• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

Peter C

Established Member
Oh no, they sell locos too...

And they've a lovely 85 which looks so good :wub:

Must resist, must resist :oops:

HELP! :lol::lol::lol:
:lol: :lol:
I know how you feel - the number of times I've gone looking somewhere for something and ended up spending far too much time looking at locos doesn't bear thinking about...
And there's only a small* chance you'll regret buying an engine afterwards :D

-Peter

*(amount of regret may vary)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
You could get a set of ploughs and renumber it to a boilered one maybe, a little Westie and possibly black headcode panels as well..?
I like the sound of that as well, still plenty of boiler 47s in the early 80s at least. I think actually the last fitted example was Scottish allocated - surviving with boiler until '87, forget the number.

But I digress, I'll figure something out.

I rediscovered a brilliant layout for 80s Scottish inspiration which I've been delving through intently for the last week and I think that's going to be very useful for certain detailing aspects.

Give in to the dark side…. :lol:
It would be so out of place, I have no intentions to erect any OLE!

:lol: :lol:
I know how you feel - the number of times I've gone looking somewhere for something and ended up spending far too much time looking at locos doesn't bear thinking about...
And there's only a small* chance you'll regret buying an engine afterwards :D

-Peter

*(amount of regret may vary)
Probably no emotional regret, more financial! ;) :lol:

Recently I acquired 2 highly detailed "Rivet Counter" ET44AC's, both were $254.99, including international shipping (3 - 5 days) which was $96.48, I'm considering getting another one of these at some point in the near future, I already have another one on pre-order which I'm expecting to recieve at some point next year.

I've not had the chance to get them running yet because my layout is still heavily work in progress, and until that's done I won't be running them anytime soon.

Both models are equipped with DCC & Sound.
View attachment 102007
Welcome as well. Nice locos, though I'm more into the passenger side of North American railways with a particular interest in 1930s-1950s when you had all that magnificent streamlining going on

Ted633

Just finished building a Metcalfe footbridge (2 kits to make). Was very easy to build and was fairly simple to adapt to the layout as my platform spans aren't exactly standard! Just need to find a way of making the pantographs on my 76 slightly lower when deployed as they just graze the bridge (currently running pantographs down)

IMG_20210831_204803.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
Just finished building a Metcalfe footbridge (2 kits to make). Was very easy to build and was fairly simple to adapt to the layout as my platform spans aren't exactly standard! Just need to find a way of making the pantographs on my 76 slightly lower when deployed as they just graze the bridge (currently running pantographs down)

View attachment 102010
That looks like a nice kit - just what you'd expect from Metcalfe. That SR stock looks lovely too ;)

-Peter

xotGD

Established Member
Helpful tip, thanks Peter.

I'm away to look them up, because funnily enough you sort of psychically pre-empted my next point about needing to find somewhere that sells the requisite bits 'n' bobs needed to "convert" my 47/0 into a 47/4
Surely the model sized cranks on your railway will be happier for an NB 47 to turn up than an ETH fitted loco?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Surely the model sized cranks on your railway will be happier for an NB 47 to turn up than an ETH fitted loco?

I think you’re right. Which is why I’ve been trying to find photos of this beast (early series Scottish boilered 47/0) 47006 - Just add ploughs, a wee doggie, change one digit and away you go. ;)

Edit - obviously not NB in 1987…

View attachment 102010

Good work. That looks excellent.

One trip to Ipswich and £275 later. Oops.

Meant to get the DB Regio Doppelstock pack bit those VTG tanks will look great behind the BR 152 I have.

Those look very nice @TheEdge. Have you still got a blog about your railway?

Small toyfair held locally, got this for £25. A nice runner. Triang B12 as preserved 61572. Also got a nice GWR centenary coach for a tenner

That B12 is perfect for your part of the world isn’t it? How does it run?

This is my latest acquisition, ViTrains Regional Railways liveried 37414.

Those Vitrains 37s are good models. Great livery too.

Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member
Recently I acquired 2 highly detailed ScaleTrains "Rivet Counter" ET44AC's, both were $254.99, including international shipping (3 - 5 days) which was $96.48, I'm considering getting another one of these at some point in the near future, I already have another one on pre-order which I'm expecting to recieve at some point next year.

I've not had the chance to get them running yet because my layout is still heavily work in progress, and until that's done I won't be running them anytime soon.

Both models are equipped with DCC & Sound.
View attachment 102007
Welcome to our little model railway chat forum! What scale are your locso?

pieguyrob

This cane for me today. I don't model era or location, I prefer liveries.

Attachments

• 20210901_105155.jpg
    20210901_105155.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 20

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

They always looked good in RR colours didn’t they? I thought the 31s did as well actually.

reddragon

Established Member
Do you have favourite liveries? I find some loco / livery mixes work very well. Like original 2 tone green class 14 or maroon class 52. Some locos never lasted long enough to be relieved of drab colours, unlike the dull class 73 which made it!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
@hexagon789 - Yes I think it was 1987. Surprisingly late on really.
I think the ScR was the last to employ steam heat on BR as well?

Rule 1 - it's my model railway, I'll run what I want!
I've got a Class 91 and 423 on my layout, without a bit of OHLE or 3rd rail in sight ;)
Oh that will be employed - my modelling licence will be renewed rest assured but my use of Rule 1 will always be more limited than others, its just the way I prefer it. (The furthest I'll go is extending the Deltics lives a few years and having slightly unprototypical steam railtours.)

But I need ETH to heat my model passengers in the harsh Scottish winters and keep cool the many cans of Tennent's littering the tables in the summer months... 8-)

One of my favourites as well. I did originally consider modelling the early 1990s as then I could have 156s, 158s, potentially 91s etc but then I fell in love more with the early 1980s as a period so I'm now firmly on the early 80s-mid 80s as the prime setting (really I model basically any year within 1980-89 but my stock is representative mainly of 1981/2 and 1986/7 specifically. Extension to 1989 is so I don't need to part with my sole 156 Sprinter, which is still in the shops for a repaint ;))

Peter C

Established Member
Oh that will be employed - my modelling licence will be renewed rest assured but my use of Rule 1 will always be more limited than others, its just the way I prefer it. (The furthest I'll go is extending the Deltics lives a few years and having slightly unprototypical steam railtours.)
Excellent :)
And the best bit about model railways is that you can do that - want to extend the lives of some locos a few years? Go ahead. Want to model a fictional extension to a real line? Brilliant! Anything's possible (with plenty of money of course ;)).

-Peter

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Here's my indulgences of the last couple of weeks:
  • A Lima HST dummy car in Executive colours. I have a power car in Swallow that's currently in storage in my brother's basement along with a few trailers, but I like the idea of having a mixed Swallow/Executive set.
  • A plastic Wills kit of a brick bus shelter, which may yet end up being placed on a platform rather than a roadside.
  • Three mk3 Transit vans to place around the layout once it's built.

Attachments

• 20210901_170513.jpg
    20210901_170513.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12

Peter C

Established Member
Here's my indulgences of the last couple of weeks:
  • A Lima HST dummy car in Executive colours. I have a power car in Swallow that's currently in storage in my brother's basement along with a few trailers, but I like the idea of having a mixed Swallow/Executive set.
  • A plastic Wills kit of a brick bus shelter, which may yet end up being placed on a platform rather than a roadside.
  • Three mk3 Transit vans to place around the layout once it's built.
I like the look of that power car! Those vans are nice too - found myself doing some looking into OO gauge vehicles yesterday and it's surprising how cheap they are in comparison to other aspects of building a layout.

-Peter

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I like the look of that power car! Those vans are nice too - found myself doing some looking into OO gauge vehicles yesterday and it's surprising how cheap they are in comparison to other aspects of building a layout.

-Peter
The 43 needs a fair bit of work, it's missing the cab interior, the bodyshell screws, and has a few scrapes and scratches that need attention.
It's worth shopping around for the vehicles, you can find the same vehicles for quite widely disparate prices. AIUI the Oxford vehicles are compatible with that Magnetic system which would allow movement, but that's not a route I'm likely to go down anytime soon!

Peter C

Established Member
The 43 needs a fair bit of work, it's missing the cab interior, the bodyshell screws, and has a few scrapes and scratches that need attention.
Ah OK. But I suppose by having to do a bit of work on it, it'll make it feel more like your own? That's certainly been the case with my own models where they've needed fixing.

It's worth shopping around for the vehicles, you can find the same vehicles for quite widely disparate prices. AIUI the Oxford vehicles are compatible with that Magnetic system which would allow movement, but that's not a route I'm likely to go down anytime soon!
Definitely. I was looking on Hattons' website and there were loads of vehicles for ~£4/£5 - not bad if you'd like lots of them! I received a few vehicles from the Pocketbond range (I think) at Christmas and they're super.
That magnetic system is amazing - but rather time-consuming from what I've heard! Another problem is the paint used for the roads; because the cars always use the same path, they wear down any paint much quicker than they otherwise might.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

The nice thing about them is that they’re chunky enough that you can add extra detail without breaking what’s on there already. :)
I did have a Lima HST on my old railway, I thought it captured the looks of them very well, although it was a little short on power.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Excellent :)
And the best bit about model railways is that you can do that - want to extend the lives of some locos a few years? Go ahead. Want to model a fictional extension to a real line? Brilliant! Anything's possible (with plenty of money of course ;)).

-Peter
Indeed, I'm sure there will be the odd "impulse" buy of something that just looks too good to resist.

I mean I do absolutely love Baccy's Blue Pullmans but they are hopelessly out of period, out of area and out of "sensible" budget?

I may plump for a 50 at some point, they did go about a bit on railtours in the 1980s/1990s.

I did have a Lima HST on my old railway, I thought it captured the looks of them very well, although it was a little short on power.
I have a GNER Lima one with working headlights on the motored PC, but it really doesn't pull the skin off the thinnest rice puddings even with its traction tyres.

Given I'm likely to be converting it to Blue/Grey to suit, I'm strongly thinking of re-motoring it at the same time. It wasn't dear when it was bought for me (must be a good 15 years or more now), and while it holds some nostalgic value as is it would only be mostly cosmetic adjustments so I don't feel I'd be losing the essence of the nostalgia. The low cost also means I'm not so worried about mucking up its "refurb" while I'm trying things out.

Peter C

Established Member
Indeed, I'm sure there will be the odd "impulse" buy of something that just looks too good to resist.

I mean I do absolutely love Baccy's Blue Pullmans but they are hopelessly out of period, out of area and out of "sensible" budget?

I may plump for a 50 at some point, they did go about a bit on railtours in the 1980s/1990s.
Their Blue Pullman does look really lovely - especially with lights and sound. A main problem is, as you say, the budget!
Hornby's 50s are superb (well, 50002 was ;)). A bit problematic at times, especially if you get one from the first batch with the spinning roof fan, but apart from that, they're lovely.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member

I have a GNER Lima one with working headlights on the motored PC, but it really doesn't pull the skin off the thinnest rice puddings even with its traction tyres.

Given I'm likely to be converting it to Blue/Grey to suit, I'm strongly thinking of re-motoring it at the same time. It wasn't dear when it was bought for me (must be a good 15 years or more now), and while it holds some nostalgic value as is it would only be mostly cosmetic adjustments so I don't feel I'd be losing the essence of the nostalgia. The low cost also means I'm not so worried about mucking up its "refurb" while I'm trying things out.
I have a twin motor Lima HST set plus 7 Mk3s on DCC with LED lights and a tad extra weight so it runs fine at a scale 138 mph. It always seems slow but realistically isn't.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The nice thing about them is that they’re chunky enough that you can add extra detail without breaking what’s on there already. :)
I switched to a Lima HST many years ago, trading in my old Hornby set which still had the short coaches and the guard's windows. The Lima one ran far better than the Hornby one, though with the classic Lima whine from the motor. Never did get a dummy car to go with it until this week, and I'll need to chip both power cars as well as replacing the cab and lighting unit on the dummy, but it'll be a fun project hopefully.

A HST will be a bit out of place on a branch line terminus, but if Newquay can have one then so can my fictional location!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I switched to a Lima HST many years ago, trading in my old Hornby set which still had the short coaches and the guard's windows. The Lima one ran far better than the Hornby one, though with the classic Lima whine from the motor. Never did get a dummy car to go with it until this week, and I'll need to chip both power cars as well as replacing the cab and lighting unit on the dummy, but it'll be a fun project hopefully.

A HST will be a bit out of place on a branch line terminus, but if Newquay can have one then so can my fictional location!

Absolutely!

TheEdge

Established Member
Those look very nice @TheEdge. Have you still got a blog about your railway?

Sadly not, many a personal life thing happened and among other things that layout ended up disposed of. So I'm just collecting rolling stock at the moment for a future layout.

On that point.

The Doppelstock cab car had a manufacturer fault so I had to pop back to Scograil who were happy to sort it with a replacement. But then I was there without adult supervision so I ended up returning with a beer branded grain hopper and a flat with some bulk cargo containers.

Attachments

• 16305762148817119849189642317797.jpg
    16305762148817119849189642317797.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13

Peter C

Established Member
Sadly not, many a personal life thing happened and among other things that layout ended up disposed of. So I'm just collecting rolling stock at the moment for a future layout.

On that point.

The Doppelstock cab car had a manufacturer fault so I had to pop back to Scograil who were happy to sort it with a replacement. But then I was there without adult supervision so I ended up returning with a beer branded grain hopper and a flat with some bulk cargo containers.
There are worse things to buy I suppose... :lol:

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member

On that point.

I've bought from Scograil, online of course!!

I have a self imposed buying ban due to having 21 items on order, many due soon!