• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What does the future hold for free WiFi on trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Evans

mods note - split from here.

Northern's Wi-Fi has improved recently. It's definitely one of the easiest to connect to in my experience.

TPE's Wi-fi is still unreliable at best. They ask you open up a new browser once you've entered in your details and that usually doesn't work for me.

I haven't had a problem with Avanti, but I don't use them that often since I rarely travel to London.

EMR are pretty bad on their regional trains as I use them frequently to travel between Liverpool and Manchester and they have no Wi-Fi whatsoever, you're lucky if the set has USB ports at a minimum!

In general though, most on-board Wi-Fi only connects to 4G so it is largely dependent on whereabouts you are as large swathes of the country are still Wi-Fi deserts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
To be fair with that many packages including unlimited (or de-facto unlimited) data, the need for on-train WiFi is probably a thing of the past anyway.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
To be fair with that many packages including unlimited (or de-facto unlimited) data, the need for on-train WiFi is probably a thing of the past anyway.
The problem is though, where strong and reliable Wi-Fi would really come in handy is when the train crosses areas of little or no service, or goes through tunnels. For example, south of Stevenage, it’s almost impossible to make calls or use data to connect to the internet on the ECML.

class397tpe

Agreed - using data is much better than the on-train wifi.

Only problems are on Class 220/221/222 with the signal-blocking windows - mobile data is basically useless in those units and the wifi can sometimes be pretty poor as well.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I think the trend will be away from public wifi generally for that exact reason (5G will essentially replace it by providing blanket "public wifi" everywhere), but it is handy for kids' tablets and the likes.

Wifi is like a longer lasting version of Rabbit phones (an early semi-mobile phone concept) and the likes.

Agreed - using data is much better than the on-train wifi.

Only problems are on Class 220/221/222 with the signal-blocking windows - mobile data is basically useless in those units and the wifi can sometimes be pretty poor as well.

It is possible to fit signal amplifiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.