• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What hobbies do you have other than railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steam Man

On Moderation
I may work on a heritage railway but I’m not a trainspotter, far from it. I’m just on there to get a bit of experience while I’m at college, and one of my hobbies is that I tend to be a bit of a quizzer.
I know that most of the time I lose but it’s the taking part that counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Photography (film and digital), which I combine with my love of hiking in remote locations and exploring abandoned places. I also help maintain a bothy for the Mountain Bothies Association. I also write letters to a variety of penpals, read quite a lot, and enjoy music.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Photography (film and digital), which I combine with my love of hiking in remote locations and exploring abandoned places. I also help maintain a bothy for the Mountain Bothies Association. I also write letters to a variety of penpals, read quite a lot, and enjoy music.
That sounds like some very enjoyable pastimes.
Mine would be going off camping in remote places in the van, reading, music and maps amongst other things.
Oh and wild swimming I suppose, although Mrs C was stung by a Weaver fish in Cornwall the other day so some kind of footwear will need to be purchased before we continue that particular adventure...

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm partial to real ale and enjoy watching football (particularly non-league where you can combine the two!), as well as going for long walks. Other than that, mostly just going out with friends and enjoying myself, though alas that's on hold at the moment!

birchesgreen

Established Member
Model railways (have a HOe narrow gauge layout), walking, canals, history, drawing cartoons. Some of these are linked of course, i can combine walking along with a canal with a railway trip to get there.

D365

Veteran Member
Oh and wild swimming I suppose, although Mrs C was stung by a Weaver fish in Cornwall the other day so some kind of footwear will need to be purchased before we continue that particular adventure...

Living in Sheffield, that’s something I’ve thought about trying in the Peak District, especially with Ponds Forge remaining closed. I’ve done it in Bavaria but wouldn’t know where to start in England! (maybe worth a new thread?)

Other than swimming and gym, my interests can be summed into three: electronics, motorsport, 80s-style synth music.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Living in Sheffield, that’s something I’ve thought about trying in the Peak District, especially with Ponds Forge remaining closed. I’ve done it in Bavaria but wouldn’t know where to start in England! (maybe worth a new thread?)
Not a bad idea, I’ll try and do that at some point.
There’s a couple of good books about it.

Peter C

Established Member
I find quizzes quite fun (general knowledge only, really), and learning about historical events/places/people and the interesting facts which come them. The latter tends to help with the former and they both tend to find their way back to railways! :D

-Peter

PeterY

Established Member
I have a passion for model railways (winter only) but in the summer months I do a lot of cycling

Calthrop

Established Member
Flying on planes and visiting all 50 US States as often as possible. Getting close to 2 million miles.

Have you actually been to all fifty of them? -- an achievement indeed...

Other than railways; I'm a voracious reader -- fiction and non- ... to be honest, largely light-minded and rubbishy stuff...

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Have you actually been to all fifty of them? -- an achievement indeed...

Hawaii and Alaska I have only visited on 10 separate occasions they are my lowest.
I have flown in and out of all 50 including Delaware
I have stayed overnight in all 50 states a minimum of 8 nights for each
i have crossed and photographed the state lines of all 50
I have driven in all 50
I have visited the capital cities of all 50
I have visited all 50 while accompanied by my wife
( and probably TMI I have known my wife in the biblical sense in 33 states! )

xotGD

Established Member
Hawaii and Alaska I have only visited on 10 separate occasions they are my lowest.
I have stayed overnight in all 50 states a minimum of 8 nights for each
i have crossed and photographed the state lines of all 50
I have driven in all 50
I have visited the capital cities of all 50
I have visited all 50 while accompanied by my wife
( and probably TMI I have known my wife in the biblical sense in 33 states! )
I thought your hobby sounded a bit tedious until I reached the last line!

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
History, particularly medieval and early rennaisance history. I in particular love anything related to the Plantagenets or the Early Habsburgs up to Phillip II.

Alternate History is such a great hobby as well.

Football, music and recently I've been getting into Formula 1.

Calthrop

Established Member

I gather that there's a pet joke in the US, to the effect that many people doubt whether Delaware actually exists :smile: .

Alternate History is such a great hobby as well.

Is Harry Turtledove a writer in that genre, whom you read? I have a love / hate relationship with his writings. IMO when he's good, he's very good; but...

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
I gather that there's a pet joke in the US, to the effect that many people doubt whether Delaware actually exists :smile: .

Is Harry Turtledove a writer in that genre, whom you read? I have a love / hate relationship with his writings. IMO when he's good, he's very good; but...

With Alternaate History, I don't read novels, instead I'm part of the Alternate History forum which is similar to this forum except the alternate history part where we discuss Alternate History. Its a brilliant forum, I'd recommend checking it out.

nlogax

Established Member

Spent months of my life in Delaware / 'Dela-where?'. Nothing exciting to report from those experiences other than crossing the state line back towards home. Oh, and 0% sales tax ;)

Don't even think I'd say railways are a hobby of mine, more of a long term interest in some aspects of the industry. Actual hobbies used to include travel, F1 weekends, desert photography and whisky. Maybe they will resurface next year.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

Not quite. For 18 of the years I have lived in the USA Delaware has had no scheduled air service. So unless you had a private jet, you can’t fly in and out of Delaware. However, for approximately 2 years Frontier Airlines started a service from Denver CO to New Castle DE. It has stopped again about 2 years ago so back to no air service. So I flew from Dayton OH to Denver just to get a return flight to New Castle DE then flew from Denver all the way back to Ohio just to say I had flown in and out of Delaware. I have done crazy things in my train spotting days too.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Cycling of course, might that be the most popular other hobby?
And reading, there are so many books I want to read. Discovering poetry now
Someone said that literature is fortunately a rather quiet and unexciting matter

What about photography? Very many people combine it with cycling, walking
Or it can be a hobby in its own right

jb108822

My other main hobby is visiting theme parks. So far, I've only been to ones in Europe, and my rollercoaster count is at 173, but I have some friends who've been on about 700.

I'm slowly becoming more of an avgeek, and can quite happily sit & watch planes take off & land for a few hours - I may have even driven from my house to Manchester Airport at short notice when I knew a particular plane was due to be arriving there that evening. Got some cracking photos while I was waiting for it, and was treated to a stunning sunset as well!

I have a great love for whisky, too, though I don't have the disposable income to build up anything resembling a collection. I tend to just buy a bottle that's on offer (because I'm a bit of a cheapskate :p) and work my way through it.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
My other main hobby is visiting theme parks. So far, I've only been to ones in Europe, and my rollercoaster count is at 173, but I have some friends who've been on about 700.

I'm slowly becoming more of an avgeek, and can quite happily sit & watch planes take off & land for a few hours - I may have even driven from my house to Manchester Airport at short notice when I knew a particular plane was due to be arriving there that evening. Got some cracking photos while I was waiting for it, and was treated to a stunning sunset as well!

I have a great love for whisky, too, though I don't have the disposable income to build up anything resembling a collection. I tend to just buy a bottle that's on offer (because I'm a bit of a cheapskate :p) and work my way through it.

I love rollercoasters and would so I am a borderline coaster enthusiast but ultimately I think coaster enthusiasts take it to serisously and care too much about airtime, hangtime and RMC's. Ultimately with rollercoasters if a coaster is really fun, its a 10 out of 10 for me, its all I really care about.

What is your favorite rollercoaster?

jb108822

I love rollercoasters and would so I am a borderline coaster enthusiast but ultimately I think coaster enthusiasts take it to serisously and care too much about airtime, hangtime and RMC's. Ultimately with rollercoasters if a coaster is really fun, its a 10 out of 10 for me, its all I really care about.

What is your favorite rollercoaster?
Favourite rollercoaster is probably Helix at Liseberg in Sweden.

D365

Veteran Member

Where does one park to get planes and sunsets!?

Status
Not open for further replies.