• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Now that does look nice. One of, if not the, most important coaches in a rake ;)

-Peter

My first buffet car in N gauge Peter. Already weathered too so straight into service…

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
My first buffet car in N gauge Peter. Already weathered too so straight into service…
Oooh - and weathered; even better! Just make sure it's kept well-stocked with soggy sandwiches (and probably scones, being down in the West Country?)... :lol:

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oooh - and weathered; even better! Just make sure it's kept well-stocked with soggy sandwiches (and probably scones, being down in the West Country?)... :lol:

-Peter

Don’t go there with the scone thing. A complete change of buffet car and staff may be required to cross the Tamar…

Peter C

Established Member
Don’t go there with the scone thing. A complete change of buffet car and staff may be required to cross the Tamar…
Haha :lol:
I'm now wondering if you could have a buffet slip-coach so you could drop one off before crossing the border - but then you'd need a reversed-slip-coach to put a buffet coach back on (and you'd have to make sure you didn't crash the coach into the train). Sounds a bit dangerous but I'm sure you could do it, surely?

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Haha :lol:
I'm now wondering if you could have a buffet slip-coach so you could drop one off before crossing the border - but then you'd need a reversed-slip-coach to put a buffet coach back on (and you'd have to make sure you didn't crash the coach into the train). Sounds a bit dangerous but I'm sure you could do it, surely?

-Peter

Food for thought. ;)

Iskra

Established Member
My Christmas acquisitions are below:

EB4FBE68-8CC7-41B7-AF16-F39D8AD18689.jpeg

A bachmann scenecraft camping coach, although instead it acts as a depot mess coach for crew/staff as the shed lacks any such facilities.

And a gaugemaster platform kit. I’ve tried a number of different solutions and I’ve not been happy with each for a different reason. I found these rather cheap (about £4 for two platform lengths) on Rails of Sheffield’s website and they suit the space perfectly. I’m going to spray paint them with a grey colour (I will do a practice spray on the underside of a section first to judge if the finish quality is right) and they come with some information signs/bench attachments that go in the small slots which I will need to hand paint separately. I will then just need to add some little bits of fencing on at a later date for passenger health and safety in certain areas. I’ve ordered another couple of platform kits to complete the station. A spare platform end is acting as a motorail loading ramp from what will be the station car park eventually.

6CEB4F81-0278-4BE1-9632-43439989DB41.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looking good. That camping coach looks the part too.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well I’ve just ordered a mk1 buffet from The Model Centre who’ve got a sale on at the moment.
It’s not so much for running on my railway, I’ve got it to run on my friends layout (which has more of a main line feel) when we start doing shows again.

View attachment 107863
Very nice Mk1 RU, I need a few RBR myself and probably an RMB.

1908 had a short life - new to the WR in 1957, transferred to the LMR in 1975 withdrawn and then preserved in late '77 but scrapped in '03.

Except its a restaurant car, no buffet ;)

-Peter
More like steak entrecote and parsley potatoes, BR seems to have loved putting those on its restaurant car menus. Was it someone high-up's favourite dinner?

View attachment 108040

A bachmann scenecraft camping coach, although instead it acts as a depot mess coach for crew/staff as the shed lacks any such facilities.

And a gaugemaster platform kit. I’ve tried a number of different solutions and I’ve not been happy with each for a different reason. I found these rather cheap (about £4 for two platform lengths) on Rails of Sheffield’s website and they suit the space perfectly. I’m going to spray paint them with a grey colour (I will do a practice spray on the underside of a section first to judge if the finish quality is right) and they come with some information signs/bench attachments that go in the small slots which I will need to hand paint separately. I will then just need to add some little bits of fencing on at a later date for passenger health and safety in certain areas. I’ve ordered another couple of platform kits to complete the station. A spare platform end is acting as a motorail loading ramp from what will be the station car park eventually.

View attachment 108041
Very nice, I like the shed and camping coach.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Indeed. Proper meals will be available on this service. :)
Like this?
medium_pic_2005_7650.jpg

I'll have the soup, grilled halibut with those ever-present "parsley potatoes", Scotch woodcock and washed down with a Gaelic coffee, thanks. Oh and a bottle of Graves on the side. ;)

And you may suggest an aperitif...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Like this?
View attachment 108050

I'll have the soup, grilled halibut with those ever-present "parsley potatoes", Scotch woodcock and washed down with a Gaelic coffee, thanks. Oh and a bottle of Graves on the side. ;)

And you may suggest an aperitif...

Oh yes. I think I’ll join you with the halibut.
I thought it said garlic coffee at first (blurgh). :lol:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
thought it said garlic coffee at first (blurgh). :lol:
Oh god no, that would bring up those parsley potatoes o_O

Gaelic coffee is Irish coffee but with Scotch whisky instead of Irish whiskey. So obviously a superior concoction... <:D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh god no, that would bring up those parsley potatoes o_O

Gaelic coffee is Irish coffee but with Scotch whisky instead of Irish whiskey. So obviously a superior concoction... <:D

I’ll definitely be having one of those!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I've just got back into my model railway layout at my parents, during december I dismantled it and reinforced the base boards and started again (My skills when I built it when I was 14-17 were not great, I am now more than a decade older!).

During Christmas I finally got track back down, not fully laid I need to do some lining up and checking. But due to this my Mrs decided that this would be one of my main presents. Some Network Rail carriages and a DVT (due to my employment). Must say I'm chuffed with them, not had anything new for years and the detailing has really come on. The lights in the DVT (still not updated to DCC) really are a step up from what I bought as a teenager.

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 108040

View attachment 108041
That camping coach looks very nice. I quite like the Bachmann Scenecraft range (from the few bits I've seen).
Those platform pieces are new to me but they do look good. Also liking what you've done with one side of the wider platform sticking out beyond the end of the other; I've done a similar thing on part of Oldmoor Junction because, like yours, one track curves over and joins up with the line serving the other platform.

=====

I've just made a post on my layout thread about the new models on the layout - here it is:
It's the last day of 2021 today (how this can be, I simply don't know - it was August yesterday), and I thought it was as a good a time as any to share the latest acquisitions on the Oldmoor Junction Model Railway (really, the things I got at Christmas - which I refuse to believe was six days ago).
Let's jump into this and see how much I can waffle on then, shall we? :lol:

View attachment 108061
The first item is this lovely Hornby A1 Terrier. It's in LSWR green and it's absolutely tiny in comparison to pretty much everything else on the layout! It came pre-DCC-fitted from Hattons and is a lovely runner. There's loads of detailing on it and the livery is superb. That's the main reason I went for it actually; the green isn't unique on the layout in the sense of it being a shade of green, but the bright colour is so nice and really adds to the whole thing.
The second item is the coach currently coupled to the first - a Hornby Mk1 brake coach. I can't remember the technical term at the moment but it's one of those ones with the guard's bit (or the brake bit, whichever) in half the carriage with the other half being normal seating; it's a design I've already got two of on the layout, but they're both test-train coaches and so would look a bit out-of-place in a heritage rake! This coach ticks two boxes - firstly, it's a passenger-rake-prototypical livery, and secondly, it's in maroon - a livery I've seen countless times on heritage railways but not yet had on the layout. Hopefully at some point I'll have a few more maroon coaches to join this one!

View attachment 108062
The third item is this GWR Mk3. It's a first-class one and takes the number of GWR Mk3s on the layout up to three - thus meaning there are five total (the other two being old Hornby ones - the short ones - in BR blue/grey). Just as with the other two GWR Mk3s on the layout, there's not really much to complain about with this model - the gloss finish is lovely, there's plenty of detailing, and the couplings allow for close connections between the carriages. There's also the fact that being from the Western Region and having grown up with the FGW/GWR HST sets, the plan is to make a GWR HST set at some point (because I doubt I'll ever be able to afford a Hornby FGW Mk3 without selling a kidney) - probably using the RailRoad-style GWR HST powercars.

View attachment 108064
The fourth item is this Network Rail Mk3 - I didn't put two and two together until I saw it in person, but I think it's probably supposed to go in a New Measurement Train rake. Either way, it's a lovely addition to the test train fleet, which now comprises four yellow coaches. Just as with the GWR Mk3, there's really not a lot to complain about with this coach - apart from maybe that some of the bits of plastic put in the windows to change their shape or otherwise remove them are very noticeable in places. However this is typical of the whole Hornby test train range so it's not a major problem as it fits in with the other coaches in the rake.

View attachment 108065View attachment 108066
The last items for today are these two vehicles - the first being a Morris Marina (no, of course I didn't have to look that up), and the second being a British Rail Land Rover. They're lovely additions to the layout and I can easily see how people start collecting these little models - they're not overly expensive and they make for a really good way of populating a town scene. I don't quite know where the Land Rover is heading off to, but I can only assume there's been some sort of issue up the line! Probably leaves - or the wrong kind of snow - or maybe that 'Jubilee' currently looking in the insurance offices' window...

Anyway - that's it for 2021 on the Oldmoor Junction Model Railway. Thanks so much for reading all of the stuff I've written over the past year (well, even if you've not read it all - and I don't blame you - I still really appreciate it) - it's really lovely to read the responses from everyone and the banter makes it all the more worthwhile. I've had two extremes really in terms of the outside world and its affect on the layout; for a not-insignificant proportion of the year I had quite a bit of free time, and got a fair bit done, but then for the past few months it's been a lot more full-on so less has been finished but I'm still really happy with the overall state of the layout as it stands.
I've got all sorts of ideas for 2022 - I've shared most, if not all, of them with you already: let's see how well it goes!

Happy New Year, everybody - let's hope it's a good one. ;)

-Peter

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've just got back into my model railway layout at my parents, during december I dismantled it and reinforced the base boards and started again (My skills when I built it when I was 14-17 were not great, I am now more than a decade older!).

During Christmas I finally got track back down, not fully laid I need to do some lining up and checking. But due to this my Mrs decided that this would be one of my main presents. Some Network Rail carriages and a DVT (due to my employment). Must say I'm chuffed with them, not had anything new for years and the detailing has really come on. The lights in the DVT (still not updated to DCC) really are a step up from what I bought as a teenager.

It’s amazing how much things have improved especially if you’ve had a bit of a gap between being into modelling

YorkshireBear

Established Member
It’s amazing how much things have improved especially if you’ve had a bit of a gap between being into modelling
The prices have come on to match! But yeah everything has advanced so much, I am enjoying it so far!

birchesgreen

Established Member
New year new loco, just arrived is this lovely, a Gmeinder D75 BB-SE, the fourth i've got now.

Attachments

• FIQ06vDXwBYG7_y.jpg
    FIQ06vDXwBYG7_y.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 14

Veteran Member
On the 7th day of Christmas I started running in my Maunsell S15... lovely model, which will mostly work a through freight but also has a suitably incongruous (I hope) passenger diagram.
On the 11th day of Christmas I finished 3 1980s Ian Kirk kits (the green ones in the pic). Don't look too closely, because even without my lack of skill they are shown up by the 2020 Hornby brakes. The 2-P set doesn't yet run properly, maybe the bogies don't like imperfect track....

And today, being Epiphany, they are revealed to the world (OK, the forum). Happy New Year!

PS on the 6th day of Christmas I took a farewell trip behind the KWVR 4F and the pair of goods brakes arrived too.
IMG_20220103_151902320_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
My shelf of shame gained a new occupant a few days ago. A nice Piko n-wagon with modernised Wittenberg cab sneaking in the bottom left. To go with the 101, 152, 120 & ICE 2 powerhead. And full ICE2 rake, and full generic IC rake. And I'm already eyeing up an ICE-T...

DSC_0820.jpg

Hopefully I'll buy a house this year and then they'll have a layout to run round...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My shelf of shame gained a new occupant a few days ago. A nice Piko n-wagon with modernised Wittenberg cab sneaking in the bottom left. To go with the 101, 152, 120 & ICE 2 powerhead. And full ICE2 rake, and full generic IC rake. And I'm already eyeing up an ICE-T...

View attachment 108613

Hopefully I'll buy a house this year and then they'll have a layout to run round...

These are lovely things!!

Iskra

Established Member
A couple of acquisitions. The first is a Hornby Teak, I've been wanting one of these new versions for a while and they really are a superb model, featuring locomotive quality features such as sprung buffers and separately fitted handrails. And some wet and dry paper to act as tarmac courtesy of @BRblue33 's inspiration

1641977606033.png

TheEdge

Established Member
These are lovely things!!

They are, also expensive... :lol:

A couple of acquisitions. The first is a Hornby Teak, I've been wanting one of these new versions for a while and they really are a superb model, featuring locomotive quality features such as sprung buffers and separately fitted handrails.

For all my dislike of Hornby those Teaks really are things of beauty.

Spamcan81

Having recently taken delivery of LNER 10000 in original form, I was delighted to received an e-mail telling my my rebuilt version is also on its way.

TheEdge

Established Member
They are aren’t they! What got you into German stuff?

Childhood holidays to the Moselle valley which is complete with the traditional German mainline running through vineyards and villages in a deep gorge. That and Europe in general and Germany in particular has been a hold out of loco hauled stock much longer than the UK. Also when I was deciding what to collect two periods were duking it out in my head, 2000/2010s Rhineland or 1990/2000s Devon. The range of stock available for Germany far exceeded the UK outline offering so it clinched it.

Although I did get myself the Dapol Fag Packet HST, just in case I change my mind later...

reddragon

Established Member

View attachment 108613

I do intend to get a few non UK trains in time. A DB & US steam with sound, love those whistles, DD coaches, maybe more in time, HO of course.

I assume they come with NEM couplings so can interconnect with UK stock?

TheEdge

Established Member
I do intend to get a few non UK trains in time. A DB & US steam with sound, love those whistles, DD coaches, maybe more in time, HO of course.

I assume they come with NEM couplings so can interconnect with UK stock?

Not sure what the compatibility with H0 and OO is, those are N. For what its worth they still use the NEM Arnold-Rapido couplers so I presume its similar in H0.

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 108613

All of those look really nice. The double-decker coaches (apologies, I'm no good with German railways!) look really cool too. I've not been particularly interested in overseas railways before but things like that are really cool. The one with the cab reminds me of a DVT, but better - is that essentially what it is?

A couple of acquisitions. The first is a Hornby Teak, I've been wanting one of these new versions for a while and they really are a superb model, featuring locomotive quality features such as sprung buffers and separately fitted handrails. And some wet and dry paper to act as tarmac courtesy of @BRblue33 's inspiration

View attachment 108620
As much as I moan about Hornby, they do make some good models. That coach looks lovely - the finish on it looks really quite realistic. It's a contentious issue (from what I've gathered) in some modelling circles, but I quite like the idea of sprung buffers on rolling stock. Even if it doesn't function like it would on the real thing, it's nice to know it's there.

-Peter :)

TheEdge

Established Member
All of those look really nice. The double-decker coaches (apologies, I'm no good with German railways!) look really cool too. I've not been particularly interested in overseas railways before but things like that are really cool. The one with the cab reminds me of a DVT, but better - is that essentially what it is?

I do like the doppelstock, there's a few different versions of them.

Yes, pretty much all normal German hauled coaches have a driving cab version. But they let them have seats in them.