• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are someone's rights when a compeition prize isn't honoured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum so I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some advice.

In 2019 I won a competition to attend a festival in Dorset on the 2020 August Bank Holiday. Hawlfest. A festival organised by Hawkwind. There were 30 sets of flags for sale at £10 each and in one of the sets was the special festival flag. If you got that you won a £120 festival ticket.

I got the flag. After the gig, this flag had to be signed by some of the band to avoid any counterfeits. So I met some of the band backstage and got it signed. I had some photos taken and I even took photos of the merchandise stall and the competition advert on the said stall.

I've been a Hawkwind fan for some years and met them before and since.

Due to covid, the festival was cancelled and a new one arranged for this year.

They were due to hold a mini one last year for 200 of the ticket holders, for just one day. I replied saying I wouldn't be attending but looked forward to next year.

Now it's next year and one or more of the organisers, not sure who, is claiming this is a different festival and the competition doesn't count. They went on to say I had to register last year to say I would be attending and I should have a ticket number. I don't as I only have the flag.

I e-mailed last year to say I look forward to next year and that to me is good enough. I wasn't told I needed to do anything. What are my rights?

I must add, although I spent £10, the fact I got the extra flag and it is partially signed will have increased the value of the bundle. If I was to sell them, which I don't want to do, I would get more back than I spent. However, that doesn't change the fact I don't have the competition prize.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum so I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some advice.

In 2019 I won a competition to attend a festival in Dorset on the 2020 August Bank Holiday. Hawlfest. A festival organised by Hawkwind. There were 30 sets of flags for sale at £10 each and in one of the sets was the special festival flag. If you got that you won a £120 festival ticket.

I got the flag. After the gig, this flag had to be signed by some of the band to avoid any counterfeits. So I met some of the band backstage and got it signed. I had some photos taken and I even took photos of the merchandise stall and the competition advert on the said stall.

I've been a Hawkwind fan for some years and met them before and since.

Due to covid, the festival was cancelled and a new one arranged for this year.

They were due to hold a mini one last year for 200 of the ticket holders, for just one day. I replied saying I wouldn't be attending but looked forward to next year.

Now it's next year and one or more of the organisers, not sure who, is claiming this is a different festival and the competition doesn't count. They went on to say I had to register last year to say I would be attending and I should have a ticket number. I don't as I only have the flag.

I e-mailed last year to say I look forward to next year and that to me is good enough. I wasn't told I needed to do anything. What are my rights?

I must add, although I spent £10, the fact I got the extra flag and it is partially signed will have increased the value of the bundle. If I was to sell them, which I don't want to do, I would get more back than I spent. However, that doesn't change the fact I don't have the competition prize.
Terms and conditions. I wouldn't expect anyone to actually read them in these circumstances, but if you have a copy it may help your case.

TheEdge

Established Member
You might want to look into the ongoing case at the moment involving Brewdog and their "£15k Solid Gold Can" which turned out to just be plated. Looks to still be in the hands of the ASA, not seen an outcome yet.

etr221

Thinking, there are - it seems to me - two issues:
1) Your prize was a ticket to the 2020 festival - did you claim or receive this (before or after it was cancelled)? Or was it something you would get (for free) on turning up for it with the flag? (You should have had something in 2019 at or after the gig to tell you what to do)
2) Having cancelled the 2020 festival, they had to do something for the ticket holders (including yourself): ticket for next festival/refund/whatever...

infobleep

Veteran Member
Terms and conditions. I wouldn't expect anyone to actually read them in these circumstances, but if you have a copy it may help your case.
There were no terms and conditions at the Merchandise stall.

Was there any cash equivalent offer?
I saw no terms and conditions.

I was just given a flag, which was then signed.
Thinking, there are - it seems to me - two issues:
1) Your prize was a ticket to the 2020 festival - did you claim or receive this (before or after it was cancelled)? Or was it something you would get (for free) on turning up for it with the flag? (You should have had something in 2019 at or after the gig to tell you what to do)
2) Having cancelled the 2020 festival, they had to do something for the ticket holders (including yourself): ticket for next festival/refund/whatever...
I received no ticket. My understanding was the signed flag was proof I could attend the festival last year.

Ticket holders were allowed to attend this year but I believe they needed to let them know.

I took my e-mail, where I mentioned next year, as proof I was going to attend this year.

I was a member of the Hawkfest Facebook group and asked the question were any competition winners attending this year's festival? The post wasn't approved without any explanation.

So I decided to comment on someone else post and ask same question. The comment got removed and my ability to post was removed. I'm surprised they didn't remove me from the group.

They stopped reading my Facebook messenger messages before this point. This was after I'd sent them photographs, which they had seen.

The festival is taking place right now so clearly I'm not attending it.

Status
Not open for further replies.