• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whats the most successful Locomotive or Unit in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
In intercity terms the Class 47 and Mark 3 coaches as the Intercity 125 has been the most successful. It's worked well for many years and it's still going. Also remember it's the first train outside of Japan to reach 125 mph in regular service.

Since privatisation though I would say the Class 170 has been the most successful as they were so good that many operators bought them which is quite rare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
The PEPs and especially the Class 313s

A massive step change in commuter train design, with open saloons, sliding doors, aluminium construction, air suspension, modern couplers, and more than one powered carriage, all things that became standard. In addition, the Class 313s were dual voltage, something we now take for granted with a lot of commuter stock around London

LAX54

Established Member
Highly debatable. Whilst long-lived, the shunter is essentially an overhead on the operation of the railway. It contributes little in terms of revenue - which may explain why no replacement has been built.

I would argue that the 08 & 09 have a big impact on the ML (and not just when they are doing a change-over somewhere), they work in yards, putting trains together, when an 08 fails, it is noticed, shunts have to be made with a big engine (66), these are not as nimble / easy to use as a Pilot, thus you can end up with a freight being late, and that can have big ramifications on the Main Line, maybe a little loco, but has a big job to do !

bramling

Veteran Member
I'd suggest the Class 170 certainly deserves a mention. Huge leap forward in comfort over the BR-era DMU's and unlike 158s they actually have air con that works!

I’ve always thought the 170s are a little under-rated, perhaps because not that many were built in the grand scheme of things. Whilst they have their fair share of issues not least the glacial acceleration and incessant rattles, they fill a niche and are a good compromise design being reasonably at home on most types of work.

Hard to say Electrostars aren't successful either - though it's a shame the later batches had the hard seating. One way or other the design is now a backbone of London-area commuting, and they've settled down to be solid performers.

Last edited:

Richard Scott

Established Member
That's a Class 56...

EE 16CSVT variant (badged as a Ruston RK series) with Brush electrical gear, in a modified Class 47 bodyshell.
That did cross my mind once I'd posted it. Did read somewhere years ago the traction motors were based on 45 motors but not sure if that's true.
In my opinion the 45 was probably the best of the earlier type 4s, just a shame those bogies kept cracking. The Crompton electrical gear seemed almost bullet proof and their five stages of field weakening certainly gave them good acceleration. The Sulzer engine was less stressed at 2500hp, pity EE didn't get the 16cylinder engine up to 2700hp sooner, orders may have been different as the EE unit was fine at that setting whereas for the Sulzer it was one uprating too far.

delt1c

Established Member
Has to be the HST, this was the train that saved Intercity. It was built as stop gap pending the APT yet is still with us in 2020

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Id also say ht e Electrostar/Turbostar, which have of course quite a direct lineage from the Networker/Networker Turbos. Class 168 being the very obvious bridge between the earlier model and later

DustyBin

Established Member
I agree with those who nominated the HST. There are different criteria against which to measure success, but I think the HST ticks most if not all the boxes. For me it is the outright winner.

For me the Class 37 also deserves a mention for sheer versatility and longevity. I agree with those who nominated the Class 86 for the same reason. I’d add the Class 73 to the list too.

The Class 08 (and 09) has undoubtedly been a successful loco based on sheer longevity, there’s no arguing with that.

I don’t think anybody has mentioned the Class 205 (and 207) yet, they were extremely successful units. As much as I like them though they were undoubtedly archaic which counts against them in terms of overall success. Whilst the PEP derived units won’t be in service quite as long, they have still been long lived yet don’t look or feel all that old. Like I said there are different criteria for success....

Richard Scott

Established Member
The 56s have Brush electrical equipment, like the 46s and 47s. Class 45s had Crompton Parkinson motors.
I know the electrical equipment in 56 is Brush built, doesn't mean the design is not based on something else. They could have bought the rights to older designs. Know the 45s have Crompton motors, my post says the Crompton Electrical equipment. Have worked on one so would hope I got that right!

Last edited:

Mack91

I agree with those who said the HST; I don't need to go over the points again.

I understand why people would call for the 37s and 86s, both still have many members of the fleet in operation as they now enter the seventh decade they have seen service in. Similarly, 47s, not only for the sheer number of them built (512), but again for their durability over time. I'm sure I once read that BR aimed to have all the 47s withdrawn by 1988 at one stage!

On the modern railway, I'd say it would be hard to look beyond the 66. Almost all freight TOCs have at least one example of it, they can be used on pretty much any sort of work, and their initial success here has seen the design flood Europe and even into Africa I think. Probably the most successful modern locomotive design in the world.

I've just focused on 'modern image' locos, but there are plenty of cases to be made for steam locos, multiple units, and beyond that, rolling stock such as coaches and wagons.

hst43102

On the modern railway, I'd say it would be hard to look beyond the 66. Almost all freight TOCs have at least one example of it, they can be used on pretty much any sort of work, and their initial success here has seen the design flood Europe and even into Africa I think. Probably the most successful modern locomotive design in the world.

The 66 is based on the 59, which itself is basically an EMD SD40-2 locomotive with a different bodyshell and rebuilt for the British loading gauge. EMD built a staggering 4000+ SD40-2 locomotives!

birchesgreen

Established Member
1938 Tube stock has to be in with a shout. A iconic design ahead of its time which managed to push on 50 years in service, and as if that wasn’t enough a few units then had an afterlife as class 483 and have managed a pretty creditable complete second life-cycle of service.

They also managed to inspire two further successful fleets (59 and 62 stock) based heavily upon the design, and the basic concept continued to provide the basis for Tube trains right up until 2009.

I think this is a very good contender.

Western Lord

In intercity terms the Class 47 and Mark 3 coaches as the Intercity 125 has been the most successful. It's worked well for many years and it's still going. Also remember it's the first train outside of Japan to reach 125 mph in regular service.
True on a technicality. SNCF were running trains at 200 km/hr from 1967, but that's only 124 mph!

Littlewill

It has to be the work horse that is the gronk jocco pilot 350 or 08 as introduced during steam and still in use today

BayPaul

Established Member
I keep thinking about doing a 'train most fit for purpose' thread, which is a pretty similar concept to this one. My vote would be for the S7/S8 stock on London Underground. Although still fairly new, so don't tick the longevity box, they always seem pretty much perfect for their job - huge capacity, comfortable and spacious for trains of their type, the introduction of walk-through and A/C was a game changer on the underground, they are pretty attractive looking trains, and with 191 units in total, its a pretty big fleet. I would also vote for the HST, though on the fit for purpose stakes I think it was let down by its slam doors, which were becoming out dated even when it was introduced.

Turtle

Id also say ht e Electrostar/Turbostar, which have of course quite a direct lineage from the Networker/Networker Turbos. Class 168 being the very obvious bridge between the earlier model and later
As far as EMUS are concerned the Electrostar family must sure be regarded as the current overall winner.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Loco - 66 - revolutionised rail freight from the unreliable ageing ragtag fleet bequeathed by privatisation. They arrived, worked, kept working reliably, and still do.

Unit - 253/254 - revolutionised intercity travel from the ageing ragtag fleet bequeathed by dieselisation!

Last edited:

Ralph Ayres

The Class 20s have lasted far longer and proved to be far more versatile than their outdated-when-built and apparently inflexible design would have led anyone to expect.

DustyBin

Established Member
The Class 20s have lasted far longer and proved to be far more versatile than their outdated-when-built and apparently inflexible design would have led anyone to expect.

They're another class worthy of mention. The 31's have done well too after a shaky start.

Right Away

The 66 is based on the 59, which itself is basically an EMD SD40-2 locomotive with a different bodyshell and rebuilt for the British loading gauge. EMD built a staggering 4000+ SD40-2 locomotives!
Class 66 is a good shout. I think it is fair to say that the initial choice by EWS to go for class 66 locomotives owes a great deal to the success of the class 59 locomotive (which in turn owes a lot to the success of the American switcher locomotive used by Foster Yeoman at Merehead). Proven reliability and a body design that was already cleared for the restrictive British loading gauge made it an easy decision. It could have all been so different if BR had provided more reliable traction for Foster Yeoman traffic in the 80s, preventing the need for FY to look elsewhere for traction with capability, reliability and availability that BR couldn't get remotely near with the 47s and 56s that they provided. The rest is history with the class 66 locomotive and its derivatives now found globally.

CBlue

Class 66 is a good shout. I think it is fair to say that the initial choice by EWS to go for class 66 locomotives owes a great deal to the success of the class 59 locomotive (which in turn owes a lot to the success of the American switcher locomotive used by Foster Yeoman at Merehead). Proven reliability and a body design that was already cleared for the restrictive British loading gauge made it an easy decision. It could have all been so different if BR had provided more reliable traction for Foster Yeoman traffic in the 80s, preventing the need for FY to look elsewhere for traction with capability, reliability and availability that BR couldn't get remotely near with the 47s and 56s that they provided. The rest is history with the class 66 locomotive and its derivatives now found globally.

Indeed. I heard the story that Foster Yeoman originally intended to buy two shunters/switchers for their Merehead sight. EMD told them they'd only need one as their product was so reliable - and they were right!

reddragon

Established Member
The HST is the clear winner, dominant and at the top of its game on all non-electrified main lines throughout its life and even now, on secondary routes they carry on, world record holder for Diesel and brought the Mk3 coach with it,

The EE 350ho 0-6-0 shunter became the most numerous modern traction loco in 1936, it held that record most of its life before finally class 66s outnumbered it in service c2010 and the record holder as the most numerous loco type ever (in the UK) at 996 08s, but over 2000 of its type in several countries!

Forgotten is the standard EE507 type powered Southern Electric unit. Starting out as old pre-grouping coaches with the motor added from 1911-1935, rebodied 1941-1959, lasting into the 1990's and then donating motors to the class 455/456 which we still have today, a lineage of over a century of recycling

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
HSTs and 08s both secured some form of export orders (to Australia and the Netherlands respectively), which I'd argue scores points that 37s/47s/86s missed... unless you include the class 47 clones that were sold to Cuba.

Established Member
HSTs and 08s both secured some form of export orders (to Australia and the Netherlands respectively), which I'd argue scores points that 37s/47s/86s missed... unless you include the class 47 clones that were sold to Cuba.
Plenty of EE exports which are similar in family lines to the HST/XPT export.

Status
Not open for further replies.