• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the Covid-19 Exit Strategy of 'Zero Covid' countries such as Hong Kong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Removalist sounds to me a member of some religion (cf. Adventist, Baptist, Creationist, Biblical Literalist etc.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
Yes, but the Australian adaptation of the standard English has been magnificent. For example, ‘garbo’ is like a dustbin man (I presume from garbage) whereas I’d imagine like someone like Greta Garbo. I’ve heard Australians are smashing people as long as you don’t mind them taking the p*ss out of you because you are English. I’d love to visit there soon…oh, hang on…

TravelDream

Removalist sounds to me a member of some religion (cf. Adventist, Baptist, Creationist, Biblical Literalist etc.)
I thought initially it was someone who wanted to remove restrictions.

Yes, but the Australian adaptation of the standard English has been magnificent. For example, ‘garbo’ is like a dustbin man (I presume from garbage)
They seem to love the -o thing. I was watching one of those beach rescue things and they said they needed an ambo. I thought she was talking about a bandage brand or something. Turns out ambo is ambulance.

Pakenhamtrain

brad465

Established Member
The caseload is starting to look pronounced in Australia, with an increase of 134% in the last 7 days (worldometer reports active cases above 1,000):

1626439150820.png

And this is despite NSW having been in lockdown a while now.

Pakenhamtrain

The caseload is starting to look pronounced in Australia, with an increase of 134% in the last 7 days (worldometer reports active cases above 1,000):

View attachment 99774

And this is despite NSW having been in lockdown a while now.
Just about all of them are in Sydney. What Sydney have is a mockdown. Apparently going shopping for a designer handbag is essential. The lockdown in Sydney still sees things like shopping centres and retail open. In comparison in Victoria retail is click and collect only.

The covid carnage continues with Adelaide now joining the lockdown party along with more of NSW.
Victoria's lockdown has been extended for another 7 days.

Last edited:

brad465

Established Member
Looks like anger appears to be growing at the overall situation in Australia:

Anger is growing in Australia as 13 million people - about half the population - endure fresh lockdowns to quash Covid outbreaks.

A third state, South Australia, joined Victoria and parts of New South Wales in lockdown on Tuesday.

Fewer than 14% of Australians are vaccinated - the worst rating among OECD nations.

Australia's two biggest cities, Sydney and Melbourne, are among places facing uncertainty over when to re-open.

Many people have expressed frustration at being back in highly policed lockdowns 18 months into the pandemic.

Re-openings in the UK and the US have increased pressure on the federal government.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has been heavily criticised over the slow vaccination rate, but has resisted calls to apologise.

"No country has got their pandemic response 100%. I think Australians understand that," he told reporters on Wednesday.

He again cited Australia's success in keeping overall infections well below many nations. It has recorded 915 deaths.

Mr Morrison noted that the UK had seen over 90 deaths in a single day on Tuesday.

But Labor frontbencher Jim Chalmers said: "This is a prime minister who hides while people hurt."

Until recently, Australia had been largely praised for its strategy of border closures, quarantine programmes and snap lockdowns.

But the highly contagious Delta variant has challenged these defences in the past month.

The outbreak in Sydney - Australia's largest city - has infected more than 1,500 people.

Officials reported 110 new cases on Wednesday, despite the city's fourth week of lockdown.

Residents must not leave their homes except for grocery shopping, exercise and other essential reasons.

There are fears Sydney's lockdown could extend into September, after modelling showed the city may be months from eliminating cases.

South Australians will endure seven days at home after five cases of the Delta variant were found.

Victoria - which saw 22 new infections on Wednesday - will keep its lockdown until at least Tuesday.
Scott Morrison has also used us in a whataboutery comparison, which for his sake could backfire if the situation doesn't get any better for a long time.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I'm not surprised, they don't seem to have any cohesive way out. And I suspect when their vaccination programme actually gets somewhere that politicians won't be further pushing back as we've seen elsewhere. It could be years before countries like theirs can ever hope to get back to some form of normality. In the meantime their populations will start to suffer more and more, and get angrier & angrier.

brad465

Established Member
I'm not surprised, they don't seem to have any cohesive way out. And I suspect when their vaccination programme actually gets somewhere that politicians won't be further pushing back as we've seen elsewhere. It could be years before countries like theirs can ever hope to get back to some form of normality. In the meantime their populations will start to suffer more and more, and get angrier & angrier.
In the case of Australia there's a federal election next year, if normality isn't back by then and the population have had enough the LN coalition can expect to be punished in it.

Pakenhamtrain

Scott Morrison has also used us in a whataboutery comparison, which for his sake could backfire if the situation doesn't get any better for a long time.
He got grilled on FM radio of all things today:

FM in Australia is hardly hard hitting radio.

In the case of Australia there's a federal election next year, if normality isn't back by then and the population have had enough the LN coalition can expect to be punished in it.
The last Newspoll had Labor 53-47 to Liberal. Trusting the polls is fraught with danger however. He has well an truely p***ed off Victorians given how fast he was to give handouts to NSW.
The issue Labor has is the very bias Murdoch media.

brad465

Established Member
Brisbane has been awarded the 2032 Olympics, but the way things are going all the Athletes and organisers will still have to quarantine there on arrival.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Brisbane has been awarded the 2032 Olympics, but the way things are going all the Athletes and organisers will still have to quarantine there on arrival.
Well given that both Australia & New Zealand have been pulled from the Rugby League World Cup because England "isn't safe" for the players ( o_O ), I can't see many countries being allowed to go there any time soon for sports. Perhaps this is the plan, isolate themselves long enough to declare themselves World Champions....

Bantamzen

Established Member
Sydney will be just leaving lock down by then.
It might not matter by then. Rumours abound that some of the Aussie & Kiwi RL players are thinking about changing allegiances so that they can take part. So if the nanny-state governments carry on the way they are, they might wake up one morning and find lots of their athletes have defected.

Yew

Established Member
It might not matter by then. Rumours abound that some of the Aussie & Kiwi RL players are thinking about changing allegiances so that they can take part. So if the nanny-state governments carry on the way they are, they might wake up one morning and find lots of their athletes have defected.
So we might see a return of "The Dominion of Australia" at the world championships :D

brad465

Established Member
And the anti-lockdown protests have started:

Demonstrations have taken place in Australian cities against tight restrictions imposed to tackle a rise in Covid cases.

Thousands gathered in Sydney, with smaller protests held in Melbourne and Brisbane.

People chanted "freedom" as they marched through the centre of Sydney. Officers said they had made 57 arrests.

Australian governments have re-imposed lockdowns across the country amid a surge in new infections.

The arrival of the highly contagious Delta variant has challenged the country's previous strategy of border closures, quarantine programmes and snap lockdowns which helped keep cases low.

Vaccination rates remain the lowest among developed nations, with fewer than 14% of people jabbed.

On Saturday thousands of people marched to the centre of Sydney through the suburb of Haymarket.

New South Wales (NSW) health authority had moments ago declared the area a Covid hotspot, public broadcaster ABC News reports.

Some held placards reading "Drop your mask, raise your voice" and "Wake Up Australia".

Protesters blocked roads and gathered outside Sydney's town hall. One group threw bottles at mounted officers.

"The NSW Police Force recognises and supports the rights of individuals and groups to exercise their rights of free speech and peaceful assembly, however, today's protest is in breach of the current Covid-19 Public Health Orders," a statement from the force read.

bengley

Established Member
Unsurprising. Most of the world is getting back to normal when Australia are locking down for handfuls of cases.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Unsurprising. Most of the world is getting back to normal when Australia are locking down for handfuls of cases.
I get the impression that a lot of Aussies have been mocking the UK this year, calling us 'plague island', etc...

I wonder if they will be quite as smug when they are still having regular snap lockdowns this time next year??

MARK

Yew

Established Member
I get the impression that a lot of Aussies have been mocking the UK this year, calling us 'plague island', etc...

I wonder if they will be quite as smug when they are still having regular snap lockdowns this time next year??

MARK
It doesn't take a particularly imaginative mind to come up with the retort 'prison colony'.

nlogax

Established Member
That seems to be the make up at the start but it soon grows to Joe Bloggs etc. Certainly thats what happened in the UK

Saturday's London demo was again dominated by the nutcases. Icke, Hopkins, Shemirani all present and correct. No matter how large the contingent of Joe and Josephine Bloggs, anti-lockdown and anti-restriction protests are always going to be saddled with the frootloops. Because of that such protests remain counterproductive.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Saturday's London demo was again dominated by the nutcases. Icke, Hopkins, Shemirani all present and correct. No matter how large the contingent of Joe and Josephine Bloggs, anti-lockdown and anti-restriction protests are always going to be saddled with the frootloops. Because of that such protests remain counterproductive.
I went to the "bog one" a few weeks ago and whilst there were the crusty lot etc they were very much in the minority. What they do tend to have is the experience in doing these things and therefore the organisation to be the vocal ones.

MikeWM

Established Member

I was there on Saturday, and it didn't really matter much to those attending who was on the stage, or what they said, because you couldn't hear it anyway - the sound system was awful. The march afterwards was much better than the 'rally'.

There's a lot of people in the anti-social-credit-system crowd (as I think we need to call this now, because that's what it is morphing into) who don't think the strategy was correct on Saturday.

However, I'd say the people in the crowd, if not those on the stage, were a highly representative cross-section of society, im terms of age, gender, ethnicity etc.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
There's a lot of people in the anti-social-credit-system crowd
Sorry but a protest where the main speakers talk about the vaccine being poison, about hanging doctors and nurses, about 5G being evil etc etc cannot be labeled an "anti social credit system" protest. It was a conspiracy theory / antivax protest - simple as. Lots of people may not have realised that or been there for that - but you can't ignore what the organisers and leaders of the protest were talking about!!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Agreed; the best thing Australians can do is to get vaccinated (when able to) and live their lives as normally as possible and not take too much notice of guidelines, as well as voting against the most pro-restriction parties, rather than organise protests that are counterproductive in nature.

Sadly it is not easy to do battle with pro-restriction governments or individuals as they will always claim to have the moral high ground, even though that is far from the case.

MikeWM

Established Member
Sorry but a protest where the main speakers talk about the vaccine being poison, about hanging doctors and nurses, about 5G being evil etc etc cannot be labeled an "anti social credit system" protest. It was a conspiracy theory / antivax protest - simple as. Lots of people may not have realised that or been there for that - but you can't ignore what the organisers and leaders of the protest were talking about!!

But they could easily be ignored - as I said, you couldn't even hear them if you were there! Sounds like you've managed to pick up more of what they were saying without being there... :)

WelshBluebird

Established Member
But they could easily be ignored - as I said, you couldn't even hear them if you were there! Sounds like you've managed to pick up more of what they were saying without being there... :)
There was fairly substantial coverage of it on Twitter where it was bloody clear what was being said.
If you disagree with the organisers of the protest then why go to it?
Surely you can see how it looks going to a protest but then trying to disagree with what the organisers of that protest are saying?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this thread is to discuss the exit strategy of Australia and New Zealand :)

nlogax

Established Member
There's a lot of people in the anti-social-credit-system crowd (as I think we need to call this now, because that's what it is morphing into) who don't think the strategy was correct on Saturday.

However, I'd say the people in the crowd, if not those on the stage, were a highly representative cross-section of society, im terms of age, gender, ethnicity etc.

Completely agree with the change of protest tack - the pandemic has give new impetus to schemes that the UK government could have only dreamed of implementing beforehand. That makes it all the more important to declare a complete disassociation between the wider audience of genuine protesters and the established pack of high profile numbskulls. How that happens in an environment where these things are lost a sea of media reports that more interested in the conspiracy theory idiots, I honestly don't know. No-one really reported on the direction of protest you reported. News and social media just focused on the nutters. Shemirani in particular did some huge damage and was the main media heatsink for the entire weekend.

Agreed; the best thing Australians can do is just live their lives as normally as possible and not take too much notice of guidelines, as well as voting against the most pro-restriction parties, rather than organise protests that are counterproductive in nature.

Taking it back to the topic in hand, Australian citizens are being dealt an extremely raw deal at the moment and I see the protests getting worse in the short term. Meanwhile I'm extremely surprised at the situation in NZ. Protests seem few and far between and it feels like they're pretty happy with their lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.