• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What Underground journeys can train tickets with cross-London connection be used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mangyiscute

Established Member
So soon I might be travelling from Leeds to Reading via Kings Cross, but I wish to travel to Hanger Lane tube station to visit a friend then walk from their house to Ealing Broadway and take a train from there back to Reading. Would my ticket allow a journey on the tube from Kings Cross to Hanger Lane, or would it be rejected at the barriers at Hanger Lane? And I also assume that I would be able to then use the ticket from Ealing Broadway back to Reading.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mmh

Established Member
So soon I might be travelling from Leeds to Reading via Kings Cross, but I wish to travel to Hanger Lane tube station to visit a friend then walk from their house to Ealing Broadway and take a train from there back to Reading. Would my ticket allow a journey on the tube from Kings Cross to Hanger Lane, or would it be rejected at the barriers at Hanger Lane? And I also assume that I would be able to then use the ticket from Ealing Broadway back to Reading.

It's all detailed here: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46587.aspx

alistairlees

Established Member
You can't use the Underground portion to go as far as, or exit at, Hanger Lane.

There is a list on National Rail of permitted entry / exit Underground stations when crossing London with a a rail ticket marked with a "Maltese Cross".

You are correct that you can rejoin at Ealing Broadway.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Use Ealing Broadway to arrive and depart and it will be a simple break of journey. Buses 112 & 483 both link Ealing Broadway with Hanger Lane

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Slightly surprising that West Ruislip doesn't appear - if it did, Hangar Lane would be an "intermediate station."
Only on journeys to destinations on the Chiltern Line though so it wouldn't be helpful to the OP. I guess that the route of the Central Line is sufficiently different to the Chiltern route that no agreement was ever reached to have inter-availability of fares / cross London travel permitted.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Sorry to hijack this.

If one had a through ticket with the Cross shown from Shepperton to say Worcester or Cardiff, could I travel, on SWR Shepperton to Wimbledon, then District Line Wimbledon to Paddington & GWR onwards for example, Wimbledon does seem to be on that list. ?

mmh

Established Member
Sorry to hijack this.

If one had a through ticket with the Cross shown from Shepperton to say Worcester or Cardiff, could I travel, on SWR Shepperton to Wimbledon, then District Line Wimbledon to Paddington & GWR onwards for example, Wimbledon does seem to be on that list. ?

Wimbledon's on the list. (If it weren't, you'd still be able to do that as at Wimbledon your change would be within the ticket barriers, ticket checks on the Underground must be one of the rarest things on earth, and nobody could argue it wasn't a reasonable route. Is it actually the quickest route? It feels like it could well be!)

HST274

I think people may have missed that while you can leave at Ealing Broadway it does say:
You can ‘break your transfer journey' and leave the Underground at any intermediate station, e.g. if you are travelling between Victoria and Euston you can exit at Oxford Circus. However, if you subsequently wish to continue your journey by Underground you will have to purchase another ticket.
Does this not apply here?

Edit:Actually I guess the tube is not being used again here.

Veteran Member
Only on journeys to destinations on the Chiltern Line though so it wouldn't be helpful to the OP.
You are strictly right, but I thought the (fairly basic) + encoding would work tube gates for exit irrespective of route.
(Which makes me wonder - whatever the rule, would any + ticket in practice work the gates at any tube station, or is only a subsets of gates enabled?)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You are strictly right, but I thought the (fairly basic) + encoding would work tube gates for exit irrespective of route.
(Which makes me wonder - whatever the rule, would any + ticket in practice work the gates at any tube station, or is only a subsets of gates enabled?)
My past experience suggests they do not at intermediate stations, so you will have to ask to be let out of the gateline.

Wimbledon's on the list. (If it weren't, you'd still be able to do that as at Wimbledon your change would be within the ticket barriers, ticket checks on the Underground must be one of the rarest things on earth, and nobody could argue it wasn't a reasonable route. Is it actually the quickest route? It feels like it could well be!)
Wimbledon to Paddington is about 30 minutes on the direct train so it probably will be the quickest journey, considering Shepperton only have suburban trains and Wimbledon to Waterloo alone will be 15 minutes, whereas Wimbledon to Vauxhall is about 11 and Vauxhall to Paddington would be 15, plus transfer time in between. The latter probably close to the Wimbledon option but with the added complexity of an extra change.

mangyiscute

Established Member
Thanks, everyone for the responses - fortunately, I am now going to Ealing Broadway so it should work fine :)
I can also add I have used a train ticket to exit at Great Portland Street before and it worked fine, so it seems to work at some intermediate stations

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thanks, everyone for the responses - fortunately, I am now going to Ealing Broadway so it should work fine :)
I can also add I have used a train ticket to exit at Great Portland Street before and it worked fine, so it seems to work at some intermediate stations
The getting out is generally easy, it’s when you try to get back in you get problems!

mangyiscute

Established Member
To follow up, I now am thinking about returning on the next day and having done some research it appears to me that I would be able to do an overnight break of journey then return the next day from Ealing or Paddington, but I was wondering what the peak restrictions would be on the journey the following morning. My ticket has restriction 1L (I think) and this says that the Outward portion (which this is as its a single) is only valid from 11:17 from London terminals but every single restriction code I have looked at for departing Paddington or Ealing Broadway are either 09:19 or 09:30 (codes FO, J9, W1). If I go to Paddington for say the 09:32 or to Ealing for the 09:33 would they let me on, do you guys think?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
To follow up, I now am thinking about returning on the next day and having done some research it appears to me that I would be able to do an overnight break of journey then return the next day from Ealing or Paddington, but I was wondering what the peak restrictions would be on the journey the following morning. My ticket has restriction 1L (I think) and this says that the Outward portion (which this is as its a single) is only valid from 11:17 from London terminals but every single restriction code I have looked at for departing Paddington or Ealing Broadway are either 09:19 or 09:30 (codes FO, J9, W1). If I go to Paddington for say the 09:32 or to Ealing for the 09:33 would they let me on, do you guys think?
I'm confused - what ticket do you hold (or do you intend to buy)? The restriction codes for intermediate tickets aren't relevant here.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Returning to Leeds after an overnight break of journey the restrictions are the same as they would be without the break. In this case the restrictions only apply to trains from Kings Cross, with travel to Kings Cross being unrestricted.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thank you for that, overall the journey time going via Wimbledon probably is a bit quicker than carrying on to Waterloo, then getting the Bakerloo over to Paddington, with luggage and lifts, Wimbledon is more convenient in that respect too. I also feel a bit safer cv-wise going on the District line rather than deep level tube at the moment.

Veteran Member
My past experience suggests they do not at intermediate stations, so you will have to ask to be let out of the gateline.
With Haywain on this, it works fine, but I've only tried in Zone 1.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
With Haywain on this, it works fine, but I've only tried in Zone 1.
I don't think I was contradicting Haywain ;)

But yes YMMV as I can only speak for a few stations and not all stations may be set up the same.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I don't think I was contradicting Haywain ;)

But yes YMMV as I can only speak for a few stations and not all stations may be set up the same.
And I was not suggesting that the ticket will operate the barriers on exit at intermediate LUL stations, but that the staff will accept them for exit. My experience is that neither will accept them for entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.