• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What railway projects are you most looking forward to completing in 2021?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EcsWhyZee

What projects (new trains, electrification, new stations etc) are you most looking forward to that are still currently planned to complete in 2021 (even if you suspect they may be delayed)?

Let’s try to keep it positive :)

I’ll start: Class 360 electric trains to Corby.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
What projects (new trains, electrification, new stations etc) are you most looking forward to that are still currently planned to complete in 2021 (even if you suspect they may be delayed)?

Let’s try to keep it positive :)

I’ll start: Class 360 electric trains to Corby.
So many to choose from
The Northern Line Extension is probably the closest infrastructure project to me. Others due this year include the Werrington diveunder. And maybe we might see Crossrail at last?

New services on existing track scheduled to start this year :
Ebbw Vale Line from Newport
Wolverhampton -Walsall via Willenhall
Okehampton

Trains: Classes 197, 484, 730 and 803 are due this year. Classes 196, 701 and 777 should all have entered service last year. Of these seven, only the 777 is a completely new design for the UK, so I'll go with that.

But perhaps the one I'm most looking forward to is the restoration of the Brighton Belle, although that project seems to have gone quiet recently - the web page has not been updated for over a year, and is still suggesting services could start in August 2020.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
So many to choose from
The Northern Line Extension is probably the closest infrastructure project to me. Others due this year include the Werrington diveunder. And maybe we might see Crossrail at last?

New services on existing track scheduled to start this year :
Ebbw Vale Line from Newport
Wolverhampton -Walsall via Willenhall
Okehampton

Trains: Classes 197, 484, 730 and 803 are due this year. Classes 196, 701 and 777 should all have entered service last year. Of these seven, only the 777 is a completely new design for the UK, so I'll go with that.

But perhaps the one I'm most looking forward to is the restoration of the Brighton Belle, although that project seems to have gone quiet recently - the web page has not been updated for over a year, and is still suggesting services could start in August 2020.
I was wondering about Brighton Belle recently too. I would just like to be able to travel around the UK by train again, anywhere. Take care and stay safe everyone.

xotGD

Established Member
TPE 68s and Mark 5 sets fully operational.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
If all goes well, Crossrail....

With a following wind, Soham Station might be well advanced by the end of the year.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
769 on North Downs Line for the juxtaposition of diesel engine and electric traction motor noise and seeing how they tackle the route relative to the Turbos.

If all goes well, Crossrail....
Without being negative, isn't the current estimate that the opening of Paddington to Abbey Wood will be in 2022 with through running not before the start of 2023?
https://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/articles/crossrail-project-update
Crossrail Ltd plans to bring the Elizabeth line into passenger service as soon as practically possibly in the first half of 2022.
I guess the best hope for anyone keen to ride the line in 2021 is that some level of "Trial Operations involving people being invited onto trains and stations to test real-time service scenarios" occurs before the end of the year.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
For me, it's the following that have the highest priority:

Werrington Diveunder
EMR Electrics to Corby
Elizabeth line
Luton Airport DART

All are game changing projects in their own right.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Kings Cross remodelling, excited to see how well it works.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the progress they have made on the Bletchley flyover.

Gaz55

Doncaster station's remodelling being finished, if it isn't already.

Northern's refurbishment program being completed, fingers crossed.

The works at Kings Cross and any other improvements on the ECML.

Brush 4

Kings Cross tunnel reopening.
If the Treasury doesn't suddenly stamp down on rail expenditure because of Covid related issues, which I fear then......

Okehampton
Any redoubling projects that may be out there.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
On a personal note, hopefully Crossrail running in the Central section. Otherwise, seeing the new Kings Cross layout operational.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Less disruption to West of England services from completion of further sections of the enhanced Dawlish sea wall.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Can't think of any specific projects (that would be delivered this year) but I am looking forward to the unveiling of the Intergrated Rail Plan and the proposed Leeds - Manchester route of NPHR

Amlag

Re-introduction of regular passenger trains between the West Devon and North Cornwall Railhead of Okehampton station and Exeter.

Nym

Established Member
Trying to remain positive but...

Completing the projects we had to postpone last year, and taking a good advantage of my position to make the solutions to issues poised and proposed better than those who've come before me.

tel

Personally i just want to be able to travel around the network safely again without the fear of someone breathing/coughing something nasty into the air and standing on a station photoing trains. But the the Werrington dive under definitely another new line to ride on.

Tel

dan4291

ECML power supply upgrades between Newcastle and Edinburgh to stop the ridiculous situation of TPE units running on diesel under the wires!

Class 170101

Established Member
ECML power supply upgrades between Newcastle and Edinburgh to stop the ridiculous situation of TPE units running on diesel under the wires!
Would like to see them actually run first, diesel or otherwise over this section

Non Multi

Likely completion of some stations nearby during 2021:

New Western Crossrail ticket hall and gate line buildings, new accessible footbridges:
Acton Main Line, Ealing Broadway, West Ealing, Southall, Hayes & Harlington, West Drayton. Rebuild of existing ticket hall at Taplow.

Completion of Reading Green Park station?

andreading

Likely completion of some stations nearby during 2021:

New Western Crossrail ticket hall and gate line buildings, new accessible footbridges:
Acton Main Line, Ealing Broadway, West Ealing, Southall, Hayes & Harlington, West Drayton. Rebuild of existing ticket hall at Taplow.

Completion of Reading Green Park station?
I like to see Reading Green Park completed. According to Network Rail they completed Maghull north in 9 months and Horden in six months form start on site. When I looked this week the RGP platforms were complete structurally just awaiting edging and tarmac. So I assume this can all be done within 12 months.

Attachments

• SAM_1803.JPG
    SAM_1803.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 95

Accura

As a resident of Westhoughton, Class 769's going into service on the Alderley Edge-Southport route. Sadly I'm due to move away in the next couple of months so I probably won't be around to see them go live!

On Moderation
Personally i just want to be able to travel around the network safely again without the fear of someone breathing/coughing something nasty into the air

Tel
You'd best avoid all train travel ever again, because the normal coughs/colds/flu/whatever are transmitted the same way.

I was far more ill with a flu-like virus I caught on a plane in 2019 than I was last year with Covid (well what I think was Covid - had several of the symptoms, but there was no mass testing back then).

Status
Not open for further replies.