• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

Peter C

Established Member
It is both an austerity tank and a J94 as they are the same loco :) Not to be confused with the WD 2-8-0 tender locomotive which was also an austerity. I think austerity is just a general term for a wartime locomotive built simply and cheaply.
Ahh that makes sense - thank you! :) Just looked it up and turns out the LNER bought some ex-WD "Austerity" tanks. Every day's a school day!

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Bubbles Car loveliness!

Some nice purchases everyone. I love that Longmoor tank @Iskra.

Top marks to @TheEdge for getting a Tortoise into the thread though. I wasn’t expecting to see that. :lol:

Iskra

Established Member
Guys, meet Ethel.

B65ECA00-887C-4F45-89AA-4C8F034FB1A5.jpeg
I’m quite impressed with this Heljan model- it looks the part and has a good weight to it too.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Now that does look very nice. I'm rather partial to the white handrails and lamp irons, I must admit... ;)

-Peter

When they ended up allocated to special trains and were painted into Intercity livery (after the ETH fitted 37/4s took over the Fort William sleepers), they had to have mesh fixed over their windscreens to stop lumps of coal bouncing off the loco tenders and smashing through the glass. :)

Iskra

Established Member
When they ended up allocated to special trains and were painted into Intercity livery (after the ETH fitted 37/4s took over the Fort William sleepers), they had to have mesh fixed over their windscreens to stop lumps of coal bouncing off the loco tenders and smashing through the glass. :)
Now that's a good bit of random knowledge! :D I think it's a shame none survived into preservation.

Peter C

Established Member
Now that is most interesting indeed! Of course we all know which form of motive power is the superior in this equation... ;)

-Peter

xotGD

Established Member
Now that's a good bit of random knowledge! :D I think it's a shame none survived into preservation.
I suppose someone could paint a preserved Rat to look like an Ethel. I think the 25 at Haworth has knackered traction motors as a result of flood damage, so a good candidate.

Iskra

Established Member
I suppose someone could paint a preserved Rat to look like an Ethel. I think the 25 at Haworth has knackered traction motors as a result of flood damage, so a good candidate.
That’s a good point, there’s plenty of them so only a matter of time I should imagine, although there isn’t that much blue/grey or intercity rolling stock around to match.

ungreat

Waiting on the Leader showing up
Then I think I'm complete!
120 odd electric and diesel locos...20 units EMU and DMU
60 steam.

reddragon

Established Member
Waiting on the Leader showing up
Then I think I'm complete!
120 odd electric and diesel locos...20 units EMU and DMU
60 steam.
Are they all on track & running or display / box bound?
I have a large layout & have a lot less locos / units

Ted633

IMG_20220506_194433.jpg
Finally managed to get hold of some GNER Mk3's without spending a small fortune (only paid 99p for one of them, albeit it's minus bogies which I happened to have spares for)
HST rake now at 6 coaches, which looks must better than just a pair of Hornby 'short' ones!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
View attachment 114186
Finally managed to get hold of some GNER Mk3's without spending a small fortune (only paid 99p for one of them, albeit it's minus bogies which I happened to have spares for)
HST rake now at 6 coaches, which looks must better than just a pair of Hornby 'short' ones!

That’s a fine looking train!

Iskra

Established Member
It's very nice looking and a classic livery, but the MK3's being too short just ruins it for me I'm afraid. Perhaps I'm too OCD about such things...

Peter C

Established Member
View attachment 114186
Now that is very nice isn't it? Really rather smart. ;)

-Peter

Ted633

It's very nice looking and a classic livery, but the MK3's being too short just ruins it for me I'm afraid. Perhaps I'm too OCD about such things...
I'll be keeping an eye out for further bargains on scale length Mk3's to enable withdrawal of the short coaches. I'll admit, it does look a bit odd with varying coach lengths through the formation.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I just bought one of these: :)

739B37B2-5F30-40F2-93C5-F1FF55BA4FFB.jpeg

I’m going to say that it’s my birthday present to myself in a couple of weeks. That’s my excuse anyway.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Certainly an interesting looking locomotive, were these used on the Barnstaple Line, or is this one more for your next project?

They were indeed used on the Barnstaple line and they went up to Ilfracombe before that bit closed.

Actually I really like that late 60s early 70s period when things were going from green and maroon into BR blue, so this is a partner for my Western really. I’ll probably try and get a Warship later in the year too…

Iskra

Established Member
They were indeed used on the Barnstaple line and they went up to Ilfracombe before that bit closed.

Actually I really like that late 60s early 70s period when things were going from green and maroon into BR blue, so this is a partner for my Western really. I’ll probably try and get a Warship later in the year too…
Excellent! I can certainly empathise with liking the transition periods, and as a modeller they let you include so much more variety and interesting combinations :) Haha, rude not to get a Warship too really ;) Then you will need a Falcon too... :D