• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

Iskra

Established Member
All this talk about 20s and 40s makes me want to find some on eBay or somewhere for my layout - only problem is even Lima 20s are going for stupid money! (But that's a bit off-topic)

-Peter
If you're looking for 20's it might be worth looking for older Bachmann ones. Since they've just released three different new versions in the last 12 months, it could (should?) have devalued the older ones. Of course, there will be people trying to flog older ones for new prices so browse carefully...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks chaps. :)

Re class 20s and class 40s - They do sound very similar in some ways due to the fact that they’re both powered by English Electric SVT engines.
Later developments (37s, 50s etc) had CSVT engines (the C standing for Charge cooled - ie with an intercooler). That whistling sound is from the design of turbo charger they had fitted.
Follow the lineage and eventually you get to the turbocharger in the class 56 which is incredibly loud!
You could pretty much say that an 8 cylinder 1000hp class 20 engine is half of a 2000hp class 40 engine in some ways, with a lot of shared engine parts between the two.

Peter C

Established Member
If you're looking for 20's it might be worth looking for older Bachmann ones. Since they've just released three different new versions in the last 12 months, it could (should?) have devalued the older ones. Of course, there will be people trying to flog older ones for new prices so browse carefully...
I hadn't thought about that - thanks :) There was one preservation group a while ago which was selling some of the old ones, with sound, for quite a good price - almost went for one but a friend said they weren't really worth it given that the new models were out so I missed that one.

Re class 20s and class 40s - They do sound very similar in some ways due to the fact that they’re both powered by English Electric SVT engines.
Later developments (37s, 50s etc) had CSVT engines (the C standing for Charge cooled - ie with an intercooler). That whistling sound is from the design of turbo charger they had fitted.
Follow the lineage and eventually you get to the turbocharger in the class 56 which is incredibly loud!
You could pretty much say that an 8 cylinder 1000hp class 20 engine is half of a 2000hp class 40 engine in some ways, with a lot of shared engine parts between the two.
I never knew all that - thanks for explaining. Every day's a school day and all that! The main issue at the moment is that whilst I can explain the workings of a steam loco, I'm yet to understand the workings of a diesel engine: could prove problematic when trying to do anything which isn't bumbling along a heritage railway :lol:

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@Peter C - My old mechanic mate Ron used to say “Suck, Squash, Bang, Blow. That’s how a 4 stroke diesel works bay” (that’s Devonian for boy).
Turns out that there’s a few more whirring bits than that in reality, but that’s the basic premise with each turn of the crankshaft.
Now for your homework this week I’d like you to remove the camshaft from your parents car and leave it on my desk for Monday morning...

Iskra

Established Member

Thanks for the information, I'm glad there's a genuine technical reason for why they sound similar :)

Just need some 56 haulage now then...

Peter C

Established Member
@Peter C - My old mechanic mate Ron used to say “Suck, Squash, Bang, Blow. That’s how a 4 stroke diesel works bay” (that’s Devonian for boy).
And there was me thinking that was a night out in Little Piddling... ;)

Turns out that there’s a few more whirring bits than that in reality, but that’s the basic premise with each turn of the crankshaft.
Now for your homework this week I’d like you to remove the camshaft from your parents car and leave it on my desk for Monday morning...
Haha :lol:
It's definitely something I should look into. Then I can accurately mime the sounds for the engines on my layout! (Saying 'suck, squash, bang, blow' just doesn't work - it's like Ivor the Engine but not as charming)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Exactly!

- - - -

Excellent work @Cowley ,great original photo too and that's a nice rake of cement wagons you have there. And what a star getting you your full wish list! :D Happy birthday!

I like the sound of them!

If you think 20's are annoying sound wise, what do you make of class 40 'whistlers'?? :D
A class 40 at least under power sound a bit better, but almost as annoying!

Iskra

Established Member
A few of these became available from Kernow at a good price a couple of months back, so I picked one up. I’m not a massive royalist or anything, although I did do the Duke of Edinburgh’s award, but a EWS 47 is very versatile for when I run in the early privatisation era, turning up on postal trains, Virgin XC services and many other trains. I made use of Kernow’s good value DCC fitting service.

891E2C89-C550-4091-8E9A-95FEEC261302.jpeg

Peter C

Established Member
A few of these became available from Kernow at a good price a couple of months back, so I picked one up. I’m not a massive royalist or anything, although I did do the Duke of Edinburgh’s award, but a EWS 47 is very versatile for when I run in the early privatisation era, turning up on postal trains, Virgin XC services and many other trains. I made use of Kernow’s good value DCC fitting service.

View attachment 97717
That does look like a lovely engine. Having a loco which can do lots of different things should be really interesting - just like the real railway! :D

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

View attachment 97717

That is nice. Always a useful addition anyway is a 47. The snowploughs look a little prominent as they are. Can they be set back a bit further? I’ve had similar problems with other models before and had to fetch a knife to them.

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks guys, yes Cowley well spotted the plough is a little far forward as I couldn’t get it in any further so a little work to do there. I’m a bit nervous about working on the loco upside down too much due to the delicate cab roof aerials.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks guys, yes Cowley well spotted the plough is a little far forward as I couldn’t get it in any further so a little work to do there. I’m a bit nervous about working on the loco upside down too much due to the delicate cab roof aerials.

Oh yes that could be awkward. Could you take the body off first?

RichJF

I've just ordered the Grantrail Ruston 48.
In addition to go with my railroad 73 for my cement works.

Attachments

• apigqafs1__94560.1592322231.520.520.jpg
    apigqafs1__94560.1592322231.520.520.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 3

Peter C

Established Member
I've just ordered the Grantrail Ruston 48.
In addition to go with my railroad 73 for my cement works.
You certainly won't be disappointed - I've got a Queen Anne Distillery one and they're superb little things. DCC fitting is a pain though!

-Peter

AJM580

Couple of new engines from Great Eastern Models. New Hornby Peckett and second hand 57xx

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_192525444.jpg
    IMG_20210612_192525444.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210612_192544455.jpg
    IMG_20210612_192544455.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4

Peter C

Established Member
Couple of new engines from Great Eastern Models. New Hornby Peckett and second hand 57xx
Both of those look really nice. Does the Peckett run well? I was looking into getting one at some point to go with my Ruston 48DS. That 57xx looks like a Hornby/Triang one - built like tanks, those things!

-Peter

AJM580

Both of those look really nice. Does the Peckett run well? I was looking into getting one at some point to go with my Ruston 48DS. That 57xx looks like a Hornby/Triang one - built like tanks, those things!

-Peter
Yes, it's a super little runner, got it on the museum brake van shuttle. The 57xx is a 1980 Hornby model, really solid and runs well if a bit noisy. Would definitely recommend the Peckett, and will be looking out for the Ruston in BR green when out later on.

Peter C

Established Member
Yes, it's a super little runner, got it on the museum brake van shuttle. The 57xx is a 1980 Hornby model, really solid and runs well if a bit noisy. Would definitely recommend the Peckett, and will be looking out for the Ruston in BR green when out later on.
Ah super :D Hornby have certainly tapped in to quite the rich seam of industrial models recently, especially with their Peckett engines. My Hornby 57xx - of pretty much the same era as yours - doesn't work (and hasn't done for quite a while), so it's on the list of things to get sorted at some point. Hornby's Rustons are amazing models - the detail on them is really lovely and they're very quiet (and stronger than you'd expect given their size!).

-Peter

ungreat

Another lovely model from the looks of it. Does it run well? It's really cool to see such an interesting engine made into a model.

-Peter
It runs very well! I like the oddities..I've got DP2, Lion, Kestrel, Falcon and 10000 and 10001

Peter C

Established Member
It runs very well! I like the oddities..I've got DP2, Lion, Kestrel, Falcon and 10000 and 10001
Excellent :) That's a cool collection - have you got any plans to get Rails of Sheffield's model of 18000?

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

That’s a great collection. I saw recently an 0 gauge model of either 18000 or 18100 with sound and I’d love to know how they worked the sounds out? It even had a diesel donkey engine to get going!