• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

Iskra

Established Member
I'm not looking for any particular livery, but I have seen a few Great Western ones which look nice. The Intercity ones I've seen also look really cool and would make a contrast with the BR Blue/Grey Hornby HST already on the layout. Lima's HSTs had far more detail than the old Hornby ones.

-Peter
To be fair there aren't really any bad HST liveries, so you can't got too far wrong. Yeah, in the future I may procure a Lima one and see if I can weather/detail it to spruce it up.

I've another, less glamorous acquisition to report today; some more baseboard legs and back scene boards have arrived that I ordered sometime ago. This should allow me to implement the original L shape of my layout which should facilitate slightly longer trains and another couple of feet of scenic space as well as allowing me to add a backscene of course too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Flowers, glue, bushes, paint and turf.
Methinks someone hit eBay after a couple of beers on Friday night...

Iskra

Established Member
I took advantage of a decent price at Rails for a weathered, DCC fitted example of a class 27. It’s an excellent runner and the factory weathering is some of the best out of the box weathering I’ve seen.

Attachments

• A75E7E0C-00B3-40F3-B741-1809030DDA2A.jpeg
    A75E7E0C-00B3-40F3-B741-1809030DDA2A.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 059456A4-6703-4029-85A3-A64466CB1295.jpeg
    059456A4-6703-4029-85A3-A64466CB1295.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I took advantage of a decent price at Rails for a weathered, DCC fitted example of a class 27. It’s an excellent runner and the factory weathering is some of the best out of the box weathering I’ve seen.

Oh yes please.
That looks absolutely perfect for your railway as well.

Iskra

Established Member
Oh yes please.
That looks absolutely perfect for your railway as well.
Yeah that one was the missing ingredient really.

The only other obvious omission now is a class 21/29, but they are fairly cheap too so hopefully I can pick one of those up in the future :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah that one was the missing ingredient really.

The only other obvious omission now is a class 21/29, but they are fairly cheap too so hopefully I can pick one of those up in the future :)

A 29 would look great alongside the 27. Being a bit out of touch who actually makes them?
That weathering does look very good by the way...

Iskra

Established Member
A 29 would look great alongside the 27. Being a bit out of touch who actually makes them?
That weathering does look very good by the way...
Dapol, but they look quite a simple model so I’m in no massive rush to get one. I think Hornby did them also but a fair while ago.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Dapol, but they look quite a simple model so I’m in no massive rush to get one. I think Hornby did them also but a fair while ago.

Hornby did do a class 29 that’s right. A bit of strange choice doing such a niche loco which I think had disappeared from BR service by the time the model was introduced. It was probably an easy win using the class 25 chassis though.

Iskra

Established Member
Hornby did do a class 29 that’s right. A bit of strange choice doing such a niche loco which I think had disappeared from BR service by the time the model was introduced. It was probably an easy win using the class 25 chassis though.
Yes, probably quite similar to the class 23 chassis too I should imagine. They are fairly niche but the Highlands is a common area to model.

Peter C

Established Member
I like the look of that; I'm not a massive BR green fan but that seems to be a lovely application of the livery. The weathering is brilliant too!

I made a couple of purchases the other night - both from Rails of Sheffield. One of them was this wagon: https://railsofsheffield.com/produc...b-exclusive-br-bauxite-mdv-coal-wagon-b312963
It's a special commission by Jennifer Kirk (YouTube channel Jennifer E. Kirk) of an Accurascale wagon into a 'Monday Club' (the name for her Monday-night livestreams) design. I thought £30 was a bit much for one wagon but I had a voucher and thought it would be good to spend it on that.

That wagon's not to be released until Q3 this year I believe, so I'll probably be sharing pictures of it in the Autumn, but something which should hopefully be arriving sooner is this:
Apparently, it's very good. I'll have to wait until I get it to see if that's the case though! If it doesn't work, it'll be sitting around on the shelf or going on eBay. It's on back order with Rails so not going to be here for a while yet either.

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
I like the look of that; I'm not a massive BR green fan but that seems to be a lovely application of the livery. The weathering is brilliant too!

I made a couple of purchases the other night - both from Rails of Sheffield. One of them was this wagon: https://railsofsheffield.com/produc...b-exclusive-br-bauxite-mdv-coal-wagon-b312963
It's a special commission by Jennifer Kirk (YouTube channel Jennifer E. Kirk) of an Accurascale wagon into a 'Monday Club' (the name for her Monday-night livestreams) design. I thought £30 was a bit much for one wagon but I had a voucher and thought it would be good to spend it on that.

That wagon's not to be released until Q3 this year I believe, so I'll probably be sharing pictures of it in the Autumn, but something which should hopefully be arriving sooner is this:
Apparently, it's very good. I'll have to wait until I get it to see if that's the case though! If it doesn't work, it'll be sitting around on the shelf or going on eBay. It's on back order with Rails so not going to be here for a while yet either.

-Peter

It does indeed look a nice wagon and I agree about the price, but if you have a voucher it makes sense.

The track cleaning wagon looks very interesting, I'd be intrigued to hear how well it performs on your track. Although, I've not yet found my track to get particularly dirty at this point.

Peter C

Established Member
It does indeed look a nice wagon and I agree about the price, but if you have a voucher it makes sense.

The track cleaning wagon looks very interesting, I'd be intrigued to hear how well it performs on your track. Although, I've not yet found my track to get particularly dirty at this point.
I'll admit I'm still a bit apprehensive about that track cleaning wagon; everyone seems to say different things about them and others like it, and no-one can agree on whether they work or not. My track gets really quite dirty as I run quite a lot of engines/coaches with dirty wheels, as well as several engines which tend to create sparks which then makes the track dirtier (which might as well be magic to me).

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
I'll admit I'm still a bit apprehensive about that track cleaning wagon; everyone seems to say different things about them and others like it, and no-one can agree on whether they work or not. My track gets really quite dirty as I run quite a lot of engines/coaches with dirty wheels, as well as several engines which tend to create sparks which then makes the track dirtier (which might as well be magic to me).

-Peter
I totally agree Peter, that's why I'm eager to hear how yours works!

- - - - - - -

I ordered some Bachmann Scenecraft buffers which were announced earlier this year. They've arrived and they look alright, but need griming up a little. I was surprised to find that they are self-assembly. These will go on the non-platform sidings on my layout, while the platforms retain the older more substantial buffer stops.

Buffer.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I totally agree Peter, that's why I'm eager to hear how yours works!

- - - - - - -

I ordered some Bachmann Scenecraft buffers which were announced earlier this year. They've arrived and they look alright, but need griming up a little. I was surprised to find that they are self-assembly. These will go on the non-platform sidings on my layout, while the platforms retain the older more substantial buffer stops.

View attachment 92849

They’re pretty nice aren’t they. The rails they’re made of look very convincing and will look great with a bit of rust on them.

Peter C

Established Member
This arrived yesterday:
Lima Class 09.jpeg
It's a Lima Class 09 which has been repainted into BR Green and fitted with glazing. Total cost just under £30, including postage, from eBay - quite a good deal considering the prices parts of these engines go for on there at the moment. It uses the standard Lima ringfield/pancake motor which means it'll be easy-to-service if needed: it also runs really well.
Still waiting for my Rails of Sheffield orders I mentioned upthread. :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This arrived yesterday:
View attachment 93778
It's a Lima Class 09 which has been repainted into BR Green and fitted with glazing. Total cost just under £30, including postage, from eBay - quite a good deal considering the prices parts of these engines go for on there at the moment. It uses the standard Lima ringfield/pancake motor which means it'll be easy-to-service if needed: it also runs really well.
Still waiting for my Rails of Sheffield orders I mentioned upthread. :)

-Peter

It’s actually got a version of outside frames which is pretty good (the old Hornby one didn’t in the 1980s).
It’s not a bad model really is it?

Peter C

Established Member
It’s actually got a version of outside frames which is pretty good (the old Hornby one didn’t in the 1980s).
It’s not a bad model really is it?
That was what made me go for it - I wasn't happy with the Hornby Railroad one I had before and the Lima one seemed to be the best one with outside frames considering the fairly restrictive budget I've got. For £30 I'm really pleased with it: it runs well over points and whilst it makes the characteristic Lima 'whine', it's not dreadful.

-Peter :)

Peter C

Established Member
I think I've got a problem with buying engines...
We're four months into the year and I've bought three new engines already. What's going on?! :)

Here's the latest addition to the OJMR - a Triang "Battle of Britain".
Battle of Britain 1.jpegBattle of Britain 2.jpeg

I'll try and make this post less of a ramble than the one in my layout thread ;)
This model is a "Battle of Britain" class, manufactured sometime between 1961 and 1969, making it a strong contender for oldest engine on the layout. It's got a Triang X03/X04 motor powering its smooth running, and it's in overall very good condition considering it cost only £25 on eBay as a 'wobbly runner' (which isn't the case).
At some point, this model has been repainted to some degree; however, it's a good paintjob and the green looks like the Brunswick green (although apparently it was never actually 'Brunswick' green on BR locos) on the real thing. The nameplates have been removed, and I expect the numbers have just been painted over - my plan is to restore this model to a named example of the "Battle of Britain" class, namely 34051 Winston Churchill. 34051 hauled Churchill's funeral train in 1965 from Waterloo to Hanborough, a station I've been through many times, and making up the entire funeral train in model form appeals - especially so considering Hornby are no longer selling their train pack of the service.

Anyway - I hope this was vaguely interesting!

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Well that's certainly an interesting acquisition Peter, and it's great that it is still in good working order after all that time! I'd be interested to see what it looks like when you've finished :)

Peter C

Established Member
Well that's certainly an interesting acquisition Peter, and it's great that it is still in good working order after all that time! I'd be interested to see what it looks like when you've finished :)
It was one of the many things on my list of 'model railway things to get' - there's years' worth of stuff to buy!
I'll definitely share it when I've finished. It probably won't be for a while though: life has a habit of getting in the way :)

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
AD5E603B-B216-4E7D-884D-FB8ABD997B08.jpegE1EACEEC-795B-4214-B014-DD58C2D55D58.jpegF254AE64-5166-4C8E-BD40-CE06180E2A3E.jpeg
A few smaller additions from me, 3 tank wagons which can convey fuel for the small shed or for the fishing fleet, a blood & custard porthole 1st class coach to give the impression that it was included as an afterthought in the rake and a coaling stage for the shed area.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Iskra

Established Member
I really love that. I didn’t realise that you had a WD, that’s a nice looking model.
Yes, I got it quite cheap too off Ebay last year, it really fits the decaying steam era feel and I have a soft spot for them as there is one on the Keighley & Worth Valley that I've travelled behind a few times.

Peter C

Established Member
View attachment 95304View attachment 95305View attachment 95306
A few smaller additions from me, 3 tank wagons which can convey fuel for the small shed or for the fishing fleet, a blood & custard porthole 1st class coach to give the impression that it was included as an afterthought in the rake and a coaling stage for the shed area.
Those are some really nice additions there @Iskra - they go to show how even small things can really add to a layout.

-Peter :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oops. Just bought myself a weathered Western on a whim...

F4E68F95-6805-428B-8498-653AA6EF31F7.jpeg

It’s a bit inappropriate for my railway but they’re my favourite locos and I just couldn’t help myself!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What's your excuse going to be for having it on services, railtours? Summer Saturday services?

Well it’s the wrong era really but I’ll run it anyway as they did occasionally appear on the line in the 1970s. My friend Paul is hopefully buying a 22 and some milk tankers so that we can have the odd 1970s session on his snowy railway too.

Peter C

Established Member
Oops. Just bought myself a weathered Western on a whim...

View attachment 95352

It’s a bit inappropriate for my railway but they’re my favourite locos and I just couldn’t help myself!
That does look like a really nice model. I think "Rule 1" of model railways can always apply (my layout being a perfect example...) ;)

-Peter