happily keep using it.

Dave

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Although not a regular user of the Falcon I have made quite a few trips on it. Although the trip is rather longer than the train I do quite enjoy the ride and find it comfortable. I will happily keep using it.

Dave
It would be a shame to see its demise, for whatever reason or combination of reasons. Stagecoach deserve great credit for introducing it and continuing to back it for so long. I couldn't imagine Arriva or First keeping the faith for all that time.

Christmas

If Falcon has been sold off to CityLink then the repainting of coaches into that awful Stagecoach yellow should cease immediately.

markymark2000

On Moderation
It would be a shame to see its demise, for whatever reason or combination of reasons. Stagecoach deserve great credit for introducing it and continuing to back it for so long. I couldn't imagine Arriva or First keeping the faith for all that time.
Unfortunately now though, it's not as good as it used to be. Delays seem to be higher and less space on coaches it seems so I'd say it properly needs more Interdecks. They are also more appealing to passengers who see the service and of course gives much more area for route branding. I think the Falcon has potential to be much busier.

Anthony ross

If Falcon has been sold off to CityLink then the repainting of coaches into that awful Stagecoach yellow should cease immediately.
Falcon has been sold to Comfort Delgro and the deal is expected to be completed on the 22nd August, I believe, along with the retail side of Megabus. Stagecoach is remaining as contractor on the routes.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The introuduction of the SW Falcon was a really brave commercial move from Stagecoach. Even for a firm that was prepared to have a punt, the investment was quite a bit to swallow (though the vehicles could always be redeployed). It was never a bus service though - it was a coach service where certain bits were registered. I tried it in the first week when it was £1/trip and had a chat with one of the drivers about how it all worked operationally. The vehicles, the livery, the overall promotion - remember it was advertised extensively on billboards, on buses (not just Stagecoach), and I think there was a TV commercial.

It managed to cover off a number of different markets. It's an airport service primarily, but it's also a budget long distance option for people into Bristol, it's an inter-urban express, and a local bus for places like Churchill. It's managed to cover off all of that but it is a coach service fundamentally.

The current issues are not all in their control, not least traffic congestion. However, the decline has been noticeable. The fleet is the original fleet dating from 2016 save for some extra vehicles that were on the X5 in Bedford - even early on, they needed extra vehicles and think some former X5 B7Rs were drafted in? However, vehicles themselves were arresting in their colour scheme - the awful Stagecoach yellow with minimal branding is just not good enough - no wow factor.

I've said it before (and this extends far from this discussion but Falcon is emblematic) - Stagecoach have lost their mojo, and they need to rediscover it. They are beginning to feel like Arriva was ten years ago.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
With 65 registered coaches, presumably it is close to the point at which a new fleet will be under consideration. It is often at that point when decisions are made about whether the route justifies that new investment.

The Bristol Airport link seems to be an important part of its existence.

DaveHarries

Established Member
The Bristol Airport link seems to be an important part of its existence.
Agreed. I had to get to Winscombe one evening back at the end of May so I caught the Falcon from Central Bristol through to Sidcot Gate: quite a few people joined at the Airport which was good to see. The Falcon is also great if the trains are on strike or otherwise up the creek for any reason so my hope is that the Falcon will continue to run.

Dave

cambsy

On Moderation
I have used the Falcon service over the years and did the same as one of the posters above, which was the £1/a trip promotion. For the first couple of weeks when it launched, I'd have thought the coaches needed renewing, as the original coaches are 7 years old now. The unfortunate thing about the Falcon for me, is that it doesn't offer a better connecting service to London than direct National Express, so I tend not use it much. I do hope it continues to run, as it is important for the south West, and it is a good service for the region.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.