• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What train encapulates your childhood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilWatson

Class 55 Deltic at Peterborough for me, the unmistakeable sound as it pulled away from the platform and the impressive bulk of the engine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harvester

Established Member
I remember my first Deltic haulage in August 1962, behind D9004 (then nameless) on the down Heart of Midlothian between York and Darlington. A 35 minute run was achieved, quite an experience back then, as was the impressive high speed.

L401CJF

Established Member
A 507/8 with the bright yellow interior and green tartan style seats squeaking along the jointed track on the Wirral, good times!

Journeyman

Established Member
A 507/8 with the bright yellow interior and green tartan style seats squeaking along the jointed track on the Wirral, good times!
...also remembered fondly on the Southern! 508s appeared when I was about five, and they seemed positively space-age compared to the knackered and vandalised SUBs and EPBs I was used to.

meepmeep

310s on the WCML to Euston. Either travelling on them with my parents or waiting for my father at Berkhamsted and watching stop and start

Also the 86/87 hauled "fast" trains whistling through

E100

Class 37s with my brother and mk1 / non air conditioned mk 2's on the north wales coast.

Tryfan

My early years were spent in London. My earliest memories are being at Clapham Junction with my Dad. I don’t recall the platform number, possibly 10 or 11(?) The Waterloo end seemed to protrude further than the rest and had a concrete slab reinforcement wall on one side. There was a small hump on the platform and my Dad would tell me to stand there to get the best view. There seemed to be a train every minute which was great to keep a seven year old happy. I remember “The Nelsons” on the Waterloo Portsmouth services. Three 4-COR sets. I could get the numbers of the front and rear sets but never the middle one, Dad would get those. I also loved the strange sounds of the older ex Southern Railway stock that used to stop, not sure what they were 2-BIL, 2-HAL etc. They looked really mean with the small yellow warning panel with the black triangle in it over green bodywork, with loads of hoses on the front. Messy by today’s standards. We would also see the Warships on some expresses. I knew later on they were heading for Exeter and possibly beyond.

Being in London also meant trips to the other Termini. Paddington for Westerns, Kings Cross for Deltics, St Pancras for Peaks but I’d get bored quickly and want to get back to Clapham Jcn.

Early memories of longer journeys were Peaks from St Pancras to Nottingham to see Grandparents. Loved going to look at engine before we departed. The huge long vents in the sides convinced me it had to be the best diesel.

Peaks really became common place to me when my parents divorced and Mum moved us to Long Eaton (she was a Nottingham lass originally). We lived half a mile from Toton mpd. Grandparents lived at Beeston so Grandpa would take me down there spotting. I’d stand on the old footbridge watching the expresses approaching fast from Attenborough. Happy memories

Western Sunset

Established Member
Off to Skeggy, for our summer hols, behind a B1 from Derby Friargate. Can still see the steam drifting from the engine across Darley Park, at the start of the journey.

frodshamfella

Established Member
As I'm not very good on actually train types, but someone here will know exactly what I mean, the slam door EMUs of South East London / Kent. The most exciting was a trip to Margate, Broadstairs or Ramsgate during the school summer holidays when you could go direct from Dartford. We came from Bexleyheath and changed for this service.

4COR

As I'm not very good on actually train types, but someone here will know exactly what I mean, the slam door EMUs of South East London / Kent. The most exciting was a trip to Margate, Broadstairs or Ramsgate during the school summer holidays when you could go direct from Dartford. We came from Bexleyheath and changed for this service.
Jaffa Cake livery? It was like seeing trains from another country over on the SE side of London Bridge when on rare trips to London!

tspaul26

Established Member
Dear me...

One of my very earliest memories is travelling from Warrington Bank Quay to Nailsea & Backwell with my mother and sister to see my father one Christmas.

Changing trains at Birmingham New Street and thinking “well, this is a bit of a dump”.

A young couple sat in our reserved table seats. Denied knowing that they were reserved - until my mother pointed out that the reservation labels were on the floor under the table.

Local train - Pacer - from Temple Meads to Nailsea. The dimpled bus style grab handles near the doors. One had blood on it and I distinctly remember my mother telling me not to touch it!

Out with BR; return with Virgin.

Funny what random memories stick with you, isn’t it...

Lek

Mainly deisel traction. Anything from 08's, 20's (have a secret passion for these), loads of 31's (was only up to 31/4 when I was into it in my youth), saw an abundance of 47's, 56's 58's (loved these) and 59's were only up to 004 (I managed to see three of the four). HST's were just starting to see the swift livery.

Electric traction was starting to make an appearance in my hometown of Peterborough where recent electrification to london had been introduced. 89001 was stationed in Peterborough depot for the best part of a year, although I did get hauled to work in london by it in the short period it was running. 90s were just starting to make an an appearance, as were '91's.

I've missed so much after leaving school, as I became heavily involved in the music industry, spent most of my life releasing music and playing live around the world, lockdowns bought me right back to being that local kid again, where I've been rekindling many of my childhood pastimes.

nw1

Established Member
Didn't use trains until 11 (or rather, I didn't use trains *and* remember them until 11 - I probably travelled on 304s when I was about 4 or 5) - but from that era, CIGs and VEPs in pre-NSE livery with the "old" numbering (73xx and 74xx for CIGs, 77xx and 78xx for VEPs).

Age 9? Western or class 47 thundering over Sandy Lane Level Crossing, near Kidlington. If platform, same again at Oxford.

That is my undergraduate days ... call that aged 19.

My first experience of 508s was as a 'Southern' unit, seeing them at Surbiton on Hampton Court services! Just about remember the pre-455 era in 1983... IIRC 508s dominated the SW suburban lines that year, though presumably they still used EPBs in the peaks as there would not have been enough 508s to cover all services.

Yeah, I liked the 319s! A big step forward at the time. People get nostalgic about EPBs, and as an enthusiast I liked them, but as a day to day user of the rail network, they were horrible rancid things.

I was never a regular EPB user, but I do remember getting to travel in one once and finding it quite exciting (as it was something different to the CIGs/VEPs/BEPs and occasional HAPs that were the normal trains on the Portsmouth Direct). It was October 1983 and an 8EPB substituted for some reason on the 1832 (?) Waterloo to Fratton stopper, that strange train that called at Godalming and Witley but not Farncombe. I was obviously late coming home from school for some reason that night. I think I even remember the numbers, 5123 and 5124, and IIRC both were _still_ in all over blue. In fact, I think to this day that is the only occasion I ever used an EPB, even though they were still being used on the South Eastern as late as 1993 or so.

I also remember another EPB substitution on the first day of the new timetable 1983. I worked out that the EPB must have covered the whole diagram all day without substitution, including several '82' Waterloo-Portsmouth semi-fasts, because it was there on the morning train (the 0756-ish Guildford to Portsmouth 83 stopper) and was still there in the evening on the same diagram (the 1730 Guildford to Portsmouth stopper, 1630 ex-Waterloo via Cobham). Usual unit for this was a 4CIG.

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
I was never a regular EPB user, but I do remember getting to travel in one once and finding it quite exciting (as it was something different to the CIGs/VEPs/BEPs and occasional HAPs that were the normal trains on the Portsmouth Direct). It was October 1983 and an 8EPB substituted for some reason on the 1832 (?) Waterloo to Fratton stopper, that strange train that called at Godalming and Witley but not Farncombe. I was obviously late coming home from school for some reason that night. I think I even remember the numbers, 5123 and 5124, and IIRC both were _still_ in all over blue. In fact, I think to this day that is the only occasion I ever used an EPB, even though they were still being used on the South Eastern as late as 1993 or so.

I also remember another EPB substitution on the first day of the new timetable 1983. I worked out that the EPB must have covered the whole diagram all day without substitution, including several '82' Waterloo-Portsmouth semi-fasts, because it was there on the morning train (the 0756-ish Guildford to Portsmouth 83 stopper) and was still there in the evening on the same diagram (the 1730 Guildford to Portsmouth stopper, 1630 ex-Waterloo via Cobham). Usual unit for this was a 4CIG.
My memories are a bit later. They were all blue & grey by then with nearly all the Selhurst units getting NSE livery before their demise in 1992/1993. One Sunday the Arun Valley line was blocked so the Victoria to Bognor trains were terminating at Horsham. Incredibly unit 5428 covered one of the diagrams all day. I think control were having fun because there were a few VEPs parked in the sidings. Inexplicably I took several photos but it never occurred to me to ride it to Victoria and back.

Last edited:

My first experience of 508s was as a 'Southern' unit, seeing them at Surbiton on Hampton Court services! Just about remember the pre-455 era in 1983... IIRC 508s dominated the SW suburban lines that year, though presumably they still used EPBs in the peaks as there would not have been enough 508s to cover all services.
My recollection is that SUBs as well as EPBs were quite common, not just in the peaks (I travelled home from school in mid-afternoon), until the SUBs were withdrawn in the summer of that year, presumably as more 455s arrived (I think the first 455s entered service around Easter). I can't remember whether EPBs lasted much longer on the SW than SUBs, although from what you say:
It was October 1983 and an 8EPB substituted for some reason on the 1832 (?) Waterloo to Fratton stopper
there must have still been some around that autumn.

Journeyman

Established Member
My recollection is that SUBs as well as EPBs were quite common, not just in the peaks (I travelled home from school in mid-afternoon), until the SUBs were withdrawn in the summer of that year, presumably as more 455s arrived (I think the first 455s entered service around Easter). I can't remember whether EPBs lasted much longer on the SW than SUBs, although from what you say:

The last EPBs on the South Western were BR Standard 2 car units, I think. I'm really struggling to remember any beyond about 1984 or 85. I lived in Kingston at the time, but was at primary school, so I don't know if EPBs were more common in the peaks. As mentioned, SUBs went around August 1983, and lasted a month or so longer on the Central Division.

nw1

Established Member

EPBs definitely lasted until May 1984, as the Cobham line timetable of 1983/4 was worked by 60% 4VEP, 40% 4CIG off peak *but* the peak timetable was pretty consistent 4VEP/4EPB combinations (with the occasional 8VEP or 4VEP + 2EPB + 2EPB).

May 1984 was when 455s took over the Cobham line, but even then, a few peak journeys were operated with slam-door stock (mostly VEPs, but as Journeyman says some 2EPBs made an appearance). One of the most interesting 2EPB workings was the 1758 Waterloo to Alton of 1983/4 which was a 2EPB + 2EPB + 4CIG combination. I think they had all gone by the 1985 timetable, which was a timetable of significant cutbacks to peak services anyhow.

I wasn't aware SUBs lasted that late. I remember in spring 1983 (May?) seeing rakes of SUBs pass through Woking presumably on the way to Eastleigh for withdrawal, so I assumed that they'd been withdrawn with the May 1983 timetable or possibly even earlier. I never saw a SUB in service, though it looks like I only narrowly missed them.

frodshamfella

Established Member
Jaffa Cake livery? It was like seeing trains from another country over on the SE side of London Bridge when on rare trips to London!

Oh yes remember when they went all Jaffa, but before that was the standard BR dark blue

nw1

Established Member
Oh yes remember when they went all Jaffa, but before that was the standard BR dark blue

How dominant was Jaffa Cake? If I recall correctly, quite a few South Eastern CEPs went Jaffa Cake but few elsewhere. Certainly on the South Western it went straight from blue-and-grey to NSE, starting in July 1986 (sttill remember the first-ever NSE unit I saw, the 4VEP as-was 7850 coming into Guildford from an Ascot service).

I do seem to remember quite a few South Eastern CEPs in September 1986 and even August 1987 were Jaffa Cake (even into NSE days) but they were also rare on the Central Division; I remember seeing one in Brighton in October 1985 on a refurbished CIG (17xx) and I think I may have seen others at Clapham Junction or East Croydon in 1985/6, but they didn't seem to be dominant.

Bikeman78

Established Member
EPBs definitely lasted until May 1984, as the Cobham line timetable of 1983/4 was worked by 60% 4VEP, 40% 4CIG off peak *but* the peak timetable was pretty consistent 4VEP/4EPB combinations (with the occasional 8VEP or 4VEP + 2EPB + 2EPB).

May 1984 was when 455s took over the Cobham line, but even then, a few peak journeys were operated with slam-door stock (mostly VEPs, but as Journeyman says some 2EPBs made an appearance). One of the most interesting 2EPB workings was the 1758 Waterloo to Alton of 1983/4 which was a 2EPB + 2EPB + 4CIG combination. I think they had all gone by the 1985 timetable, which was a timetable of significant cutbacks to peak services anyhow.

I wasn't aware SUBs lasted that late. I remember in spring 1983 (May?) seeing rakes of SUBs pass through Woking presumably on the way to Eastleigh for withdrawal, so I assumed that they'd been withdrawn with the May 1983 timetable or possibly even earlier. I never saw a SUB in service, though it looks like I only narrowly missed them.
Take a look at www.bloodandcustard.com which has comprehensive notes about almost every Southern region unit. Last day for SUBs was 5th September 1983. I vaguely recall blue units but I was only five so they could easily have been EPBs. Don't think I ever rode on a SUB. I've asked my dad but he can't remember for sure. I remember the brand new 508s but obviously they stood out amongst the hundreds of slammers.

How dominant was Jaffa Cake? If I recall correctly, quite a few South Eastern CEPs went Jaffa Cake but few elsewhere. Certainly on the South Western it went straight from blue-and-grey to NSE, starting in July 1986 (sttill remember the first-ever NSE unit I saw, the 4VEP as-was 7850 coming into Guildford from an Ascot service).

I do seem to remember quite a few South Eastern CEPs in September 1986 and even August 1987 were Jaffa Cake (even into NSE days) but they were also rare on the Central Division; I remember seeing one in Brighton in October 1985 on a refurbished CIG (17xx) and I think I may have seen others at Clapham Junction or East Croydon in 1985/6, but they didn't seem to be dominant.
Most of the CEPs had it. I think some even got Jaffa Cake after NSE started. I'm sure that some survived into 1990. CIGs 1701 to 1711 had Jaffa Cake but not for long. Maybe a year. I don't ever recall seeing a CIG in Jaffa Cake but there are a few photos on the net if you do a search.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Yes, round my way in Ashford, the VEP's and Thumpers were still in blue grey.

Journeyman

Established Member
Most of the CEPs had it. I think some even got Jaffa Cake after NSE started. I'm sure that some survived into 1990. CIGs 1701 to 1711 had Jaffa Cake but not for long. Maybe a year. I don't ever recall seeing a CIG in Jaffa Cake but there are a few photos on the net if you do a search.
Yeah, that's about your lot. Oddly, after those CIGs appeared in Jaffa Cake, the next few refurbs emerged in blue and grey, before NSE started being used.

Edit: as far as the Southern is concerned. There were indeed some 309s in Jaffa Cake.

Last edited:

Richard Scott

Established Member
Have some vague recollection some 309s were painted in Jaffa cake or is my memory playing tricks?

According to The '4 Sub' Story (Brian Rayner and David Brown; published by the Southern Electric Group in 1983; ISBN 0-906988-09-8), diagrammed weekend use of 4-SUBS ceased in August 1980 on the SW (following the arrival of the 508s) and in May 1981 on the Central Division; on weekdays they were common on the SW until the 1983 timetable change (there's a picture of one on a mid-morning working on April 28th); and the last diagrammed working on the SW was on 11th July, but numerous ad hoc workings (including several trips to Guildford) continued until 6th August (a Saturday).
Take a look at www.bloodandcustard.com which has comprehensive notes about almost every Southern region unit. Last day for SUBs was 5th September 1983.
According to the book, the last day on the Central division was Tuesday 6th September (and 6th September 1983 was indeed a Tuesday, so it presumably isn't just a typo).

My memory is that my train to school (a Hampton Court one) was formed of 4-SUBs until the Easter holidays in 1983, and mostly (with at least one exception, I think, possibly more) of 455s after that. My last 4-SUB journey (apart from in the preserved unit at the Woking open day in 1988) was sometime in June or early July, on a train which I think was going (from Waterloo) to Horsham.

I'm not sure why the disappearance of the 4-EPBs from the SW made no great impression on my memory; I'm guessing that it was a combination of their being less noticeably antiquated than the 4-SUBs, still plentiful elsewhere, and by that time not normally employed on the trains that I used regularly.

Journeyman

Established Member
Yeah, David Brown's Southern Electric: A New History has 4279 and 4754 as the last working units on 6th September 1983. They ran a diagram starting at Dorking in the morning, stabling at Selhurst after the peak. They should then have come out again for evening peak runs starting with the 15.35 Victoria to Epsom Downs, but EPBs were substituted. SUBs never ran scheduled services again.

nw1

Established Member
According to The '4 Sub' Story (Brian Rayner and David Brown; published by the Southern Electric Group in 1983; ISBN 0-906988-09-8), diagrammed weekend use of 4-SUBS ceased in August 1980 on the SW (following the arrival of the 508s) and in May 1981 on the Central Division; on weekdays they were common on the SW until the 1983 timetable change (there's a picture of one on a mid-morning working on April 28th); and the last diagrammed working on the SW was on 11th July, but numerous ad hoc workings (including several trips to Guildford) continued until 6th August (a Saturday).
Actually I think I may have got it wrong about never seeing SUBs in service. Now that I think about it, I'm starting to remember one occasion in which I saw SUBs at Platform 1 in Guildford, covering a Cobham service. Didn't examine them closely, as I think they pulled out before I arrived on the platform, but it was semi-dark, and it was on the way home from school (which would make it between 16:00 and 17:00) so it would have had to have been Nov/Dec 1982 or Jan 1983 as otherwise it would have been full daylight. Probably Jan 1983 as I only became aware of what a 4SUB was when I received the Ian Allan 'Multiple Units' book as a Christmas present in 1982.
According to the book, the last day on the Central division was Tuesday 6th September (and 6th September 1983 was indeed a Tuesday, so it presumably isn't just a typo).

My memory is that my train to school (a Hampton Court one) was formed of 4-SUBs until the Easter holidays in 1983, and mostly (with at least one exception, I think, possibly more) of 455s after that. My last 4-SUB journey (apart from in the preserved unit at the Woking open day in 1988) was sometime in June or early July, on a train which I think was going (from Waterloo) to Horsham.
The pattern by May 1983 seemed to be 100% 508 on the Hampton Courts on a Saturday; I remember spending two consecutive Saturdays at Surbiton (for several hours) and all Hampton Courts were 508s; no SUBs, no EPBs, and no 455s. Never saw them on weekdays though, and also I am not sure whether these Saturdays were before or after the timetable change. They were both mid-May I think (either 7th/14th or 14th/21st); definitely not the last Saturday of the month (28th) as I remember doing something else on that day.
I'm not sure why the disappearance of the 4-EPBs from the SW made no great impression on my memory; I'm guessing that it was a combination of their being less noticeably antiquated than the 4-SUBs, still plentiful elsewhere, and by that time not normally employed on the trains that I used regularly.

Interesting - because I rarely saw SUBs, the 4EPB was probably the most antiquated unit I saw on a regular basis on the Southern, so I more clearly rremember their disappearance. While I probably never travelled in an EPB again, I did see them at East Croydon on several occasions in the 1986-88 period, when they were still covering many 'Central' suburban services, perhaps about 50%.

Incidentally, it's frightening that the 455s now are almost as old, perhaps in some cases older, than 4SUBs were in 1983. That does make you feel old.

Take a look at www.bloodandcustard.com which has comprehensive notes about almost every Southern region unit. Last day for SUBs was 5th September 1983. I vaguely recall blue units but I was only five so they could easily have been EPBs. Don't think I ever rode on a SUB. I've asked my dad but he can't remember for sure. I remember the brand new 508s but obviously they stood out amongst the hundreds of slammers.

Thanks for that, will take a look!

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member

Yes, Jaffa Cake def fairly common it seemed on CEPs, and indeed Clacton 309s as mentioned here. IIRC that was connected with the fact that the units were going through a heavy refurbishment (at Swindon works? -I've not checked) and being outstripped in Jaffa cake.

Then some CIGs on central division (where I lived) got done, but I am not sure from memory if this was associated with any refurb work or just a cyclical repaint as part of a heavy repair schedule. I'm thinking this was 1985 probably.

This new jaffa cake livery seemed quite an exciting development to me at the time. However, in the great scheme of things it did not last that long and of course the NSE livery got rolled out much more widely.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, Jaffa Cake def fairly common it seemed on CEPs, and indeed Clacton 309s as mentioned here. IIRC that was connected with the fact that the units were going through a heavy refurbishment (at Swindon works? -I've not checked) and being outstripped in Jaffa cake.

Then some CIGs on central division (where I lived) got done, but I am not sure from memory if this was associated with any refurb work or just a cyclical repaint as part of a heavy repair schedule. I'm thinking this was 1985 probably.

This new jaffa cake livery seemed quite an exciting development to me at the time. However, in the great scheme of things it did not last that long and of course the NSE livery got rolled out much more widely.

I think the phase 1 CIG's that had Jaffa Cake livery were facelifted internally with donkey stripe moquette.

Status
Not open for further replies.