• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What number is this bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ert47

after that break in service, we're back in london:

South of the river, it's a route that has a loop at one end. Unusually, the bus changes the direction it runs round this loop part way through the day.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
did everyone lose interest?

r5/r10?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member

No, they run opposite ways round the same loop, alternately.

I'm looking for just one route number which runs round the loop for some trips and then at some point in the day just runs the other way round.

There was a proposal some years back to run the same way round the loop all day but the consultation met with local opposition.

You are right in looking at routes with letters.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Think this one may be one of the Kingston or Bexleyheath area local routes, prob wrong but i'll have a go at K1

Not the K1.

You may be on the right lines though.
Noone else fancy thier chances?

dzug2

Well it's been a couple of weeks since there was any activity so I'll try a new one.

This service is normally operated by Optare single deckers. It acts as a courier and staff bus for the organisation that sponsors it but is also open to the general public. The buses have a special compartment (for want of a better word) for the 'freight'. There are just two intermediate stops on its 40 minute journey

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Oops, please accept my apologies - I wrote quite a detailed reply to ert47's quess congratulating them on getting it right and giving a little history.

Unfortunately it seems it did not post and I then went on holiday.

sonic2009

Established Member
Well it's been a couple of weeks since there was any activity so I'll try a new one.

This service is normally operated by Optare single deckers. It acts as a courier and staff bus for the organisation that sponsors it but is also open to the general public. The buses have a special compartment (for want of a better word) for the 'freight'. There are just two intermediate stops on its 40 minute journey

Optare Solos run the service, although a substitute may appear

Route 99 Cheltenham Racecourse Park and Ride - Gloucester Royal Hospital via Cheltenham Albion Street & Cheltenham General Hospital only

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

34D

Established Member

This could be the NHS-sponsored service in Sheffield which links the Royal Hallamshire and Northern General hospitals (assuming the two stops to be eother end of the route).

Ivo

Established Member
Okie-doke then. Just don't expect a fast response before the weekend.

Starting in Romford, this service runs to a high frequency and covers precisely two other notable localities, before terminating in what is effectively a suburb of a suburb. It is not a particularly long route, but still manages to turn out a decker on every journey under normal circumstances. It has an interchange outside of central Romford (as well as in central Romford) with at least one of London's most prominent routes to not enter the central area.

Ivo

Established Member
Not the 165.

Hmm depends what you mean by "notable".

If you mentioned their names, anyone who knows East London even remotely well should know where you mean.

EXAMPLE: If you said "Clayhall", even East Londoners may not know where you mean. If you said "Hainault", there is a good chance they would.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Sounds like it might be the 248 to me, serving Hornchurch and Upminster before terminating in the latter's suburb of Cranham. Not sure what the notable outer London route it interchanges with in two places might be though (370?)

Ivo

Established Member
It is indeed the 248. The major route I referred to was the 5, which runs parallel to it in the Clydesdale Way area in the south of Romford - if travelling from Barking to Upminster for example, alight at Clydesdale Way and cross the road. And hope you don't miss the one you're supposed to be on as I did :roll:

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Oh, Roneo Corner. I'm afraid I still remember when you could get the 5 to Waterloo (and find its absorption of part of the 87 quite odd) that I still don't think of it is an outer London route...for all that it now is.

open floor I think, as I'm in the middle of moving house and my internet access is likely to be quite limited for a while

Rich McLean

Established Member
Right, here it goes,

This route is in the South West of England. It is one service, split into two, where one works clockwise round much of the route, and the other anti-clockwise.

The core route is up to every 10 minutes, and the service in each direction on the circuit is every 20 minutes.

It serves a City Centre and a suburban area of the city.

There are two bus operators which serve much of the route.

Enviro 200's with leather seats used to operate this route, but it is now run by mix of low floor Dennis Dart's

Any Guesses?
Another clue to the post above, the main Rival Bus Operator in the city in question is operated by First

Rich McLean

Established Member
This Route Terminates in Plymouth City Center, and operates as a circular route with no other Terminus point

Ivo

Established Member
I don't know Plymouth as well as I would liked so it will have to be a guess - the 5/5A to Plymstock? I don't know what vehicles are used on this route.

Ivo

Established Member
Let's try another one then...

This route starts in Brighton, a short distance outside of the city centre, and operates along one of the city's major bus corridors, before terminating just inside the city boundary. It runs to a very high frequency and is supplemented on journeys between the central area and the busy terminus area by several other routes, including one which operates as an extension of another high-frequency route. A 24-hour service also exists on this route.

Ivo

Established Member
I left that out of the clue deliberately because some do and some don't. This one does - at TEN MINUTE INTERVALS!

The night service is probably the most frequent in the UK outside of London (and even then, very few in London operate that frequently).

Ivo

Established Member
Not the 14A. The "parallel" route actually shares very little route with the route in question, but does at least provide extra capacity between the city centre and the out-of-centre terminus on the route. Note the additional information in post #328 also - the night bus equivalent runs at 10-minute intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.