• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the Covid-19 Exit Strategy of 'Zero Covid' countries such as Hong Kong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pakenhamtrain

What happens if one or more bus drivers test positive?? o_O

MARK
Given the amount of works on the railways over the last 7-8 years we are well versed in running Railway replacement buses.
We have the whose who of buses.

V/Line had some trains running today. Seymour trains were the only one running.

Last edited:

brad465

Established Member
I notice that cases in NSW appear to have peaked and have been declining in recent days (although active cases are still over 14,000), but the situation in Victoria is seeing charges on the rise markedly, helping keep daily cases not far below 2,000 for Australia as a whole.

Pakenhamtrain

Bantamzen

Established Member
The anti vax crazies have managed to get the construction industry shut down for two weeks after trying to start a riot out the front of the Construction Forestry Energy and Mining Union (CFMEU)
Crazy response if you ask me! Talk about cutting off their noses to spite their faces. The covid response Down Under gets stranger by the day!

Pakenhamtrain

Crazy response if you ask me! Talk about cutting off their noses to spite their faces. The covid response Down Under gets stranger by the day!
Basically the government made it mandatory for construction to get at least one jab and the CFMEU agreed to that. A few members were not happy at that and went to HQ. During the day the anti vax lot showed up(The same lot that caused trouble on Saturday protesting in Richmond) and started trouble.

I suspect the crazies wanted the industry to shut down. It employs 300,000 people who are now very angry at the government.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Basically the government made it mandatory for construction to get at least one jab and the CFMEU agreed to that. A few members were not happy at that and went to HQ. During the day the anti vax lot showed up(The same lot that caused trouble on Saturday protesting in Richmond) and started trouble.

I suspect the crazies wanted the industry to shut down. It employs 300,000 people who are now very angry at the government.
So the government wants to teach them a lesson by shutting the entire industry down? Yep, that's crazy! Good job its not the health sector workers involved....

island

Veteran Member
New Zealand has dropped Auckland from level 4 to 3 restrictions where it will stay for at least 2 weeks.

Pakenhamtrain

So the government wants to teach them a lesson by shutting the entire industry down? Yep, that's crazy! Good job its not the health sector workers involved....
The story is more complicated than that. Cases have been going up in the construction industry for a couple of weeks. The government did a bit of investigating and found the was about 30 percent compliance with the rules and found a lot of the spread was happening in tea rooms.
So the government made it mandatory for construction workers to have at least one dose and closed the tea rooms.
The union while not likeing the idea of mandatory vax agreed to keep construction open.
Last Friday the construction workers protested the closure of the tea rooms by taking thier tables and chairs outside and having it on the road.

Monday some construction workers protested out the front of the CFMEU building unhappy about the mandatory vax. During the day the anti vax crowd joined in and damaged the building.
Last night the government shut down construction as a result.

Today we had more riots with anti vaxers cosplaying as construction workers.

Bantamzen

Established Member
The story is more complicated than that. Cases have been going up in the construction industry for a couple of weeks. The government did a bit of investigating and found the was about 30 percent compliance with the rules and found a lot of the spread was happening in tea rooms.
So the government made it mandatory for construction workers to have at least one dose and closed the tea rooms.
The union while not likeing the idea of mandatory vax agreed to keep construction open.
Last Friday the construction workers protested the closure of the tea rooms by taking thier tables and chairs outside and having it on the road.

Monday some construction workers protested out the front of the CFMEU building unhappy about the mandatory vax. During the day the anti vax crowd joined in and damaged the building.

And frankly I don't blame them for being unhappy. Firstly why the heck do construction workers need vaccines if they choose not to have them, and secondly Australia is so far behind with their vaccination programme that some might nit even have had a chance yet. Either way the anti-vaxxers in the equation are just an excuse, the local government don't need to shut down construction, but they are addicted to lockdowns. In the end they are only hurting both the workers and the industry to be seen to be doing something. They really need t grow up.

DustyBin

Established Member
And frankly I don't blame them for being unhappy. Firstly why the heck do construction workers need vaccines if they choose not to have them, and secondly Australia is so far behind with their vaccination programme that some might nit even have had a chance yet. Either way the anti-vaxxers in the equation are just an excuse, the local government don't need to shut down construction, but they are addicted to lockdowns. In the end they are only hurting both the workers and the industry to be seen to be doing something. They really need t grow up.

I’m inclined to agree, as an outsider looking in these appear to be the actions of an authoritarian government. It will be interesting to see the reaction in Australia (and New Zealand) when it becomes apparent that the vaccines don’t completely prevent people contracting, transmitting or becoming ill with the virus. From speaking to a contact on another forum who’s based in New Zealand, the belief seems to be that once everybody is vaccinated it will be over, but as I keep saying that’s not necessarily the case (although it could be if the political will was there). What’s the general feeling in Australia @Pakenhamtrain? Do you think the vaccines will be enough?

Pakenhamtrain

I’m inclined to agree, as an outsider looking in these appear to be the actions of an authoritarian government. It will be interesting to see the reaction in Australia (and New Zealand) when it becomes apparent that the vaccines don’t completely prevent people contracting, transmitting or becoming ill with the virus. From speaking to a contact on another forum who’s based in New Zealand, the belief seems to be that once everybody is vaccinated it will be over, but as I keep saying that’s not necessarily the case (although it could be if the political will was there). What’s the general feeling in Australia @Pakenhamtrain? Do you think the vaccines will be enough?
It should be. We are seeing in NSW the case numbers are dropping. Even in Victoria they're not rising as much.

DustyBin

Established Member
We have the medical groups wanting the lockdowns to continue until 90 percent.

That doesn't surprise me to be honest. Even at 90% there needs to be an acceptance that infections, hospitalisations and deaths still occur, and can reach fairly high levels if our experience is anything to go by. Without this acceptance you'll be stuck in a cycle of restrictions.

35B

Established Member

How is the shutdown interacting with the need for some construction work following today's earthquake?

Reliablebeam

The scenes coming out of Melbourne are something else - horrifying. Places I remember well. This whole covid crisis and the government response has made me understand how civil wars happen.

kristiang85

Established Member
The scenes coming out of Melbourne are something else - horrifying. Places I remember well. This whole covid crisis and the government response has made me understand how civil wars happen.

Someone on Twitter commented 'Does anybody else get the feeling Australia is being used as a test case to see how far a Western population can be pushed?'.

Obviously it's a bit tongue in cheek, but given their gradual loss of reality down there, you do wonder sometimes!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Someone on Twitter commented 'Does anybody else get the feeling Australia is being used as a test case to see how far a Western population can be pushed?'.

Obviously it's a bit tongue in cheek, but given their gradual loss of reality down there, you do wonder sometimes!
Australia isn't a normal place nor has it ever been. It was set up not just by convicts, but also their jailers too.

Berliner

I've long thought this and many others I know are starting to wonder the same. All I know is a country that has effectively banned its own citizens from returning and treats people like prisoners when they do somehow get in, is not one I wish to visit again, so I'd be quite happy never setting foot there again. I am not one for praising the UK's response, but at least this country was always open for citizens to return, and even those in hotel quarantine can get fresh air and exercise outdoors, unlike in Australia, where they get away with putting people in rooms without opening windows. Even when it was "illegal" to leave the UK it was a very soft-touch approach, unlike in Australia. Although I never understood the logic behind preventing people from leaving, at least it was fairly short-lived here.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Although I never understood the logic behind preventing people from leaving, at least it was fairly short-lived here.

Not that I agree with it but I think the logic is that most people who leave tend to come back after a short time. It's not so much the leaving they're worried about but the coming back.

35B

Established Member
Not that I agree with it but I think the logic is that most people who leave tend to come back after a short time. It's not so much the leaving they're worried about but the coming back.
Not least that the politics of access to Australia under these rules are difficult - it would be very possible to leave for a fortnight and then be stranded abroad.

Berliner

But they already had measures in place for those coming back, so did the UK. If people were prepared to pay the cost of hotel quarentine, when it was being applied across the board in the UK, then that's their choice and something they should have been able to face if they wanted to. I just don't see why it needed to be a criminal act to leave when there were already such deterrents in place for those who chose to come into the country at the time. Making it illegal to leave was abhorrent in my view, nothing short of dictatorship. It's moot anyway as they got away with it and now, thankfully, we have been able to leave again for many months.

kristiang85

Established Member
Interestingly, Australia has had 5% excess deaths in the first half of 2021, yet in that time there was only one COVID death.

One could say their harsh lockdown policies haven't done that nation's health much good... (although obviously more data is needed before you can say for sure)

Attachments

• ozexcess.JPG
    ozexcess.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 13

Simon11

Established Member
Interestingly, Australia has had 5% excess deaths in the first half of 2021, yet in that time there was only one COVID death.

One could say their harsh lockdown policies haven't done that nation's health much good... (although obviously more data is needed before you can say for sure)
Or could there be a possibility that not enough tests are being done?

Status
Not open for further replies.