• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What would you like to see in a Railway App?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainBoy98

Hello, after some comments in this thread: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=84738 Mum asked her boyfriend if he would help me design and maybe make an app. So I come to you fine people to ask what you would like to see/think would be good for a railway app. One of the things mentioned was a list where you could 'tick' each number off as you saw it; is this a good idea? Would a unit/loco recognition be good? What would you want from a good rail app?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Just to clarify, is this aimed very heavily at enthusiasts, or is it also for more "experienced" passengers who may want extra timetable detail, station info, etc., without necessarily having a real interest in the railways?

If enthusiasts only... here are a couple of pointers. I don't mean to sound stereotypical, but sometimes drawing up an imaginary "persona" of a potential generic user can be really useful.

Is it aimed at any older or more traditional enthusiasts who might want to mimic "analogue", real-life methods, or would the affordance (how much something is recognisable compared to real-life situations/objects, e.g. notebooks) be able to be more limited?

Is it aimed at any children who might be interested in the kids' side of a heritage line but might not have any passion whatsoever for a load of modern multiple units?

As for the in-betweens and further details of the above two paragraphs' descriptions... who are they? What do they do? Are they just spotters, or photographers, or interested in operations (e.g. timetabling)? Do they like to stay in one place all day, or do they like to "bash" lines or move around a bit? Or would you like a whole spectrum?

There are a huge number of different types and sources of data, features, ideas... and ways you can build an app. You will really need to know which group of people you're aiming to target - and know them well!

:)

Last edited:

TrainBoy98

Just to clarify, is this aimed very heavily at enthusiasts, or is it also for more "experienced" passengers who may want extra timetable detail, station info, etc., without necessarily having a real interest in the railways? Aimed at entusiasts

If enthusiasts only... here are a couple of pointers. I don't mean to sound stereotypical, but sometimes drawing up an imaginary "persona" of a potential generic user can be really useful.

Is it aimed at any older or more traditional enthusiasts who might want to mimic "analogue", real-life methods, or would the affordance (how much something is recognisable compared to real-life situations/objects, e.g. notebooks) be able to be more limited?

Is it aimed at any children who might be interested in the kids' side of a heritage line but might not have any passion whatsoever for a load of modern multiple units? Most probably not, as I want this one to be a spotters/enthusiasts one, but maybe a second app in the picture...

As for the in-betweens and further details of the above two paragraphs' descriptions... who are they? What do they do? Are they just spotters, or photographers, or interested in operations (e.g. timetabling)? Do they like to stay in one place all day, or do they like to "bash" lines or move around a bit? Or would you like a whole spectrum? Maybe a spectrum, it would be difficult to encompass as much as possible, but that's what Id like to try

There are a huge number of different types and sources of data, features, ideas... and ways you can build an app. You will really need to know which group of people you're aiming to target - and know them well! People like the ones on here as they are the ones that called for an app. But as said, others could always be in the pipeline.

Start with maybe a recognition of locos/units, a checklist of all the numbers and some maps and TOC info perhaps? Other bits could be added in updates?

Answers in quote in bold!

harry42

You could have something like this...

PICTURE OF 153 TICK BOX

PICTURE OF 155 TICK BOX

Also, out of interest what softwear are you using to make it?

TrainBoy98

You could have something like this...

PICTURE OF 153 TICK BOX

PICTURE OF 155 TICK BOX

Also, out of interest what softwear are you using to make it?

What about for people that want to tick all of the class?

And I have no idea, as its mums boyfriend doing it.

Bob Ames

Apps I'd love to see:

- a 'back seat driver' app that displays maximum allowed line speed, current speed, timings, locations of signals/points/junctions etc.

- a 'green train' app that estimates the instantaneous fuel consumption and CO2 emissions based on your current speed and type of unit, and displays total consumption at the end of your journey

- a 'window monitor' app that notifies you of any interesting sites/sights along your route, and tells you which side of the coach you should be looking

- a 'basher beacon' app that tells you if there are other bashers in the station or on your train (these bashers would need to be running the app and have given their permission to be found)

Last edited:

Manchester77

Established Member
If I could I'd love to do a metrolink one. It'd be easy and rather simple especially once the old gals have gone ;)
Could go in a Column
UNIT IMAGE SPOTTED RODE
3001 IMAGE TICK TICK

idea?

TrainBoy98

If I could I'd love to do a metrolink one. It'd be easy and rather simple especially once the old gals have gone ;)
Could go in a Column
UNIT IMAGE SPOTTED RODE
3001 IMAGE TICK TICK

idea?

Could be added to an overall rail one, just in a light rail section.

Manchester77

Established Member
Yeah good point, most light rail systems it'd be simple. If tube was included may get a bit trickier but hey ho

All the best for this app btw

Bob Ames

I've thought of a few more app ideas (a little more tongue-in-cheek this time):

- an 'ORCATS raider sim' app - a timetable-based game where the objective is to maximise your share of ORCATS money whilst minimising the number of passengers actually using your services (this game could be sponsored by XC)

- a 'coach emptier' app which randomly emits a loud squealing sound that passengers find annoying. You collect a point for every passenger that leaves the coach, and collect bonus points if a passenger brings the TM back to investigate the source of the noise

- a 'Crowaliser' app that provides a random quote from Bob Crow - perfect for confusing RPI staff when you've forgotten your Railcard (in their confusion, you can do a runner)

N Levers

I've thought of a few more app ideas (a little more tongue-in-cheek this time):

- an 'ORCATS raider sim' app - a timetable-based game where the objective is to maximise your share of ORCATS money whilst minimising the number of passengers actually using your services (this game could be sponsored by XC)

Genius. I would buy that.

Status
Not open for further replies.