• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What happened to Platforms 12-17?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

King's Cross Station. I can only remember as far back as the mid-1970's when the main station contained Platforms 1-8 and the adjacent suburban station - containing a cute little buffet staffed by West African ladies - included Platforms 9-11.
I've been reading up on the 1945 accident at King's Cross where reference is made to "points 145" which QUOTE when "reversed", the no. 1 down main line could be reached from platforms 5, 6 or 7; when points 145 were "normal", this line was reached from platforms 8 to 17 UNQUOTE
I just wondered what happened to Platforms 12-17 and if they were anything to do with the City Widened Lines which apparently preceded today's FCC lines between Finsbury Park and Moorgate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
yes, they came up just to the west of the side of the station as it is now, didn't they, so I suppose the numbering would have continued from there. Wouldn't have thought there were that many of them, though; perhaps the numbering in the main station has been changed. There was the York Road platform over on the other side where it went down to the Widened Lines, as well.

From Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia:
"King's Cross York Road

Before 1976, part of King's Cross was an intermediate station. On the extreme east of the site was Kings Cross York Road, with suburban trains travelling south from Finsbury Park calling here, then going underground using the York Road curve to join the City Widened Lines to Farringdon, Barbican and Moorgate stations. In the other direction, trains from Moorgate came off the Widened Lines via the Hotel Curve, with platform 16 (latterly renumbered 14) rising to the main-line level. Services to and from Moorgate were diverted via the Northern City Line from August 1976."

15,16,17 were very short platforms which were on the extreme western side of the station. I dont think they were used for passenger trains much, but one was called the milk dock and may have been used for that traffic earlier in the 20th century.

Another was used to load cars into covered bogie vans, and they were attached to the rear of a Motorail service to Scotland, or the "Anglo-Scottish Car Carrier" as it was called in the early 60s.

Status
Not open for further replies.