• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What happens to non-paying bidders on eBay these days? Nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I've just had two consecutive non-paying eBay bidders, on the same item. The last one spun me a line about a "problem" with his "profile page" when I asked why he hadn't paid after two days, which I don't know what that means, and that he would pay me "tomorrow". "Tomorrow" being yesterday. I had to cancel both with the option of "buyer not paid", but you can't even leave negative feedback now. So what happens to them, because from my side it seems that people can bid on things and then not pay with impunity. <(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
I've just had two consecutive non-paying eBay bidders, on the same item. The last one spun me a line about a "problem" with his "profile page" when I asked why he hadn't paid after two days, which I don't know what that means, and that he would pay me "tomorrow". "Tomorrow" being yesterday. I had to cancel both with the option of "buyer not paid", but you can't even leave negative feedback now. So what happens to them, because from my side it seems that people can bid on things and then not pay with impunity. <(
Refer the matter to Ebay for them to take action.
You may consider whether giving them just 2 or 3 days to pay up is sufficient time particularly when some people are having financial problems.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

This happened to a friend of mine recently when he was selling a car. Some guy bid, won the car, and then never got back to him. He contacted eBay and they did absolutely nothing about it so he lost a sale and had to start again even though he’d had other bids.
Pretty poor really.

Bungle73

On Moderation
You may consider whether giving them just 2 or 3 days to pay up is sufficient time particularly when some people are having financial problems.
Refer it to eBay by doing what? The old dispute resolution thing for non-paying bidders thing is gone. And 2 or 3 days? It's now been four days since my auction ended. When you win an auction you are obligated to pay straight away. If you can't afford it you shouldn't be bidding in the first place.

Why not just block them and don't let them bid with you again?
I will do, as I did with the first one, but that's not going to stop someone else doing that same thing and thinking they can get away with it.

steamybrian

Established Member
On ebay go to the seller hub page, go to top right hand corner click on "seller help", On Request assistance page scroll down to "having problems with buyer" then fill in details.

Bungle73

On Moderation

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This is one reason why I don't sell on e-Bay any more but instead have my own website - it's set up so that any buyers have to pay in order to get their purchases completed.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Did reporting a 'non-paying bidder' ever achieve anything?

Ebay is heavily focused on protecting buyers, probably guided by distance selling regulations etc. There seems to be an assumption / preference that sellers are now businesses who can afford the loss as part of their business model, rather than individual sellers with low volumes.

The days when Ebay was the worlds biggest car boot with people selling their unwanted stuff to those who wanted that same stuff but it never appeared at the local swapmeet etc are generally long gone.

I occasionally buy items but seem to have more instances of items being mis-described in terms of quality (I always assume done so deliberately). I stopped selling in March last year having been ripped off by a buyer and finding that 'seller help' and 'review' were nothing of the sort - merely being a fully automated process which protects the buyer.

As the saying goes 'When the fun stops, stop'. It did. so I did.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why not just block them and don't let them bid with you again?
It’s unlikely you’ll come across the same person buying from you more than once.

I’ve had it happen to me twice, very annoying especially when you upload it on one of those special offers like max £1 fees.

wireforever

Never sold anything on ebay I always pay straight away.Only ever had a problem when something I bought never arrived got a refund (I think the item was out of stock/sold out)

david1212

Established Member
Individually nothing but always report them as if a buyer gets too many reports within a time window maybe eBay will do something. If hassle over any part of a sale I always block so they can't bother me again.

Status
Not open for further replies.