• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What WAS it like travelling on a steam train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magorstation

As a young boy in the late 50's and early 60's (and with with a father who was a steam engine driver based at Severn Tunnel Junction, entitled to 'priv. tickets' for the whole family) I frequently traveled through many tunnels but most often the Severn and Patchway tunnels.

I really enjoyed the smell of the steam and smoke but it wasn't all that pervasive as the tunnels were pretty well ventilated (I guess they still are). Also you could feel the pressure change in your ears as the train compressed the air in front and lowered it around the carriages. Once out of the tunnel, if you stuck your head out of the leather strap-controlled drop-down windows (not too far) you could still get the all lovely smells but you did risk getting a 'cinder' (a small speck of ash from the firebox exhaust). I don't recall getting particularly dirty from this experience. My mother may have had a different view!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I really enjoy travelling by steam train, both on the "Heritage" lines and when they travel on main line charters. I love all the sounds and smells, I suppose because nowadays it is rather unusual.

However in proper old steam days, it must have been rather grimy to say the least. (You do see this on modern steam charters when the real enthusiasts have their heads out of the windows, they do have blacked faces afterwards), when steam was the main traction though, not so many regular passengers would have done that all the time.

The stations, especially the larger ones, must have been very smokey and dirty, so light coloured clothing would not have have been sensible when travelling.

I think the windows were closed when going through tunnels.

I have been on modern charters where the windows get left open and you can see & smell the smoke come in. (Lovely)

LowLevel

Established Member
They're not real enthusiasts, they're daft idiots (says the proud owner of several smuts in the eye, 2 of which needed medical attention - I desist now except where I have to at work!).

341o2

Established Member
Now the combination of Pistell (driver) Haywood (fireman) and 35014 is made. Diesel and electric power do not need such partnerships. Winds and gradients are ironed out and a steady speed can be maintained whatever hand is at the controls. One engine is just like another and one driver just like another, train movement is predictable and abstract, a matter of mathematics. Yet even in the most advanced steam practice each engine is different and each crew has its individuual approach, steam calls for rapport as that between horse and rider and performances sometimes appear to defy rational explanation

Extract Sean Day Lewis Bullied Last Giant of Steam.

contrex

One thing I remember noticing about my first few journeys behind diesel haulage was the smooth way the trains started moving away from a stop; with steam there were definite well-spaced "heaves" as the loco took hold of the train and got it moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.