• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What was the music used for the 1983 London-Brighton video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not the original video, but the music is the one from the 1983 version. I wonder if it has a name, or it's just a single piece of "private" music created only for that specific video.

Thank you :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ediswan

Established Member
A different edit
includes the credit "Soundtrack Kim McCroddan" at 4:05.

Some searching suggests that Kim McCroddan was then working at the BBC Radiophonc Workshop. So it does look like a piece composed specifically for that short film.

His current contact details appear to be here: https://www.twodogstv.com/home

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The 1983 music certainly sounds like the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. Comparing it with the incidental music from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (Paddy Kingsland?) it’s certainly from the same stable.

Strathclyder

Established Member
A full-screen/stabilized copy of the 1983 version (uploaded by RollsRoyce) attached below.

This has always been my favourite of the 3 London to Brighton films, not just due to the prevalence of BR Blue & Blue/Grey, but the sound effects used whenever passing through stations/tunnels, under bridges/other structures and past other trains. And the music ofc, which to my ears at least, is BBC Radiophonic Workshop through and through.

Last edited:

A full-screen/stabilized copy of the 1983 version (uploaded by RollsRoyce) attached below.

This has always been my favourite of the 3 London to Brighton films, not just due to the prevalence of BR Blue & Blue/Grey, but the sound effects used whenever passing through stations/tunnels, under bridges/other structures and past other trains. And the music ofc, which to my ears at least, is BBC Radiophonic Workshop through and through.
Absolutely, I think the sound effects make it miles better also.

Taunton

Established Member
Notable how much of the London end in 1953 was semaphore signalling, even through Clapham Junction, and there was still some lower quadrant, which must date from LBSC days.

nw1

Established Member
One thing I'm curious about: the indicator at Victoria suggests it's a 14:00 service, yet during this period the Brighton fast departed at 8 minutes past the hour. Also the fast stopped at East Croydon, while in the video it appears to fly through. Was it a special?

Status
Not open for further replies.