• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do you think about ‘pings’ because of the Track and Trace App?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
From the BBC Live Feed:

And now the Health Secretary's got it, presumably half the cabinet will have been pinged. Might incentive the government to change the rules I suppose.
Don't be silly:

Covid: PM and chancellor not isolating after Javid test

The prime minister and chancellor will not be self-isolating after contact with Health Secretary Sajid Javid, who has tested positive for coronavirus.

Downing Street said the pair would take part in a pilot programme, where daily tests replace self-isolation.

They will have to self-isolate when not working and will only conduct essential business, a spokesman said.

Mr Javid tested positive on Saturday morning, after a meeting at Downing Street the day before.

Both Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak were contacted by NHS Test and Trace as contacts of Mr Javid.

Downing Street is among 20 private and public sector organisations - including Network Rail, Transport for London and Border Force - taking part in a pilot where close contacts of Covid cases take daily tests.

Workplaces need a testing system in place for asymptomatic people and individuals taking part must self-isolate when not working.

Number 10 said: "They will be participating in the daily contact testing pilot to allow them to continue to work from Downing Street. They will be conducting only essential government business during this period."
Case numbers are continuing to rise ahead of the lifting of legal rules on social contact in England on Monday, and businesses have raised concerns about staff shortages due to the numbers of people self-isolating.
The health secretary, who has received both vaccine doses and described his symptoms as "very mild", said he would continue to self-isolate and work from home.
He announced a PCR test had confirmed a positive result he received from a lateral flow test.
As a result, Test and Trace staff looked at his recent close contacts - for example anyone he had been within 1-2m of for more than 15 minutes - and whether they needed to self-isolate as well.

(will add quote when at a computer my phone is not cooperating!)

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Don't be silly:

BBC News - Covid: PM and chancellor not isolating after Javid test

(will add quote when at a computer my phone is not cooperating!)
Ah yes they were "randomly" selected to participate in a trial whereby they just test daily instead.

If this doesn't undermine the government's foolish plan to wait another 4 weeks to allow the fully vaccinated to avoid "being pinged" (either by the app or by Test & Trace), I don't know what will.

I really hope that it makes them fall like a pack of cards because the amount of disruption to public life is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah yes they were "randomly" selected to participate in a trial whereby they just test daily instead.
Indeed! "Randomly"!

I think what's most annoying, beyond the whole continuing living proof of the "one rule for us and one rule for them" attitude which really is pouring off this Government at this point, is that the daily test process is quite clearly the way that the app should now be working! You get pinged and then, I would say, you self-isolate until you get a negative PCR test and then once you've got that off you go again. Rather than potentially being told to self-isolate for ten days when you very well may not even have it!

Kryten2340

I got pinged by the app and was able to undo the ping by removing and re-installing the app. Doing that it no longer advises you to isolate. The whole thing is pointless. I've got the app installed for check in purposes but turned contact tracing off. I've had both jabs and doing regular LFT's for work. For me the app is more of a hindrance than anything useful. Also answer this. If the official guidance on social distancing is 2m. Why then is the app racking up points if your phone is within 4m of the phone of a confirmed case.

1626599928314.jpeg

Tomo

Deleted mine today too. My return to the office has been pushed back a month because of fears everyone would get pinged on the train in

Bantamzen

Established Member
I got pinged by the app and was able to undo the ping by removing and re-installing the app. Doing that it no longer advises you to isolate. The whole thing is pointless. I've got the app installed for check in purposes but turned contact tracing off. I've had both jabs and doing regular LFT's for work. For me the app is more of a hindrance than anything useful. Also answer this. If the official guidance on social distancing is 2m. Why then is the app racking up points if your phone is within 4m of the phone of a confirmed case.

View attachment 99863
How the app really calculates the score...

"Eeny meeny miney mo"....

bspahh

Established Member

brad465

Established Member
A very quick u-turn at that, but I imagine anyone who's already deleted the app off of this story won't be getting it back in a hurry:

The prime minister and chancellor will now self-isolate as normal after contact with Health Secretary Sajid Javid, who tested positive for coronavirus.
The reversal comes hours after they said they would take part in a pilot scheme involving daily testing.
Opposition parties said it suggested there was "one rule for them and another for the rest of us".
Downing Street said Boris Johnson will conduct meetings remotely.
Chancellor Rishi Sunak said on Twitter: "Whilst the test and trace pilot is fairly restrictive, allowing only essential government business, I recognise that even the sense that the rules aren't the same for everyone is wrong."

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
And unenfocable.
I overheard a father and son on a train I was on, last Friday. They were discussing a phone call that the father had just had with his own wife. She’d just been called asking why she was out of the house when she was at the Post Office, posting something (possibly a test sample)…

brad465

Established Member
Right, so they've realised just how stupid it makes them look. Still, the damage has been done!
Yes anyone who reads/hears about the story now will see they tried to wriggle out of it, which on top of things like Hancock's behaviour will deepen the double standard's belief (Cummings and Barnard Castle is probably ageing now too much to be included, but the two recent examples are bad enough).

317 forever

Established Member
The app only alerts you if you have been in close proximity to someone who has recently tested positive with COVID. So many people are being pinged because we've seen about 250,000 positive cases this week. It's the high case rate and public health/government policy that is the lead cause - the app is doing what it's designed to do. Granted there are some exceptions (e.g. pinging through walls!) but you are able to turn contact tracing off if you're at home.
But ..... how can we be sure that people whose apps have them Covid-positive really have Covid? And if they do, why are they not isolating?

You begin to see why there is a compelling case for disregarding if not deleting the app.

dk1

Veteran Member
And unenfocable.
Just seen that Wetherspoons policy from tomorrow will be that the wearing of masks & use of test & trace will be on a voluntary basis. Bar service will also recommence but use of the app will be encouraged. That all sounds much more relaxed & very last Summer.

317 forever

Established Member
Don't do that! If a contact tracer tells you to isolate, it's mandatory. Instructions from the app are not legally binding.

From tomorrow the collection of T&T details will not be mandatory (it's still 'encouraged'). So no need to leave any details at all. If they insist then vote with your feet and go elsewhere.

Indeed. I gather Lord Lucan, Mickey Mouse and Elvis Presley have been having very active social lives over the last few months!
This means Elvis Presley leaves the building more now than he ever did in his lifetime. :lol:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Indeed! "Randomly"!

I think what's most annoying, beyond the whole continuing living proof of the "one rule for us and one rule for them" attitude which really is pouring off this Government at this point, is that the daily test process is quite clearly the way that the app should now be working! You get pinged and then, I would say, you self-isolate until you get a negative PCR test and then once you've got that off you go again. Rather than potentially being told to self-isolate for ten days when you very well may not even have it!
Its imperative that they bring the process you describe in otherwise we are going to end up in a very un freedom period ahead as our society progressively shuts down as more and more people get pinged or told to self isolate. This is as I forewarned two weeks ago that you either change the process or you have to control cases and its entirely probable they will see that only a sledgehammer full lockdown will have any chance to moderate the situation now.

We should have held at Step 3 let the kids go on summer hols given it a week then gone to step 4 if cases dropped back as its done in Scotland. At least businesses are holding back and deploying step 3.5 controls.

brad465

Established Member
Just seen that Wetherspoons policy from tomorrow will be that the wearing of masks & use of test & trace will be on a voluntary basis. Bar service will also recommence but use of the app will be encouraged. That all sounds much more relaxed & very last Summer.
Given the views of its owner, this isn't really surprising.

317 forever

Established Member
So I shall now feel able to have coffee at Wetherspoons again. This will be a relief as the customer service at Pret a Manger is often so bad nowadays but I digress .....

dk1

Veteran Member
So I shall now feel able to have coffee at Wetherspoons again. This will be a relief as the customer service at Pret a Manger is often so bad nowadays but I digress .....
Out of interest, what has stopped you using Wetherspoons recently?

317 forever

Established Member
Out of interest, what has stopped you using Wetherspoons recently?
A combination of being required to give my details for test & trace and having to use an app to order drinks. I don't have a smartphone but would have been willing to accept table service and paying using contactless card.

Status
Not open for further replies.