• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You sure you've not just bought a real 37 there @Cowley...? ;)

-Peter
I’m working my way up. Bit by bit…

Now that's quite the acquisition :D It looks stunning :)
The detail on it is amazing @Iskra. I’m going to do a bit of subtle weathering on it here and there to bring some of it out a bit further, but I’m pleased as punch that we’ve got the first of our Scottish fleet off the ground.

Now we need:

3 mk1s in blue and grey with Scotrail branding
1 class 26 in original Railfreight
1 class 20 in blue
1 fish van ;)

The only problem we’ve got is that 37080 doesn’t couple up to my other split headcode 37 properly…

9CF24F10-AF45-42C8-A5AE-85B03AF4AD0A.jpeg

Iskra

Established Member
I’m working my way up. Bit by bit…

The detail on it is amazing @Iskra. I’m going to do a bit of subtle weathering on it here and there to bring some of it out a bit further, but I’m pleased as punch that we’ve got the first of our Scottish fleet off the ground.

Now we need:

3 mk1s in blue and grey with Scotrail branding
1 class 26 in original Railfreight
1 class 20 in blue
1 fish van ;)

The only problem we’ve got is that 37080 doesn’t couple up to my other split headcode 37 properly…

View attachment 155911
That’s a shopping list I can get behind, what’s your plan in terms of track layout?

4COR

This beauty. Of which more here

View attachment 155898

(I had to plonk it on the layout just to give an idea of the sheer size of it!)
That's a super looking loco

A couple of eBay kit pickups again for me. An LNER loco coal wagon by Parkside (PC31) - will be an ex LNER BR version, late in life, as a general mineral wagon when done.

Also, a cheap Cambrian Bolster D kit (C56) - have looked at the kit, scratched head a lot, and put it away for the moment (I do have other kits to finish) - looks tricky, but fun to do.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's a super looking loco

A couple of eBay kit pickups again for me. An LNER loco coal wagon by Parkside (PC31) - will be an ex LNER BR version, late in life, as a general mineral wagon when done.

Also, a cheap Cambrian Bolster D kit (C56) - have looked at the kit, scratched head a lot, and put it away for the moment (I do have other kits to finish) - looks tricky, but fun to do.

I admire you for taking kits on. If you ever got bored and wanted to share a few tips I’d definitely be interested.

4COR

I'm definitely a beginner, and learning as I go! Some things I have learnt so far: it's really important to add the right amount of weight, and to get the model built square with all four wheels (for non bogie stock) level and on the rails.

The Parkside kits that I've been working on are generally fairly easy, though there is a little fettling here and there. I've been working with Cambridge Custom Transfer supplied transfers which are great - a nice gloss surface to plop them onto is recommended (and Decalfix!).

Getting colouring correct, aside from standard livery colours, is a bit of guesswork (interiors, etc). Weathering covers a multitude of sins! Images on the internet are very helpful, both for assembly and for painting.

Last edited:

DJ_K666

3 Accurascale mk2b coaches. They really are works of art. I accidentally ordered a B/G NSE branded one instead of interesting city but I have two options. I can either

A) obtain some blanking patches and alter them using transfers

or

B) build a small 1980s layout

4COR

3 Accurascale mk2b coaches. They really are works of art. I accidentally ordered a B/G NSE branded one instead of interesting city but I have two options. I can either

A) obtain some blanking patches and alter them using transfers

or

B) build a small 1980s layout
B sounds like an option! (Presuming you're set more in the 70s at present?)

DJ_K666

B sounds like an option! (Presuming you're set more in the 70s at present?)
Yes I got so absorbed in making sure all the running numbers were different I forgot to look at the branding.

I'm very much 70s. To me that was the most interesting part of the 'blue' era, I grew up through thd 80s and missed out on much of the cool stuff.

fgwrich

Established Member
New arrivals into the house include this Bachmann FNW 150/1… but not for much longer ;)

(See workbench thread soon)

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

sprinterguy

Established Member
A Peppercorn K1 has arrived to haul The Jacobite with compliant Mk2’s on Fort George.
View attachment 156715
Wonderfully smooth, quiet and capable runners, those Hornby K1s. Mine has been the stalwart performer on the 'Jacobite' equivalent on my layout for the past three, soon to be four, seasons.

Potentially a simple renumbering job to the preserved 62005 with yours, as well.

SCH117X

Established Member
Strictly there are detail differences to the preserved K1. A pity as I would have thought one as 2005 in apple green would be a good seller.

Iskra

Established Member
Wonderfully smooth, quiet and capable runners, those Hornby K1s. Mine has been the stalwart performer on the 'Jacobite' equivalent on my layout for the past three, soon to be four, seasons.

Potentially a simple renumbering job to the preserved 62005 with yours, as well.
Yes, I’m very pleased with it.

I did consider it, but I’d need name plates as well really.

I would like a new Hornby Black 5 for the Jacobite eventually.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I did consider it, but I’d need name plates as well really.
That's true, I forget sometimes that the surviving K1 has spent some time named while in preservation - though it seems to have also run without plates for periods of time since it was returned to black livery.

Last edited: