• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do you think about ‘pings’ because of the Track and Trace App?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeeJ

People very keen to delete the app it seems, but with 50,000 cases per day, presumably the high rate of people being pinged by the app shows that it's working? The 'app' isn't causing businesses to lose frontline workers, people testing positive for COVID is. They should tweak the app so it gives out different advice to people who are double vaccinated, but that's more a demonstration of government incompetence.

The batteries are staying in my smoke alarm for now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Another 6 days of isolating ends Tuesday. I am getting fed up with all this now & am seriously thinking of deleting the bloody app. Apparently some ‘tweaking’ going on with it so who knows?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Another 6 days of isolating ends Tuesday. I am getting fed up with all this now & am seriously thinking of deleting the bloody app. Apparently some ‘tweaking’ going on with it so who knows?
If you are isolating purely due to the app pinging you, then you do not need to isolate. You can keep the app if you want, and take the instruction to isolate as a prompt to get some tests over the next few days .

dk1

Veteran Member
If you are isolating purely due to the app pinging you, then you do not need to isolate. You can keep the app if you want, and take the instruction to isolate as a prompt to get some tests over the next few days .
My work advises me to stay away & I'm not venturing out. Third time now since all this palaver began.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Deleted it ages ago. No chance of installing it again. Work are asking us to do regular testing anyway, which nullifies the benefits of the app tbh - literally no point in fit, healthy people isolating who haven’t got the virus.

317 forever

Established Member
The way the app works is farcical. People can leave their phones in their locker at work and they can ping even though the owners were nowhere near eachother. The app is sometimes sensitive to people next door who have tested positive. Also some troublemakers who have never tested positive can set their app to positive, causing people near them to be pinged.

So, as it is so poorly designed I am not getting the app. I do not even have a smartphone and have no intention of getting one until this all blows over.

Mintona

Established Member
Don’t know why anybody would ever have downloaded it tbh. I’m not being told by my telephone that I’m not allowed out of the house, that’s ridiculous.

It’s interesting seeing some of the people who have had it multiple times.

KeithMcC

I have only downloaded it for a quiet life when entering any premises with a bar code. Turned the bluetooth feature off after the first day and have never switched it back on.
Having said that, waving your 'phone at the bar code and pressing the screen keeps most door guardians happy anyway - they can't see if you actually have the app open!
Hopefully all history on Monday.

dk1

Veteran Member
Don’t know why anybody would ever have downloaded it tbh. I’m not being told by my telephone that I’m not allowed out of the house, that’s ridiculous.

It’s interesting seeing some of the people who have had it multiple times.
I think as it’s advised by the NHS you just abide by the instruction. When work tells you to too it seems the right thing.

henairs

The Government won't back down and are still stressing the importance of the App to keep cases down according to News tonight
I like many others without fancy Dan phones cannot access this app anyway and would have no intention of doing so if I was forced to as the government would no doubt like to do.
This country is going down the pan fast at the moment with scaremongering rife instead of some good old common sense. I have had my two jabs, nothing to it with very helpful staff so everyone should have them. Whether they are overly effective is open to discussion but by looking after yourself and others around you God willing you'll be okay.
Nobody knows that many answers to this disease yet so still very much trial and error.
Be confident in what you all do as we all have differing circumstances and live for the day.
The Government don't have many answers dispite all their bluff, scientists a fair bit more but as individuals we can all contribute better than all the experts put together.
Cheers.

DanNCL

Established Member
The 'app' isn't causing businesses to lose frontline workers, people testing positive for COVID is. They should tweak the app so it gives out different advice to people who are double vaccinated, but that's more a demonstration of government incompetence.
It's the app that brought the Metropolitan Line and parts of the District and Piccadilly lines to a stand still today, not people testing positive.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
People very keen to delete the app it seems, but with 50,000 cases per day, presumably the high rate of people being pinged by the app shows that it's working? The 'app' isn't causing businesses to lose frontline workers, people testing positive for COVID is. They should tweak the app so it gives out different advice to people who are double vaccinated, but that's more a demonstration of government incompetence.

The batteries are staying in my smoke alarm for now.

Oh, the batteries are staying in my smoke alarm as well.

Quite apart from anything else, it tells me if I'm about to burn dinner !

Bayum

Established Member
It's the app that brought the Metropolitan Line and parts of the District and Piccadilly lines to a stand still today, not people testing positive.
… which is the point of the app. To alert others nearby that they have been in prolonged, close contact with a case. Just so happens that someone in the control centre tested positive ‍♂️

DanNCL

Established Member
… which is the point of the app. To alert others nearby that they have been in prolonged, close contact with a case. Just so happens that someone in the control centre tested positive ‍♂️
A smartphone app should not be capable of bringing a large part of a public transport network to a standstill, period.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
… which is the point of the app. To alert others nearby that they have been in prolonged, close contact with a case.
But as documented on the forum, this is not always the case!

Just so happens that someone in the control centre tested positive ‍♂️
Has someone told you that, or is this a guess? (genuine question)

CeeJ

A smartphone app should not be capable of bringing a large part of a public transport network to a standstill, period.

The app only alerts you if you have been in close proximity to someone who has recently tested positive with COVID. So many people are being pinged because we've seen about 250,000 positive cases this week. It's the high case rate and public health/government policy that is the lead cause - the app is doing what it's designed to do. Granted there are some exceptions (e.g. pinging through walls!) but you are able to turn contact tracing off if you're at home.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I've may have mentioned this in passing in another thread, but im struggling to agree that the app is the problem. In my mind the issue is the increase in cases. The app is working as it should - its pinging more and more people because more and more people are contracting covid.

Now maybe that is fine, and maybe you think that because of our vaccination rates then we don't need to worry about cases at all anymore. But to blame the app is a little naive when the increase of cases is the cause.
If its working as it should, then I have to ask why are the algorithms are to be amended?

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
If loads of people delete the app or refuse to have it, then are businesses really going to want to turn away customers who can’t check-in? They’ll quickly have to drop the requirement if they want to avoid bankruptcy!

dk1

Veteran Member
If loads of people delete the app or refuse to have it, then are businesses really going to want to turn away customers who can’t check-in? They’ll quickly have to drop the requirement if they want to avoid bankruptcy!
Don’t you just give your name/number if you do not have the app? Still able to go in.

nedchester

Established Member
Switched the Bluetooth bit of it off recently and use it very occasionally to check in when asked (rarely). Won’t be doing it at all from tomorrow.

Don’t you just give your name/number if you do not have the app? Still able to go in.
Yes, I know plenty who don’t give their real phone number either…….

dk1

Veteran Member
Switched the Bluetooth bit of it off recently and use it very occasionally to check in when asked (rarely). Won’t be doing it at all from tomorrow.

Unless you delete the app you’ll keep getting irritating reminders to switch on Bluetooth.

Or real name.

DelayRepay

Established Member

Don't do that! If a contact tracer tells you to isolate, it's mandatory. Instructions from the app are not legally binding.

From tomorrow the collection of T&T details will not be mandatory (it's still 'encouraged'). So no need to leave any details at all. If they insist then vote with your feet and go elsewhere.

Or real name.

Indeed. I gather Lord Lucan, Mickey Mouse and Elvis Presley have been having very active social lives over the last few months!

dk1

Veteran Member
Don't do that! If a contact tracer tells you to isolate, it's mandatory. Instructions from the app are not legally binding.

From tomorrow the collection of T&T details will not be mandatory (it's still 'encouraged'). So no need to leave any details at all. If they insist then vote with your feet and go elsewhere.

Indeed. I gather Lord Lucan, Mickey Mouse and Elvis Presley have been having very active social lives over the last few months!
I have always used T&T but would always give my correct details. Will be interesting to see what my regular Wetherspoon does. Wouldn’t want to go anywhere else due to its sheer value & close enough to work for me to use it as a messroom. I wouldn’t be out & about if it had told me to isolate as now though.

CrispyUK

The way the app works is farcical. People can leave their phones in their locker at work and they can ping even though the owners were nowhere near eachother.
Contact tracing should be paused if you’re leaving your phone in a locker or communal area for exactly this reason. It’s the first item shown on the in-app list of reasons for when you should pause contact tracing (followed by if you’re working behind a fixed transparent screen and protected from others, if you’re a health or social care working wearing medical-grade PPE, or if you are a healthcare worker working in a healthcare building such as a hospital or GP surgery.

dk1

Veteran Member
Contact tracing should be paused if you’re leaving your phone in a locker or communal area for exactly this reason. It’s the first item shown on the in-app list of reasons for when you should pause contact tracing (followed by if you’re working behind a fixed transparent screen and protected from others, if you’re a health or social care working wearing medical-grade PPE, or if you are a healthcare worker working in a healthcare building such as a hospital or GP surgery.
Yes in the same way we have to switch phones/devices off in driving cabs. This is not only a requirement for safety reasons but also because you can be within 2m of passengers in the saloon.

WestRiding

Never had the app. Never left my correct number for track and trace. Only ever pretended to scan the NHS code. As a result, not had any free time off work, and missed the opportunity to do nothing with my life, which seems ever popular these days.

DelayRepay

Established Member
I have always used T&T but would always give my correct details. Will be interesting to see what my regular Wetherspoon does. Wouldn’t want to go anywhere else due to its sheer value & close enough to work for me to use it as a messroom. I wouldn’t be out & about if it had told me to isolate as now though.
I have used the app to scan in (properly). I don't see it as an issue because the app cannot force you to isolate. For check ins, all it does is warn you if there's been a positive case. You will either be asked to be alert for symptoms, or to get a test. I think that depends on how many cases are linked to the venue and the type of venue.

I think Spoons will bin contact tracing from Monday. It's optional anyway, they might leave the QR code up by the door for people who want to, but I cannot see them even trying to enforce it.

dk1

Veteran Member
I have used the app to scan in (properly). I don't see it as an issue because the app cannot force you to isolate. For check ins, all it does is warn you if there's been a positive case. You will either be asked to be alert for symptoms, or to get a test. I think that depends on how many cases are linked to the venue and the type of venue.

I think Spoons will bin contact tracing from Monday. It's optional anyway, they might leave the QR code up by the door for people who want to, but I cannot see them even trying to enforce it.
Will look forward to going back in Wednesday upon my release.

Status
Not open for further replies.