• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whats the most successful Locomotive or Unit in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
The LT A60 and A62 classes did very well, and some of then reached 50 years in service.

Class 101 Metro-Cammell DMUs were outstanding, and the last survivors might have gone on for longer if it hadn't been for asbestos issues.

Southern Railway 4SUB units were a pre-war design followed by large numbers post-war, which then led to 4EPBs. The body profile was adapted for the later BR design so they influenced a large amount of passenger stock besides 4-coach EMUs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bessie

Agree with Class 08, 37, 47 and HST comments but also want to give an honourable mention to Class 73’s. First usable bi-mode, responsible for the successful launch of Gatwick Express services and still plenty in use today by various operators.

Pacco

HST is the obvious candidate. A true icon.

390 Pendolinos are bound to end up as successful. They have hammered up and down the WCML for almost twenty years and will probably do at least ten more in a age of much greater railway patronage. They are fantastic machines.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Agree with Class 08, 37, 47 and HST comments but also want to give an honourable mention to Class 73’s. First usable bi-mode, responsible for the successful launch of Gatwick Express services and still plenty in use today by various operators.
Gatwick Express launched with modified class 423 4-VEP units.

On Moderation
Gatwick Express launched with modified class 423 4-VEP units.
It wasn't branded as Gatwick Express until the 73 + stock formations came in during 1984. It was branded as "Rapid City Link" (or similar) when the 4-VEG units were used, which were just attached/detached from other services.

Richard Scott

Established Member
True on a technicality. SNCF were running trains at 200 km/hr from 1967, but that's only 124 mph!
Know we're heading off topic but believe it was a train called the Capitole and hauled by one of four modified BB9200s, themselves worth a mention as believe first class where locos clocked up 10million Kms. Apologies if any info incorrect but my knowledge of French railway history a little lacking.

Which train was that?
Sorry, also realise replied to wrong post. Please see above.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
A great choice of subject, and likely to generate plenty of discussion.

In terms of numbers and overall length of time in service, an example that might not be the first to come to mind is the Robinson GCR 8K 2-8-0 which went on to be the LNER O4 and was built in large numbers for the ROD in the First World War.
In service from 1911 to 1966 with a total of 666 across all variants. Successful if not prominent.

Indeed, a very overlooked and ignored locomotive design which just kept on working without fuss, always merging into the industrial background. Heck, even the GWR tolerated them for some years - now that does say something!

Weren't they even trundling around in France until about 1972, on the Verdun line?

Take an unacknowledged Knighthood, Mr Robinson.

Efini92

Established Member
Class 76, they were revolutionary and who knows how long they would’ve lasted had they not been scrapped early.

The 56s have Brush electrical equipment, like the 46s and 47s. Class 45s had Crompton Parkinson motors.

Crompton Parkinson became part of Brush in the late 1960s; the design of the class 56 motors possibly drew on the designs of traction motors made by both companies, but control equipment would be based on 46/47 designs - 44s/45s had Allen West equipment, only the rotating machines being from Cromptons

Vespa

Established Member
The humble pacer.

It was cobbled together using bus body and BR bogies in 1984, designed as a stop gap with an operating life of 20 years.
It's has lasted far longer than that and kept lines open that would have otherwise closed.

It was a very good return for the investment cost.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
I'm a bit disappointed the 20s have so few adherents, mainly because I was brought up at Trowell Jn. HSTs, 37, 47, 08/9 all good. Electrostars too. What about the 87s? It took a while but we finally got AC electrics right.

On Moderation
It was a very good return for the investment cost.
If you ignore all the money spent on new brakes, new doors, new engines, new transmissions etc.

In no way could Pacers be considered the most successful train we've had.

Richard Scott

Established Member
If you ignore all the money spent on new brakes, new doors, new engines, new transmissions etc.

In no way could Pacers be considered the most successful train we've had.
Lots of designs had some modifications over the time. Pacers probably still good value for money?

On Moderation
Lots of designs had some modifications over the time. Pacers probably still good value for money?
Debatable, I'd say.

However, it's irrelevant in terms of this topic. Pacers could never be described as the most successful train we've had.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Debatable, I'd say.

However, it's irrelevant in terms of this topic. Pacers could never be described as the most successful train we've had.
It's actually a difficult one to answer, how do we measure success? Reliability, longevity, cost to run, ability? Likely a 66 may win on first three but a 60 would haul it into next week so not an easy thing to judge?

AM9

Veteran Member
In electric multiple unit world the class 309 Clacton units would get my vote.
Me too. 40 years in service 30 of which were front line.
Although not glamorous enough for some here, in 30+ years will we be praising the Desiro Cities for their incredible people-moving capabilities and self-recovery attributes? Also. to a lesser degree, maybe the 345s as a similar example in the Aventra range.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
As a strong "do anything" loco a 37 - but as a not so strong - but do everything loco - a 47. With the benefit of a superb cab with great visibilty.

Driving a 37 is presumably like piloting a Lancaster bomber , - but the subtlety of driving a 47 is quite something.

(this thread does not cover SR style EMU's , where a 4VEP rates highly in my book , and a more modern EMU - a 321)

hst43102

It's actually a difficult one to answer, how do we measure success? Reliability, longevity, cost to run, ability? Likely a 66 may win on first three but a 60 would haul it into next week so not an easy thing to judge?

I don't think the 60 will be up there. A fair few of them didn't make it a decade in service.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I don't think the 60 will be up there. A fair few of them didn't make it a decade in service.
Wasn't saying it would was trying to point out it depends what criteria you use. The fact they didn't last long in some cases not a fault of design, some are nearly 30 years old. 40s were sturdy, robust and reliable but some didn't make 20 years old. Just the world moved on and 133tons and 2000hp didn't cut it anymore but they certainly weren't a bad loco.

thenorthern

Established Member
Not a National Rail unit but the Tyne and Wear Metro units have done well. 40 years in service and still going strong.

big all

On Moderation
As a strong "do anything" loco a 37 - but as a not so strong - but do everything loco - a 47. With the benefit of a superb cab with great visibilty.

Driving a 37 is presumably like piloting a Lancaster bomber , - but the subtlety of driving a 47 is quite something.

(this thread does not cover SR style EMU's , where a 4VEP rates highly in my book , and a more modern EMU - a 321)
Yes indeed VEPs were a good compromise between local and longer distance but were draughtier than suburban stock. This was of course was reduced by sealing the sliding windows. Much better for loading than other main line stock, indeed they were chosen for the dedicated stock for attaching and detaching for "rail-air" Victoria to Gatwick services where they could have chosen 12-CIG units or 7900-12 VEG units,

Vespa

Established Member
Not a National Rail unit but the Tyne and Wear Metro units have done well. 40 years in service and still going strong.

Ditto for class 507/508 a consistently reliable workhorse that kept Merseyside moving, 40 years +

Soon to be replaced by class 777

DustyBin

Established Member
The ‘problem’ here is so many BR era locos and units were successful! I went with the HST as it was an outstanding success in so many areas, there’s very little going against it really. But there are any number of versatile, reliable and long lived examples to choose from. Pretty much any SR 3rd rail stock, PEP derived units, I obviously like the 321’s which have been very successful, there’s just so many.

I actually get the argument for Pacers and I developed a certain respect for them, but they can’t be regarded as among our most successful trains. They became iconic for all the wrong reasons, in the North at least. I’d choose the Sprinter family over them, the 156 in particular is an excellent train even today IMO (if a little noisy but who doesn’t enjoy a 14l Cummins at full chat?).

superjohn

Not glamorous but the mark 3 based unit family must be contenders. Solid, reliable and have operated across the whole network over the years. They are largely still in service today as well.

Their successors, the networker family, have also proved to be well designed and built. They have had a more limited operating area though.

delt1c

Established Member
Southern Railway 4SUB units were a pre-war design followed by large numbers post-war, which then led to 4EPBs. The body profile was adapted for the later BR design so they influenced a large amount of passenger stock besides 4-coach EMUs.
The SUB's were not the most comfortable to ride in , especially the 6 aside compartments during peak hoursw.

AJM580

GWR 57xx 0-6-0PT must be in with a shout. Were everywhere on Western region and some worked for LT until1971. Agree with those who nominate the 37s as best diesels, capable of doing pretty much everything.

LA50041

Established Member
Ok, playing devils advocate here, and I admit it’s early days, but the class 700 is excellent at doing what it was designed to do - a mass people mover!
Just watch one hoover up a crowd at East Croydon or London Bridge in the peaks and its impressive.
I acknowledge there is a debate over seats which I don’t want to open up a discussion on as its subjective, but for what they’re built for they do the job reasonably reliably now they’ve settled in

KevinTurvey

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think class 33 is a good shout because were they not the first true modern diesel locomotives in that they had electric heating and air brakes from new? were reliable, and did not need vast sums spending on rebuilding and brake and heating conversions.

Class465pacer

For EMUs definitely the Electrostar. In production for almost 20 years. 679 built for successful operation by Greater Anglia, c2c, Southeastern, Southern, Overground, Great Northern, GWR and even Gautrain in South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.