• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What if Stanier had got the CME job at Swindon instead of Collett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irascible

Established Member
I always felt that changing locos at Exeter instead of Plymouth, and a batch of Castle-concept 4-cylinder locos but with Hall-sized 6'0" wheels for everything west of there to Penzance, would have been a good solution.
That does sound a great concept, a mini-King. Maybe Newton Abbott would have been a sensible place, given it was often a long stop anyway & had a large shed.

The LMS did get to try a Castle and I think actually tried to buy some! that would have been something.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatvoyager

Established Member
That does sound a great concept, a mini-King. Maybe Newton Abbott would have been a sensible place, given it was often a long stop anyway & had a large shed.

The LMS did get to try a Castle and I think actually tried to buy some! that would have been something.
Yes, they took 5000 Launceston Castle on loan and wanted to order 50 or have w copy of the design drawings, but as it wasn’t granted Royal Scots were built instead, along the Lord Nelson outline.

matchmaker

Established Member
Yes, they took 5000 Launceston Castle on loan and wanted to order 50 or have w copy of the design drawings, but as it wasn’t granted Royal Scots were built instead, along the Lord Nelson outline.
That is correct. The GWR refused to lend the LMS a set of Castle drawings, but Maunsell was far more cooperative and lent a set of Lord Nelson drawings which were passed to the North British who proceeded to design the Royal Scots. Not being constrained by Midland practices, the NB designed locos with well sized bearings and long travel valves. As far as I know, The Royal Scots worked well "out of the box" - as you might have expected from a steam loco from the NB (the less said about their later diesels the best...).

Spamcan81

However compétant Riddles was, you were still in an era and industry where age and experience weighed heavily. Unfortunately, he was fifteen to twenty years younger than other candidates.
Gresley got the GNR job as a relatively young man.

greatvoyager

Established Member
That is correct. The GWR refused to lend the LMS a set of Castle drawings, but Maunsell was far more cooperative and lent a set of Lord Nelson drawings which were passed to the North British who proceeded to design the Royal Scots. Not being constrained by Midland practices, the NB designed locos with well sized bearings and long travel valves. As far as I know, The Royal Scots worked well "out of the box" - as you might have expected from a steam loco from the NB (the less said about their later diesels the best...).
If Stanier had evolved the Star class, I wonder if it would have been similar to a Castle or whether he would have tried something new.

Bevan Price

Established Member
One of the difficulties would be such a loco would be most appropriate on Paddington-Plymouth services, on the South Devon banks.

I've written here before that a key problem here is the 1 in 36 climb up Dainton Bank for a locomotive with a long boiler (ie longer than a Castle/King), with the way the boiler is tipped going over the summit and the water level changes inside. You may think it's no different to the Lickey, but Dainton after 1 in 36 up is immediately followed by the same gradient downwards, which doubles the change in water level at the firebox end as you go over. Given that the boiler is heavily drawn on going up, it's difficult to get to the top with the glass anything more than half full, and often less. Longer boiler still - more likely to blow a fusible plug. And its the same going the other way. Didn't The Great Bear come to grief there?

This one can be laid at the door of Churchward, who had a long-running feud with Grierson, the GWR Chief Civil Engineer. The latter was on a roll after all the 1900-10 new lines, Castle Cary, Badminton, Paddington to Banbury, and a number more. He had drawn up outline plans for an Exeter-Newton inland route avoiding Dawlish (which was disrupted then as often as nowadays) and also Newton to Plymouth avoiding the big banks. He told the board the engines couldn't handle these well. Churchward told them he would show he could design locos which could, for far less cost, the board believed Churchward, and the two senior managers apparently never spoke again.

I always felt that changing locos at Exeter instead of Plymouth, and a batch of Castle-concept 4-cylinder locos but with Hall-sized 6'0" wheels for everything west of there to Penzance, would have been a good solution.
I think that an improved 4700 Class 2-8-0 with 5' 8" driving wheels might have been best for the Devon banks. You tend to get better adhesion with 4 rather than 3 driving axles. And it could have eliminated the need for much of the double-heading.

Irascible

Established Member
If Stanier had evolved the Star class, I wonder if it would have been similar to a Castle or whether he would have tried something new.
He may well have had a hand in it anyway. It would depend a lot whether it was evolved at Swindon or Crewe(!).
I think that an improved 4700 Class 2-8-0 with 5' 8" driving wheels might have been best for the Devon banks. You tend to get better adhesion with 4 rather than 3 driving axles. And it could have eliminated the need for much of the double-heading.
I poked around at boilers last night after that part of the discussion came up. The 4700 already has 5' 8" drivers, the boiler is more or less a short King boiler with less superheater area ( which you could increase, ofc ), but it's also got two cyls with about 2/3ds the volume of a King & marginally less than a Castle. It was also somewhat restricted in route availability, although I don't know/can't remember how badly. Anyone got any numbers for steam production for Swindon/Stanier/others boilers? GWR Standard 1 vs LMS ... whatever the Black 5/Jubilee boiler was ( 3? ) would tell a lot if you're speculating.

Taunton

Established Member
The Stanier boilers came back to the GWR post-WW2, when Swindon had built a significant batch of 8F 2-8-0s, a number of which stayed on the WR for quite some years afterwards. Plus when the run was cancelled the tooling, and possibly some actually constructed boilers left over, was used by Hawksworth for the 30 County 4-6-0s. These never quite seemed to hit the mark, and got used on slightly secondary operations scattered around the system, certainly not as well regarded as Castles, which continued to be built alongside and indeed after the Counties.

Tuplin wrote an interesting book "Saints and Sinners", based around the GW Saints but speculating on how the concept of a large 2-cylinder loco might have been extended. For those wondering how things might otherwise have developed, they might find it interesting. He ends up with a 4-8-0, with drawings for it.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Tuplin always wrote interesting books...

To be honest, I don't really know which direction GW motive power provision would've gone. There were plans for electrification in the west and, of course, they dabbled with gas turbines. Also, with their interest in diesel railcars, maybe something larger along those lines. Join 'em together and hey presto, an HST!

Irascible

Established Member
Hawksworth improved the Castle a bit too. The County seemed an ambitious attempt at something new, given the original 280psi boiler, but as you say it didn't quite work. Must have been a pretty lively ride...

Have always wondered why there weren't more railcars, and not just on the GW either. I guess compared to a well known steam design of something simple like a 48xx the maintenance was a pain, but that would have been less of a pain if they were less novel. Come to think of it I'm not sure who was responsible for introducing them either.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
With hindsight I'd say the railcars were the most significant new development to come out of the Big 4 era. The Southern did a lot of electrification and LNER a bit, but that was mostly continuing the policies of their predecessors, and while steam locos got bigger and better it was mostly incremental. None of the others got into diesels beyond a handful of prototypes, but the railcar paved the way for the DMU which was probably the most successful product of the 1955 Modernisation Plan. Stanier focused mainly on large and medium steam locomotives. He must have had something to do with the ancestors of the 08 shunter but lesser routes had to make do and mend until post-war and post-Stanier, and even then the LMS invested in new steam classes rather than diesel.

Who said the GWR wasn't innovative?

matchmaker

Established Member
With hindsight I'd say the railcars were the most significant new development to come out of the Big 4 era. The Southern did a lot of electrification and LNER a bit, but that was mostly continuing the policies of their predecessors, and while steam locos got bigger and better it was mostly incremental. None of the others got into diesels beyond a handful of prototypes, but the railcar paved the way for the DMU which was probably the most successful product of the 1955 Modernisation Plan. Stanier focused mainly on large and medium steam locomotives. He must have had something to do with the ancestors of the 08 shunter but lesser routes had to make do and mend until post-war and post-Stanier, and even then the LMS invested in new steam classes rather than diesel.

It makes me wonder what course LMS motive power might have followed iif Charles Fairburn hadn't died so suddenly - he was by training an electrical engineer and 10000 and 10001 were conceived during his time as CME.

ac6000cw

Established Member
With hindsight I'd say the railcars were the most significant new development to come out of the Big 4 era.
Yes, I'd agree with that, in terms of something that didn't exist beforehand. It was interesting that (IIRC) the GWR initially tended to use them for lightly-loaded secondary mainline services, rather than on branch lines, although I think they moved onto those later on.

but the railcar paved the way for the DMU which was probably the most successful product of the 1955 Modernisation Plan.
Yes, definitely.

It was in some areas - the development of ATC was a good example of that, but in contrast it stayed with lower-quadrant semaphores and seemed rather lukewarm about power signalling. I think it was quite good at PR too - trains like the 'Cheltenham Flyer' were run as much for PR value as anything else.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It was in some areas - the development of ATC was a good example of that, but in contrast it stayed with lower-quadrant semaphores and seemed rather lukewarm about power signalling. I think it was quite good at PR too - trains like the 'Cheltenham Flyer' were run as much for PR value as anything else.
ATC was a definite innovation, but in a somewhat earlier era when the GWR was incontrovertibly forward looking. It also produced the principles of Swindon locomotive design that hardly changed during the Big 4 era, according to you point of view either because the GWR didn't really need anything better or because it had become a bit ossified (apart from the railcars in both cases). I'd say all of the big 4 were good at PR in their own ways, but the LPTB was probably better than any of them.

ac6000cw

Established Member
It makes me wonder what course LMS motive power might have followed iif Charles Fairburn hadn't died so suddenly - he was by training an electrical engineer and 10000 and 10001 were conceived during his time as CME.
Pure speculation, but (if Fairburn hadn't died) I suspect the LMS would have looked seriously at electrification of at least the southern end of the WCML - it was already familiar with suburban electrification (Euston-Watford, Wirral/Liverpool area, Manchester-Bury-Holcombe Brook etc.) - and the traffic density should have made it the obvious choice to replace steam, even over diesels, provided the investment capital was available.

The powered sliding-door stock it introduced for the Wirral/Liverpool electric lines was pretty innovative for 1938 mainline stock.

It also produced the principles of Swindon locomotive design that hardly changed during the Big 4 era, according to you point of view either because the GWR didn't really need anything better or because it had become a bit ossified (apart from the railcars in both cases).
Yes, no question it advanced the 'state of the art' in steam loco design and construction, years before most other railways probably even thought about standardising major component parts across the fleet etc. and being able to 'mix and match' sub-assemblies to produce different loco types.

Re. potential 'ossification' later on - the GWR was the least changed by the Grouping, it basically took over a collection of smaller companies (and slowly put the Swindon 'stamp' on them) so probably felt it had little need to change - it was already better than the others, wasn't it? (from its perspective).

Whereas the other three big groups were much more 'mergers of equals', with much bigger issues of management and weeding out the dross from the motive power fleet.

I suspect that for a very competent and ambitious engineer & manager like Stanier the prospect of sorting out the LMS fleet would have been a very attractive proposition, when offered.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Pure speculation, but (if Fairburn hadn't died) I suspect the LMS would have looked seriously at electrification of at least the southern end of the WCML - it was already familiar with suburban electrification (Euston-Watford, Wirral/Liverpool area, Manchester-Bury-Holcombe Brook etc.) - and the traffic density should have made it the obvious choice to replace steam, even over diesels, provided the investment capital was available.
However this wouldn't have been possible in the short period between Fairburn's appointment and nationalisation due to the general economic situation in the aftermath of WW2. Even the electrification and signalling schemes started pre-war on other companies didn't complete until the 1950s. It would have needed the LMS to continue for maybe another decade, or maybe Fairburn getting the top job at British Railways.
Re. potential 'ossification' later on - the GWR was the least changed by the Grouping, it basically took over a collection of smaller companies (and slowly put the Swindon 'stamp' on them) so probably felt it had little need to change - it was already better than the others, wasn't it? (from its perspective).

Whereas the other three big groups were much more 'mergers of equals', with much bigger issues of management and weeding out the dross from the motive power fleet.

I suspect that for a very competent and ambitious engineer & manager like Stanier the prospect of sorting out the LMS fleet would have been a very attractive proposition, when offered.
I don't think the GWR had much to learn on motive power (or indeed much else) from the minor companies it swallowed up in 1923, and taken as a whole their locomotives were probably streets ahead of anything the other companies inherited at Grouping. But yes, avoiding the clash of personalities and empires, that afflicted the LMS in particular, allowed them to forge ahead without the stagnation the LMS suffered in the Fowler era.

Taunton

Established Member
Yes, I'd agree with that, in terms of something that didn't exist beforehand. It was interesting that (IIRC) the GWR initially tended to use them for lightly-loaded secondary mainline services, rather than on branch lines, although I think they moved onto those later on.

trains like the 'Cheltenham Flyer' were run as much for PR value as anything else.
The railcars were initially used on the likes of Birmingham to Cardiff, but indeed as single units they more supplemented than replaced the existing service. They were the result of some co-operation between the GWR and the AEC bus manufacturer, whose factory was right beside the line at Southall, and if you look at the driving cab of the railcars, and a contemporary AEC bus, you recognise a number of components the same. The bodies of the first ones were built by Park Royal, a major bus body builder, who AEC actually owned as well. The real step forward was the last pair built, as a 3-car set, with single-end driving cabs and an intermediate trailer, AEC engines and semi-automatic gearbox - exactly how hundreds of Modernisation Plan dmus were done.

There was a lot of hoo-hah when Gresley went to Germany in 1936 and rode on the diesel "Flying Hamburger", but in fact that was just a 2-car set, only 100 seats, and note the GWR built more diesel railcars than the German Railways built of these comparable FDT units.

The first ones even did not have buffers or drawgear, which was a huge nuisance to the Taunton shed foreman in the 1950s when one of these, by then reduced to the Taunton-Yeovil line, broke down at Martock with a jammed transmission, and the shed breakdown gang was sent to recover it ...

Irascible

Established Member
Yes, no question it advanced the 'state of the art' in steam loco design and construction, years before most other railways probably even thought about standardising major component parts across the fleet etc. and being able to 'mix and match' sub-assemblies to produce different loco types.

I'd say Churchward left the GWR an entire generation ahead - the others only really caught up by the mid/end of the '30s & that's after Collett was happy to leave the steam side more or less alone. You can just imagine Fred Hawksworth's increasingly frequent grumblings to Stanier about how much he envied Stanier's job & how Mr Collett still hadn't retired!

There were a lot of forward looking ideas knocking around between the wars, and perhaps a little less enthusiasm for giving them the attention and implementation they deserved. Not something I'm really sure shuffing CMEs around would have changed a lot - you'd have thought if the boards were more interested they'd have installed people who'd carry it out.

The GWR railcars seem to have been started entirely on AECs end & arrived as complete units ( so you can blame AEC for the lack of operational convenience! ). I wonder who was responsible for buying them & why they didn't encourage the native engineering department to try putting one together long before they actually did. Diesel railcars had been tested way before the grouping by various companies, so the idea wasn't new, just needed a more practical implementation.

Taunton

Established Member
The GWR railcars seem to have been started entirely on AECs end & arrived as complete units ( so you can blame AEC for the lack of operational convenience! ). I wonder who was responsible for buying them & why they didn't encourage the native engineering department to try putting one together long before they actually did. Diesel railcars had been tested way before the grouping by various companies, so the idea wasn't new, just needed a more practical implementation.
Well the GWR had just a couple of years beforehand given up their own branded bus services, transferring them to the likes of Western National, who they still owned 50%. They bought their buses of course from AEC etc rather than building their own, so it likely seemed natural to continue. I wonder if anyone from their old "Road Motor Department" was in on the railcar project.

Incidentally, they were among the first actual diesels. Pioneer attempts beforehand, just like buses before about 1930, were petrol, not diesel, as the technology had not been developed. Not a trivial point, as fuel consumption with diesel was less than half what it was with petrol, making it at last economic. Unfortunately it made buses more economic as well, and the branch lines lost out heavily.

I doubt Stanier had a lot to do with the pioneer 350hp diesel shunters on the LMS, other than signing the order. They were fundamentally an English Electric product, engine, transmission, and mechanical parts, and were sold around several of the companies, and indeed sold overseas.

I suspect Collett stayed on so long because he didn't know what else to do. And away from loco design (typically the province of the Chief Draughtsman anyway) he was good at admin, sticking to budgets, choosing the right subordinates, etc. I think he lived in London and had his main office at Paddington, rather than at Swindon. His wife had died just when he got the CME's job in 1922, they had no children, and he seems to have led a somewhat solitary life. He was 61 when Stanier left, he surely would have got a very substantial pension (CME's, although reporting to the Chief General Manager, generally got an equivalent salary to the latter, to the dismay of other heads of department, and probably to the CGM's dismay sometimes as well), and could well have been positive about Stanier moving on. It did mean that Mr Churchward's legacy powered half the railways of Britain, until Riddles ruined it all. There, that's been said. Stand by for incoming missiles.

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
Well the GWR had just a couple of years beforehand given up their own branded bus services, transferring them to the likes of Western National, who they still owned 50%. They bought their buses of course from AEC etc rather than building their own, so it likely seemed natural to continue. I wonder if anyone from their old "Road Motor Department" was in on the railcar project.
It wouldn't surprise me if the 'railcar project' started out as informal 'what if' discussions between AEC and GWR "Road Motor Department" people. After all, the GWR mainline ran past the AEC headquarters at Southall, so no doubt someone there mused on alternative markets for their diesel engines and transmissions...

I wonder who was responsible for buying them & why they didn't encourage the native engineering department to try putting one together long before they actually did.

Maybe the main GWR mechanical design dept. kept a low profile about the railcars in case they didn't work out very well?

greatvoyager

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been asked, but if Stanier did become CME of the GWR, would the LMS have approached Collett?

Irascible

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been asked, but if Stanier did become CME of the GWR, would the LMS have approached Collett?
I think something would have to have happened to Mr Collett for him not to have the job at all. If he'd retired before 1931 & handed the job to Stanier then you have an interesting hunt for a suitable CME. As Taunton said Collett was 61 when the LMS came looking around - he might have fit in very well given how good an administrator he was, but whether he could have wrestled the equivalent of Stanier's products out of the three LMS works is another matter.

ac6000cw

Established Member
However this wouldn't have been possible in the short period between Fairburn's appointment and nationalisation due to the general economic situation in the aftermath of WW2. Even the electrification and signalling schemes started pre-war on other companies didn't complete until the 1950s. It would have needed the LMS to continue for maybe another decade, or maybe Fairburn getting the top job at British Railways.
Oops - I didn't look up the dates of Fairburn's appointment and death...

But then this is a 'what if' thread anyway ;)

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Fairburn came from EE but, by time he moved to the LMS, the committee that was looking at diesel shunters had been formed for some years, predating the arrival of Stanier. Fairburn took great interest in diesel and electrification proposals, chiefly in suburban areas for the latter, which is where the capital could then be justified.

You get the impression that Stanier wasn’t a great fan of diesels, he quoted the indigenous coal argument right into the 1950’s but he was far more positive on electrification. So I’m not sure the GWR railcars would have happened as they did under his tenure.

The GWR railcars came through an AEC project that the GWR moved rapidly to support. Collett was very keen on these and it is a real shame that the timing of the first one taking to the rails was after the 14xx design had appeared. Developing No 1 into a consistently reliable and useful product design took a few years and, but for wartime, that fleet would, most likely, have rapidly been added to.

Collett let Stanier know that he wasn’t going to retire (with board support) until he was 70 and Cook feels that Stanier realised that his understandable ambition to be the number 1 had to lie elsewhere. Collett’s nominal number 2, Auld, was slightly older than Collett and it was his wish to retire in 1941 that finally forced Collett’s hand, after a few years in which everyone thought he was hanging on a bit too long.

Stanier was relatively junior and inexperienced in 1921 so a move to a top job then would have been a stretch. He didn’t have Collett’s aversion to leading pony trucks so it is debatable that he might have gone for a lightweight 2-6-0 rather than the 22xx. The Grange might have appeared earlier (and not at the expense of the 43xx) and he surely would have come up with something a little different to the Manors.

I’m not sure that Hawksworth would have not been entirely pleased if Stanier had got the top job on the GWR in about 1931 but, even by then, he hadn’t had the experience that Stanier had. Stanier’s generally affable manner would have come into play, one feels.

Collett really came into his own in supporting improved workshop practise. The work that Hannington and, after his untimely death, Cook did at Swindon was outstanding and the latter is one of my unsung hero’s of steam. He would have succeeded Hawksworth as CME, had the GWR continued. He got the consolation prize of getting the reduced scope WR job after Hawksworth retired in 1949.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I think something would have to have happened to Mr Collett for him not to have the job at all. If he'd retired before 1931 & handed the job to Stanier then you have an interesting hunt for a suitable CME. As Taunton said Collett was 61 when the LMS came looking around - he might have fit in very well given how good an administrator he was, but whether he could have wrestled the equivalent of Stanier's products out of the three LMS works is another matter.
I would’ve been interested to see what Collett’s idea of original standardisation would’ve been.

Taunton

Established Member
Fairburn came from EE but, by time he moved to the LMS, the committee that was looking at diesel shunters had been formed for some years, predating the arrival of Stanier. Fairburn took great interest in diesel and electrification proposals, chiefly in suburban areas for the latter, which is where the capital could then be justified.
I presume Fairburn, under Stanier, took a leading role in the Wirral electrification in 1938. Hopefully with something better than the additional compartment units for the Watford DC and Southport lines, produced about 1930, which looked like they were from Victorian times.

Some play has been made about how advanced the LMS were with the Wirral air-door trains, but they were not an LMS design, the rolling stock was all subcontracted out to Met-Cam and BRCW, half each, and the trains were effectively a near-carbon copy of the Underground O/P/Q38 stock - which of course were air door. These had been built on the same half each basis by these two Birmingham designers and manufacturers, just a year or so beforehand.

A year later the LMS did themselves the replacement stock on the Liverpool-Southport line, built at Derby, which Fairburn must have been even more involved in, and these come over as, in general design terms, something of a crib of the Wirral units.

Now we moved to living in the Wirral in the 1960s-70s, so I got very familiar with this stock, and it always seemed that the Wirral units well ahead of the Southport ones; the latter rattled, from the doors and ventilators, the motors vibrated, and surprisingly even the paint didn't seem to adhere to the body, with large patches fully peeled off. The bodies of the Southport units also long looked battered, unlike the Wirral units. They were both overhauled by that time together at Horwich, with the same interion grey paint and Trojan moquette used, so insides at least looked similar. But were a notable distance apart in smartness. I saw photos of the Wirral units being broken up for scrap around 1979 behind Birkenhead North depot, and they still looked well-presented.

Now I wonder if Mr Stanier took a ride in both, to make the comparison, and whether he lifted half an eyebrow to Mr Fairburn.

Irascible

Established Member
I would’ve been interested to see what Collett’s idea of original standardisation would’ve been.
You could probably do a lot with a Royal Scot & a Swindonesque boiler - various combos of cyls & drivers & so forth. What Collett would have done for heavy freight is something to think about, I think the Super D had had it's day.

70014IronDuke

Established Member

Hmmmm. I don't think all of it is correct.

AIUI, the LMS was impressed with the Castle and did want to buy a batch from the GWR (50 sounds about right), but they were stopped by the government (would that have been the Board of Trade?) because it was deemed unfair to the private manufacturers. (I'm not sure why, possibly because of fears of cross or hidden subsidies.)

I'm neutral on the 'lending drawings' question, ie I don't know.

However, on the story of the SR lending drawings to North British, I believe evidence shows this is a myth - poppycock, even.

About 15-20 years ago, on the then LMS e-group, this story was discussed. In the group was an older gent who had worked as an apprentice in the North British drawing office. He was there when closure came, and knowing history was being lost, or threatened with such, he went through the drawing office files, and found hundreds of blueprints, all carefully numbered and recorded. I think he actually mentioned some interesting classes/designs, which I've forgotten.

But of Lord Nelsons there was no drawings, nor trace of such, ie no missing numbers around the time that any drawings that might have come, been recorded, but subsequently been lost.

He concluded there were none, and never had been. My thesis is that in the mid-1920s, it would have been normal around the bar room table (or platform trolley if under 18) for folks to talk about the similarity, at least externally, of the LN and parallel-boilered Scots, and this is how the tale began.

OF course, they looked quite similar, they were both designed to do similar jobs within the same loading gauge - but equally, in the guts, they were about as different as you could get - the LN was four-cylinder, the Scot was three, although they both had Walschaerts gear, of course. But if the whole point (as the myth goes) was for the LMW to 'big-up' its locomotive fleet ASAP, why go to the bother of redesigning the cylinder arrangement, and all the valve gear and associate gubbins?

My conclusion is on the lines of the NB draughtsman, largely based on his research. It is simply false.

Now that sounds a highly cost-efficient solution: no more outlays on separate designs, more parts, just knock up another what, 15 x 47xx?

What improvements were needed? I thought the 47xx were supposedly good machines, bar their RA?

.... It did mean that Mr Churchward's legacy powered half the railways of Britain, until Riddles ruined it all. There, that's been said. Stand by for incoming missiles.
You need to be better informed about the latest high-tech methods.

Put it this way, it's been said that former paint shop experts at Derby have been spotted in a garage wearing special, all encompassing suits and breathing apparatus, and that one had died an horrible death after an accident working with some new chemicals.

I'd wipe your outside door handles three times a day and carefully burn the tissue afterwards if I were you.
:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.