• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your favorite train to see when out trainspotting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian Hornby

There are so many different trains on the network including electric or diesel locomotives or DMUs and EMUs...
It would be interesting to see what trains people like or prefer to others.
Personally, my favourite class is the 222 'Meridian' in East Midlands trains livery.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

al.currie93

I think my personal favourite spot would be a class 37; one of my favourite classes, and fact that they're fairly uncommon, especially in the southeast, gives a real sense of achievement when I see one!

Also will never forget when the 455 I was on on a journey to London one weekday morning pulled alongside 37609 tailing a network rail train, the noise it made and the shock of the commuters when it accelerated was quite something! May they keep soldiering on :P

Last edited:

SeanG

Do like to see anything rare for the place its in.

Otherwise any locos that aren't sheds are a bonus

Julian Hornby

In the south (Hampshire) Eastleigh depot has tons of class 37s! Might be worthwhile to take a trip!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I love anything over 100 too :)

ash39

Established Member
My favourite is when you call at Colton on your way back from a run and see a pair of 67's, including a newly repainted one.

2 hours ago today in fact! http://www.flickr.com/photos/ash_3939/13165693523/

Anything that's not a scheduled train is usually interesting. Particularly if it's hauled by something other than a 66.

Beveridges

Established Member
56's are another favourite along with the 37's.

Any diesel locomotive that isn't a 66 will always do for me. They all have a good engine sound apart from the GM's.

After that, 86's, 90's, 92's and other electric traction.

Then it's 66's but only if they are on interesting workings.

After that it's 91's and HST's (they're not as good to watch now they've been MTU'd)

After that it's Units but I'm not interested in units apart from on a professional level.

Last edited:

al.currie93

In the south (Hampshire) Eastleigh depot has tons of class 37s! Might be worthwhile to take a trip!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I love anything over 100 too :)

Ooo, I didn't know about that... may well take a trip to Eastleigh at some point then :P

Lrd

Established Member
Ooo, I didn't know about that... may well take a trip to Eastleigh at some point then :P
I didn't know about it either and I used to live there, also pass through a few times. They may be around every now and then but certainly not regular.

JB25

Not a train spotter at all but I would love to look over a ScotRail 380. I think they look beautiful personally!

samuelmorris

Established Member
Anything out of the ordinary. Sitting in a Mk4 at Stevenage and having a green 31 roar past at (what sounded like) full power was pretty extraordinary.

Beveridges

Established Member
Trainspotting used to be the best hobby in the world. 37's were plentiful as well as other stylish diesels on both freight and passenger.

Today I try and look elsewhere for hobbies. But none of them come close to trainspotting back in the days when I first started.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In the south (Hampshire) Eastleigh depot has tons of class 37s! Might be worthwhile to take a trip!...

I wouldn't bother. Nothing's actually visible from public areas, although a plane out of Southampton airport might do it...

Last edited:

Established Member
What I saw today at Manchester Piccadilly.

A double 156 on the 15:43 to Norwich
170635 I think on the 17:27 to SOA

BlythPower

Any loco - with preference to non-Sheds. Otherwise, the older units: 150/2, 313, 315, 317, 455, 456, 507, 508.

overtonchris

31s/ 37s/ 56s hauling anything. The clag, fumes, smell and noise are unbeatable. An environmentalist's nightmare!:D

Katketty

Love to see Class 37s. The noise as they storm past just creates such an atmosphere. The loco's seem to have real character! It's the same reason I love to spot steam trains out and about - they just seem so alive compared to modern units.

I do appreciate modern high-speed trains however such as the ICE3. Technically they are amazing and look very impressive!

Status
Not open for further replies.