• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What population database, if any, can conductors/RPIs check?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Do you have the same ID cards as people from the mainland, or are there any differences? I know your passports have Åland on them.

Speaking of the Finnish register, is it true that anyone can look up anyone's tax details, including the amount of tax paid?

I think it's Sweden where tax returns are public?

I seem to remember - it's ages since I was there - that one difference in Åland is that it's the only part of Finland where you have one official language rather than two - and it's not Finish! I believe you only need to learn Swedish there, though everywhere else in Finland you learn Finish (of course) but also Swedish too. It was part of the treaty settling the status of the islands a century ago after they were fought/argued over by Sweden, Finland, Russia, Germany, etc.

Another aspect of the treaty was that they're demilitarised - one result of which is that Finnish conscription law doesn't apply there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
I think it's Sweden where tax returns are public?
Norway makes tax returns public, and the article https://theculturetrip.com/europe/norway/articles/norway-country-public-tax-returns/ has title "Why Norway Is the Only Country With Public Tax Returns".

In the article it refers to "Sweden's policy of publishing everyone's salaries" and goes on to say "In Sweden and Finland, people can find out about anyone else’s tax returns just by making a phone call, but Norway is the only country where you can just look up that information on a government website."

Nothing in the article I"ve quoted says that Sweden doesn't make tax returns public, either, it just seems that Norway goes out of its way to make them public whereas in Sweden it appears that you have to ask for the information - still sounds pretty "public" to me.

Last edited:

Jaden_emerald

Do you have the same ID cards as people from the mainland, or are there any differences? I know your passports have Åland on them.
Our IDs are the same, but our driving licences also have "Åland" on it. Regarding the passport, you get it if having the right of abode on Åland, i.e. if being a Finnish national and either a) being born on Åland and not having resided outside for 5+ consecutive years, or 2) having acquired it by application after residing on Åland for at least 5 years.

...one difference in Åland is that it's the only part of Finland where you have one official language rather than two - and it's not Finish! I believe you only need to learn Swedish there, though everywhere else in Finland you learn Finish (of course) but also Swedish too. It was part of the treaty settling the status of the islands a century ago after they were fought/argued over by Sweden, Finland, Russia, Germany, etc.
Another aspect of the treaty was that they're demilitarised - one result of which is that Finnish conscription law doesn't apply there.
Correct, Finnish nationals are exempt from military service if having resided on Åland since no later than the age of 12, and possessing the right of abode. And indeed we're Swedish speakers (with an accent in-between the standard accents of Sweden and Finland) and usually don't really know Finnish (incl. myself). Always funny how communication with border officers at Helsinki airport is frequently done in English.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
When I got a UFN for forgetting my Railcard on TPE, they checked my address on their phone with my Driving License.
Anyone can check an address is genuine, but checking a name matches that address is a different matter.

TPE Revenue Staff (and a few Conductors as part of a trial) have access to a mobile phone app which replaces the need to phone an agency. This allows the user to search the database electronically by inputting some of the address data. You cannot search by name, but you can search for previously issued UFNs, PFs, TIRs by name and by any TOC which uses the same system, which is a few now. Access to the app is password protected, unique to the user, and all searches are logged.

matt_world2004

Established Member
TPE Revenue Staff (and a few Conductors as part of a trial) have access to a mobile phone app which replaces the need to phone an agency. This allows the user to search the database electronically by inputting some of the address data. You cannot search by name, but you can search for previously issued UFNs, PFs, TIRs by name and by any TOC which uses the same system, which is a few now. Access to the app is password protected, unique to the user, and all searches are logged.
Are their records of searches to ensure it is not misused?

87 027

As stated in the post you quoted, yes there are.

I would suggest that the mere existence of a log is not of itself sufficient; to be an effective control against misuse there should be some sort of check (on a random basis perhaps) to give assurance that searches are backed by a legitimate business purpose, and that where no such justification is available the matter is escalated further

35B

Established Member
I would suggest that the mere existence of a log is not of itself sufficient; to be an effective control against misuse there should be some sort of check (on a random basis perhaps) to give assurance that searches are backed by a legitimate business purpose, and that where no such justification is available the matter is escalated further
Such systems tend to come with quite extensive usage audit facilities, which are very capable of picking up irregular usage patterns. I recall 15 years ago attending a demonstration of one system (not in this particular environment), itself of considerable vintage, and where the manager organising the demonstration had to close the demo within 5 minutes to avoid exposing the administrative user to potential disciplinary action.

87 027

Such systems tend to come with quite extensive usage audit facilities, which are very capable of picking up irregular usage patterns. I recall 15 years ago attending a demonstration of one system (not in this particular environment), itself of considerable vintage, and where the manager organising the demonstration had to close the demo within 5 minutes to avoid exposing the administrative user to potential disciplinary action.

I agree and the key point as you say is that the audit facilities should be actively made use of. Logs which are silently captured in the background and no-one reviews or acts upon are of limited value as a preventive or detective control against abuse, although they might provide valuable forensic information should there be a subsequent investigation into misuse

WesternLancer

Established Member
Good that they have access to this info, yet it's beyond the ability of the railway to have a central online instantly accessible database of valid railcards and their owner's details that staff can consult which might help resolve some of these problems on the spot...

Status
Not open for further replies.