• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

RichJF

Couple of 2nd hand gems. Combined under £80!

Lima class 26 in green, with detail pack added by me. Loco is from the mid-90s but barely looks run in!
IMG_20220507_232109.jpg

Bachmann class 03 in green. Another great runner after servicing.
IMG_20220507_232209.jpg

Both on my current in-building micro cement/industrial micro layout.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Lima class 26 in green, with detail pack added by me. Loco is from the mid-90s but barely looks run in!
View attachment 114245

View attachment 114246

Very nice.
You love a micro layout don’t you. ;)

I wonder if we should do a micro layout challenge on the forum..?

RichJF

Very nice.
You love a micro layout don’t you. ;)

I wonder if we should do a micro layout challenge on the forum..?
That's the joy of living in an apartment with limited storage & wanting a layout o_O

I've got a 5ft X 9" HO warehouse layout for my American locos too.

I find them quick to build & don't require much preparation. I'm on RMWeb & micro/boxfiles are becoming a HUGE trend.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's the joy of living in an apartment with limited storage & wanting a layout o_O

I've got a 5ft X 9" HO warehouse layout for my American locos too.

I find them quick to build & don't require much preparation. I'm on RMWeb & micro/boxfiles are becoming a HUGE trend.

I’m on there too and I quite enjoy posting the odd photo.
I think there’s something in this that might be worth developing. Something along the lines of building something out of the bits you have lying around.
Creativity doesn’t have to cost much.

Towers

Established Member

View attachment 114245

View attachment 114246

Nice :)

Can I ask which buffers you used, if indeed you replaced them? Trying to find some for a Lima 33!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I bought myself a maroon mk1 buffet as well yesterday. I’m going to weather it and it can go in my blue and grey mk1 set when I’m running the Hymek or the Western.
A genuine bargain for once!

6DBE6BC3-F772-4659-AB5A-187A5FA4F9B7.jpeg

Iskra

Established Member

View attachment 114245

View attachment 114246

That's a very nice looking pair of loco's and micro layout. Great value too!

I bought myself a maroon mk1 buffet as well yesterday. I’m going to weather it and it can go in my blue and grey mk1 set when I’m running the Hymek or the Western.
A genuine bargain for once!

View attachment 114295

Very nice, I'm looking forward to seeing that in action! ;)

- - - - - - - - - -

Not so good value for money for my latest acquisition, but it's a rare item that I needed really. A used Bachmann MK2 Highlander Brake Coach for £40. It's been renamed imperfectly, but these don't come up for sale much and this was the best of a questionable bunch that appeared from the same seller simultaneously all at the same price and although pricey, I've seen them sold for much more. This now means I have a passable 3-coach rake of Highlander stock.

thumbnail_IMG_7367.jpg

TheEdge

Established Member
Unlike Vlad in the Kremlin my plan is all coming together. Time to get the soldering iron out.

Attachments

• DSC_1154~2.JPG
    DSC_1154~2.JPG
    636.2 KB · Views: 27

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Unlike Vlad in the Kremlin my plan is all coming together. Time to get the soldering iron out.

Ah. Now I haven’t been brave enough to try this yet. Is this the first one that you’ll have done?

TheEdge

Established Member
Ah. Now I haven’t been brave enough to try this yet. Is this the first one that you’ll have done?

This is the first expensive one. I've hard wired a normal cheap chip into a loco but this one will need some more work and cutting

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is the first expensive one. I've hard wired a normal cheap chip into a loco but this one will need some more work and cutting

I’m going to be watching with interest and I might have a few questions as well. :)

TheEdge

Established Member
I’m going to be watching with interest and I might have a few questions as well. :)

This (as in the picture) isn't going into the loco. Continental N is well packed, even by N standards so retrofitting is hard. However this is going into an ICE2 which is a HST style semi permanent fixed formation. So the coach directly behind the Powerhead will have the speaker at the loco end, using the lighting kit to get power to the chip and just get the same CV as the loco, so should behave.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This (as in the picture) isn't going into the loco. Continental N is well packed, even by N standards so retrofitting is hard. However this is going into an ICE2 which is a HST style semi permanent fixed formation. So the coach directly behind the Powerhead will have the speaker at the loco end, using the lighting kit to get power to the chip and just get the same CV as the loco, so should behave.

Ah that makes a lot of sense. Thanks @TheEdge.

OK, I realise this is full 1:1 scale but I couldn’t resist a photo of my LBSCR E4 smokebox number and shed plates newly united with a genuine E4 smokebox door shell. The latter is ex 32473 Birch Grove from when she had a refit a few years ago and because of the rust, a decision was made to fabricate a new one. I need to make some replica hinges and ‘darts’ for the centre and unless someone out there has an original boiler, wheels, cylinders, cab etc I think I’ll leave it at that. Anyway, back to 00 scale, my Bachmann E4 is going to get renumbered to replicate the remains of her full scale counterpart.
0EE6D414-B050-4ADC-AF3C-740E57F533E1.jpeg

Iskra

Established Member
OK, I realise this is full 1:1 scale but I couldn’t resist a photo of my LBSCR E4 smokebox number and shed plates newly united with a genuine E4 smokebox door shell. The latter is ex 32473 Birch Grove from when she had a refit a few years ago and because of the rust, a decision was made to fabricate a new one. I need to make some replica hinges and ‘darts’ for the centre and unless someone out there has an original boiler, wheels, cylinders, cab etc I think I’ll leave it at that. Anyway, back to 00 scale, my Bachmann E4 is going to get renumbered to replicate the remains of her full scale counterpart.
View attachment 114645
Very creative, I like it!

Very creative, I like it!
I like to imagine that the rest of the loco is the other side of the brick wall eg in the kitchen. To the grandchildren, it’s Henry the green engine bricked up in the tunnel!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I like to imagine that the rest of the loco is the other side of the brick wall eg in the kitchen. To the grandchildren, it’s Henry the green engine bricked up in the tunnel!

It’s wonderful. I’d love something like that in my house!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
View attachment 114645
It's different, but looks so at home there!

Peter C

Established Member
I've been keeping an eye on this thread and it's super seeing all these new additions. I think a smokebox door is a new one on here but it does look fantastic, doesn't it? ;)

-Peter

TheEdge

Established Member
That’s brilliant. :lol:

It was surprisingly easy. These coaches are set up to fit lighting kits, so the bogies have space to fit contacts from a kit, which touch the two huge lengths of metal that act as both weight and conductors, so I could solder the chip through some pre-existing holes in the floor.

And then except for having to cut down some seats to fit the speaker the chip and capacitor fit above the seat in the roof space and can't be seen very easily

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It was surprisingly easy. These coaches are set up to fit lighting kits, so the bogies have space to fit contacts from a kit, which touch the two huge lengths of metal that act as both weight and conductors, so I could solder the chip through some pre-existing holes in the floor.

And then except for having to cut down some seats to fit the speaker the chip and capacitor fit above the seat in the roof space and can't be seen very easily

That’s actually quite a tempting conversation. Definitely easier than trying to cram it into a tiny locomotive.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One of my Hornby pre-orders has arrived I’ve ordered 3x of each livery below :)

View attachment 115260

Oh yes very nice. :)

When I had my 00 railway I had an Intercity one and a blue and grey one as well. They looked great behind a large logo 47.
Very good additions and I’m getting a bit jealous of your Scottish collection now!

Peter C

Established Member
One of my Hornby pre-orders has arrived I’ve ordered 3x of each livery below :)

View attachment 115260
Ooooh now they look nice. Is it just me or is there always a bit of excitement when receiving a new model? Especially something from the latest range. Actually @Iskra I've ended up looking into sleeper coaches now, so if I end up buying some can I send you the bill? ;)

-Peter