• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What products can you remember that have disappeared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
Another nostalgia thread, vaguely following on from this one:

When I grew up in the 60s there used to be various soap powders: I remember Daz, Omo, Oxydol and Persil. Now the first and the last have survived, but the other two have disappeared without trace.

Similarly, there were Wiskas and Kit-E-Kat cat foods, the latter being cheaper than the former (and smelling so). The former survives.

Presumably people in the 60s had very dirty baths, as products like Vim and Ajax were heavily advertised as ‘scouring powders’ but then again ‘Flash cleans baths without scratching’. I think Flash survives, and Ajax turned into a less-abrasive liquid, but poor old Vim!

Any other examples?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Think 'Omo' is still a Unilever brand name, but the product(s) are possibly now only actively marketed outwith the UK, such as in South Africa and Australasia.

Last edited:

Steddenm

Smiths Cheese Moments - little fried pockets containing "real" cheese.

Digital Compact Cassette - as the name says, a digital tape(?)

Kellogg's Ricicles - Frosties-style Rixe Krispies

Kellogg's Rasin Splits - little wheat pockets with a rasin in the middle (they also did a version sans rasins and covered in sugar called Frostied Wheats)

Walkers Beef & Onion Crisps - thankfully Tayto still make these

gswindale

Kellogg's Rasin Splits - little wheat pockets with a rasin in the middle (they also did a version sans rasins and covered in sugar called Frostied Wheats)
Raisin Splits became Raisin Wheats and are still available (I believe - Tesco's website still shows them and Frosted Wheats with somewhat updated packaging to what I remember)

gg1

Established Member
Does anyone remember the bright green coleslaw you could buy in the 80s?

No one I mention this to has any memory of it but it definitely existed, I remember it tasted pretty similar to regular coleslaw

Fry's 5 centre chocolate bars

…and Fry’s 5 Boys chocolate bars.

My (long deceased) Grandad would sometimes treat me with either a bar of 5 Boys chocolate, or a packet of Nestles Munchies.
Wiki says they stopped making it in 1976.

gg1

Established Member

najaB

Veteran Member
They were withdrawn from sale in 1982 when the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) alleged a breach of the Trade Descriptions Act 1968 as the product was flavoured with pork fat and herbs and contained no actual hedgehog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog_Flavour_Crisps
I think that they would have been fine actually since they just said that they were hedgehog flavour. In much the same way that cherry flavour products often contain no cherry or most vanilla flavour is made from a by-product of paper production rather than actual vanilla.

jrh2254

Virgin voyager freshly ground coffee from the shop. Replaced with a trolley and sachet coffee - very sad.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Lyons Maid ice cream, the main competitor to Walls when I was growing up, but to my childish tastebuds slightly inferior, the exception being the Mivvi lollipop which contained ice cream and came in strawberry and (my favourite) raspberry flavours. There was also an Elderado brand of choc ice that was sold in certain cinemas and the very occasional sweetshop, and was peerless in my estimation. About a mile down the road from where I grew up a Canadian firm called Nielsen's had an ice cream factory, but I never saw the product on sale. By the way, I've read that Lyons Maid has made a comeback under new owners, but its presence is underwhelming.

John Hunt

Fidelity Radios (on Victoria Rd, NW10, now HS2 construction site)

Vidor Batteries

Walls Ice Cream Factory was on Friary Rd, W3, opposite Acton Mainline Station (I passed this place on my way to work late 1970s)

PeterY

Established Member
McVities used to make a biscuit called Royal Scot. They were lovely.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
McVities used to make a biscuit called Royal Scot. They were lovely.
I remember seeing them as a kid, but they must have been gone for some time, as I don't ever remember handling them at all when I was working in retail (I started in 1995).

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Green Heinz Ketchup (think it was a special for the film "Flubber").
Ruby Kit Kats (I desperately miss these :( ).
Spira is a chocolate bar all my family say was the best.
Strawberry Cocopops is a recent disappeared item I loved.
Pineapple Jaffa Cakes last year were great.
Builder's Breakfast Walker's Crisps (Also their Fish and Chips flavour has changed from nice to horrid).
I fondly remember a strawberry and cream sweet I've not seen since I was a kid.
Why do they always make awesome special editons and cut them????

Steddenm

Green Heinz Ketchup (think it was a special for the film "Flubber").
Ruby Kit Kats (I desperately miss these :( ).
Spira is a chocolate bar all my family say was the best.
Strawberry Cocopops is a recent disappeared item I loved.
Pineapple Jaffa Cakes last year were great.
Builder's Breakfast Walker's Crisps (Also their Fish and Chips flavour has changed from nice to horrid).
I fondly remember a strawberry and cream sweet I've not seen since I was a kid.
Why do they always make awesome special editons and cut them????
You can still get Strawberry Coco Pops. They have them in Asda.

Pineapple Jaffa Cakes are still in Tesco.

Status
Not open for further replies.