• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

Peter C

Established Member
Don’t you EVER get those mixed up again! ;)
Reading that post again, it sounds like I can't tell the difference between their shapes but in my defence, your honour, it was going based on the sounds, and it was a rather tight connection, and I had just been on a rather busy train through the tunnel on the SVR behind a 37 in the buffet car so was still trying to stop my ears ringing*, and, and, and... ;)

Diesels are really easy; the lower the number, the smaller the loco!
Now you mention that, it's incredibly obvious. How had I never realised this before?!

-Peter

*(from both the sound of the engines and the men, many of whom had, shall we say, visited the bar at some point on the journey - how so many managed it in the ten minutes from Kidderminster I'll never know...)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Have you managed to get them running as a pair yet? That’ll be amazing!
Unfortunately not, and I'm not sure when I'll get the chance as I'm rather busy helping my mum move house at the moment. I've run it in on the rolling road, played around with the sounds, and boxed it up again! Hopefully by the time I turn 40 in a few months I'll have some sort of setup at least partially built.

SprattyHeath

It's been a while since i've actually written anything on this forum so I might as well post some modelling stuff here since that's currently one of my main ongoing projects at the moment

My last accuisition would have to be this lovely Bachmann Class 57/3 I got in the NR livery with some nice matching Hornby Mk2fs!

Layout at the moment is still in very VERY early stages, so I wont bother to show much as there's just not anything happening right now lol

1638295934485.png
1638295969912.png

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's been a while since i've actually written anything on this forum so I might as well post some modelling stuff here since that's currently one of my main ongoing projects at the moment

My last accuisition would have to be this lovely Bachmann Class 57/3 I got in the NR livery with some nice matching Hornby Mk2fs!

Layout at the moment is still in very VERY early stages, so I wont bother to show much as there's just not anything happening right now lol

View attachment 106352
View attachment 106354

That’s a rather nice thing! It looks like you’ve got quite a project going on there as well…

SprattyHeath

That’s a rather nice thing! It looks like you’ve got quite a project going on there as well…
Thanks, the layout is actually going to be quite small due to the limitation of space in my room, so i'm trying to make the most of what space I can use

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks, the layout is actually going to be quite small due to the limitation of space in my room, so i'm trying to make the most of what space I can use

I like the use of cork with shoulders for the ballast.

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 106352
View attachment 106354
That looks really nice. Were those from the Kernow Model Centre Network Rail pack they did a week or so ago? Sold like there was no tomorrow but one hell of a bargain. The detailing on the front of the 57 always makes them stand out for me.

-Peter

SprattyHeath

That looks really nice. Were those from the Kernow Model Centre Network Rail pack they did a week or so ago? Sold like there was no tomorrow but one hell of a bargain. The detailing on the front of the 57 always makes them stand out for me.

-Peter
Technically yes but no. Whilst the 57 is a KMRC exclusive I actually bought it second hand on a Facebook Group DCC Fitted for £105 (yes I know!) And the Mk2Fs were bought newfrom TTC diecast (£35 each).

Peter C

Established Member
Technically yes but no. Whilst the 57 is a KMRC exclusive I actually bought it second hand on a Facebook Group DCC Fitted for £105 (yes I know!) And the Mk2Fs were bought newfrom TTC diecast (£35 each).
Ah cool - so still quite a good deal with the engine! That's a great bargain. I've got a Hornby NR Mk2 (wouldn't be able to say which one it was off the top of my head) and it's a good model. Nice to see them made up into a matching rake!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

That’s a good price for those coaches. Are they based on Bachmann ones or are they stand alone models? I’ve never heard of that company before.

SprattyHeath

That’s a good price for those coaches. Are they based on Bachmann ones or are they stand alone models? I’ve never heard of that company before.
They are just the Hornby ones, the name TTC Diecast is the shop I bought them from

Ted633

Recently took delivery of the Bachmann 117 with sound, my 1st sound model. Reduced from Kernow as part of their exhibition special for £300 which is fairly reasonable for a sound unit in today's world. Impressed with it so far, takes some getting used to with trying to remember what all the functions do.
Alongside you can also see the other new arrival, a NSE liveried MK1 RMB. Will need weathering to match the mk 2's at some point as it's squeaky clean compared to the rest of the rake at the moment!IMG_20211203_152314.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
Recently took delivery of the Bachmann 117 with sound, my 1st sound model. Reduced from Kernow as part of their exhibition special for £300 which is fairly reasonable for a sound unit in today's world. Impressed with it so far, takes some getting used to with trying to remember what all the functions do.
Alongside you can also see the other new arrival, a NSE liveried MK1 RMB. Will need weathering to match the mk 2's at some point as it's squeaky clean compared to the rest of the rake at the moment!View attachment 106443
That 117 looks very nice. Just wait until in a few short years, you'll have a small fleet all with sound to deafen anyone nearby :lol:
That Mk1 is really rather nice too. There's just something about the NSE branding identity which just worked.

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Alongside you can also see the other new arrival, a NSE liveried MK1 RMB. Will need weathering to match the mk 2's at some point as it's squeaky clean compared to the rest of the rake at the moment!View attachment 106443
That’s a really nice looking model :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Like it. Could be Twyford in the early 1990s…

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My airbrush has arrived :)

View attachment 106453

That actually looks quite a bit better than my cheapy version.
I think you’ll have fun with that once you’ve had a bit of practice. Just remember to clean it out really well after using it and you’ll be fine.

Iskra

Established Member
That actually looks quite a bit better than my cheapy version.
I think you’ll have fun with that once you’ve had a bit of practice. Just remember to clean it out really well after using it and you’ll be fine.
Mine was quite cheap from Howes as it was on offer, about £30 I believe.

Yeah, I’m going to practice on my poor cheap Dapol weathering practice carriage first.

What pigments do you use?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What pigments do you use?
I’ve tried all kinds of mixes but I I’ve suffered the occasional pebble dashing due to it being a bit thick (I’m no expert) and that really shows up in N scale…

Generally Mig acrylics or Humbrol enamel. Trial and error really.

Peter C

Established Member
A new engine arrived today - I've included it in my advent calendar for today but here's the post if anyone wants to read it:
Day eight of the Oldmoor Junction Model Railway 2021 Advent Calendar - and it's a brand-new (well, new to the layout) engine!

Day 8 - Lord of the Isles.jpeg
This is a Triang 'Achilles' class - specifically, no. 3046 Lord of the Isles. It's a model I've been looking into getting for some time now, because the design looks really nice in my opinion - plus, it's another Great Western engine to add to the collection ;)
The engine arrived today and came from eBay for only about £40 including postage, which given that some people are trying to get over £100 for one isn't bad. It's made even better by the fact that I'd seen another one for sale in a worse condition and almost went for it - thank goodness I did because this one is so much nicer! It runs really nicely, although the large flanges on the wheels means it bounces around a bit over points, but that just adds to its charm I think. Given it was made anywhere between 1963 and 1973 it's not bad. There are a few things which are really nice about it, such as the front pony-truck (is that the right term?) frames are metal, and there is a small amount of painted cab detailing. The tender comes without a coal load - or at least mine has - so I might make a removable one at some point.
There's something really interesting about these single-wheeler designs; you can't see any moving parts as you would with a traditional engine so it's definitely unique in the Oldmoor fleet!

Thanks for reading. :)

-Peter

-Peter