• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

Iskra

Established Member
Yes it’s the Train-Tech ones Peter. I’ve already done my BG and that’s got a tail lamp as well, plus this arrived today so one set of lights will be for that:

View attachment 104723

(That’s Tammy Wynette standing by my mk1)
I’ve bought these as it the cheapest way of getting blue and grey N gauge mk1s at the moment plus they’re ready weathered:

View attachment 104725

That’s the second set of those I’ve bought. I’ll have to tone the roofs down with the airbrush and remove the ADB 97xxxx numbers (this is from a set of departmental test train coaches). But the ones I have already look the part.
I actually like the roof weathering on those! Although it doesn’t quite match the rest of the carriage so can see why you’re toning it down…

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

5WES Railways

My latest acquisition (as of last week) is this ScaleTrains HO Scale "Rivet Counter" ET44AC model, and yes, this is my 3rd one to be exact.

I've attached a photo of all 3 of my ST models together.

I'm quite thankful that I managed to get my hands on this specific model, since I don't think ScaleTrains will be doing another run of the Navajo Mining GEVOs anytime soon.

I paid £223.10 for it on eBay, the model is also DCC & Sound equipped which makes it my 4th DCC sound equipped model.
DSC_0427.JPG
DSC_0432.JPG

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My latest acquisition (as of last week) is this ScaleTrains HO Scale "Rivet Counter" ET44AC model, and yes, this is my 3rd one to be exact.

I'm quite thankful that I managed to get my hands on this specific model, since I don't think ScaleTrains will be doing another run of the Navajo Mining GEVOs anytime soon.

I paid £223.10 for it on eBay, the model is also DCC & Sound equipped which makes it my 4th DCC sound equipped model.
View attachment 105297
View attachment 105298

That’s really nice (they all are actually).
I love all the fine detail around the nose.

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 105297
View attachment 105298
Loving the liveries on those. Such a variety of designs! The detail is super too. I've been looking into a new engine for the layout recently and although some say sound is a novelty, it's definitely a novelty which delivers :lol:

On the subject of new acquisitions (funny given the thread title), this arrived the other day:
MDV.jpeg

It's one of Accurascale's MDV wagons, and part of the run by model railway YouTuber Jenny Kirk as a special commission (hence the "JK" logo on the side, which is supposed to be a graffiti tag). It's a lovely model - if not a bit pricey at £30 - and comes with sprung buffers and more detail than you could shake a 1:76 scale stick at. There are a couple of other special bits, those being the "Empty to Wear Yard" text on the ends of the wagon; Jenny Kirk's layout is called Wear Yard so it's a nice thing to put on there.
Apparently the number of the wagon is different to the others in the range so it's more of a special item but I only know that because I heard someone say it! It runs really well, as should be expected for a wagon made now, and is overall a cool addition to Oldmoor.

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
That does look a good wagon and I’m glad it comes with a lot of features. Wear Yard is a very passable name for a real railway yard so that aspect works well!

Peter C

Established Member
That does look a good wagon and I’m glad it comes with a lot of features. Wear Yard is a very passable name for a real railway yard so that aspect works well!
Definitely. Sounds like one of those massive marshalling yards British Transport Films would show-off with the Modernisation Plan...

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Loving the liveries on those. Such a variety of designs! The detail is super too. I've been looking into a new engine for the layout recently and although some say sound is a novelty, it's definitely a novelty which delivers :lol:

On the subject of new acquisitions (funny given the thread title), this arrived the other day:
View attachment 105363

It's one of Accurascale's MDV wagons, and part of the run by model railway YouTuber Jenny Kirk as a special commission (hence the "JK" logo on the side, which is supposed to be a graffiti tag). It's a lovely model - if not a bit pricey at £30 - and comes with sprung buffers and more detail than you could shake a 1:76 scale stick at. There are a couple of other special bits, those being the "Empty to Wear Yard" text on the ends of the wagon; Jenny Kirk's layout is called Wear Yard so it's a nice thing to put on there.
Apparently the number of the wagon is different to the others in the range so it's more of a special item but I only know that because I heard someone say it! It runs really well, as should be expected for a wagon made now, and is overall a cool addition to Oldmoor.

-Peter

That is nice. I’d love to set about it with a bit of weathering. ;)

Peter C

Established Member
That is nice. I’d love to set about it with a bit of weathering. ;)
I might have a go at weathering some of my other similar wagons one day (I've got a few others which look a bit like an MDV but I'm stumped when it comes to what they actually are) but I'll need to sort a few other things out first - like that layout as a whole :lol:

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Just picked up a brand new Hornby class 08 for 79 euros at a German model expo in Friedrichshaven.
Ooh that sounds nice - quite the deal too I expect! Is it one of the RailRoad ones or the more-realistic version?

-Peter

5WES Railways

View attachment 105363

-Peter
That wagon looks awesome! I've been thinking of getting some Accurascale wagons and stuff to run with my Hornby 66 (which I've yet to actually run)

I assume these JK wagons have sold out quite quickly already?

The ST models are definitely worth getting! Especially if you're into Continental and/or US locos! They definitely put a lot of effort into their models in the factory considering every little detail is put together by hand, and with the MTH tooling acquisition I'm expecting them to make some more interesting models and stuff in the next 2 - 3 years!
-
I'm still waiting for them to make their first steam locomotive... ;)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Here's the latest addition to my fleet- a Bachmann 03 just running in on the rolling road... note the guest appearance from Jasmine hiding under the desk (who is old enough to drive, if only she had opposable thumbs and could reach the pedals!).

Also recently purchased are several Hornby MGR hoppers- some of the newer tooling and some of the old, so I may have to pick a version and stick to it!

Attachments

• 20211111_154811.jpg
    20211111_154811.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Here's the latest addition to my fleet- a Bachmann 03 just running in on the rolling road... note the guest appearance from Jasmine hiding under the desk (who is old enough to drive, if only she had opposable thumbs and could reach the pedals!).

Also recently purchased are several Hornby MGR hoppers- some of the newer tooling and some of the old, so I may have to pick a version and stick to it!

I really like that.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I really like that.
Haven't chipped it yet, so I'm hoping the slow speed improves one I have... so far on DC on the rolling road it seems to spring into action like a startled squirrel at 30% power!

I'd told myself I wasn't going to buy anything else with a motor until I'd got started with the layout, but this is my reward for a successful Stoptober.

Edit: now chipped it, the bodyshell removal was a damn sight easier than Bachmann's 08, despite the instructions being pretty much identical (remove couplers, remove screws from underneath, lift the chassis out). My 08 is still awaiting its decoder, as I haven't managed to get the body off the damn thing yet!

The 03's slow speed also much improved on DCC. Can't wait to shunt my MGRs around now!

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
A couple of new acquisitions from me:

1) A Gresley Teak Sleeper. It's a new, but older Hornby Model. It looks better in the flesh than I was expecting, as it looks a little plastic-y on the websites. So I'm very happy with it really. It's not as good as the newest range of teaks, but they haven't released those in BR livery yet so this one will have to do. Hopefully I can pick up another one or two in the future to form a rake.

2) A Midland 1F Half Cab Tank. It was an inexpensive buy on ebay. It's DCC Fitted and had cab crew fitted. It was missing a couple of couplings which is why the price was low- I've replaced these and now I'm offering it for sale again back on Ebay. If it doesn't gain much interest I may weather it and try again. It's certainly an interesting locomotive and as old fashioned as they look this locomotive type survived into the mid-1960's. It's a very well manufactured locomotive from Bachmann, with a lot of character.

thumbnail_IMG_6490.jpg

fourtytwo

2) A Midland 1F Half Cab Tank. It was an inexpensive buy on ebay. It's DCC Fitted and had cab crew fitted. It was missing a couple of couplings which is why the price was low- I've replaced these and now I'm offering it for sale again back on Ebay. If it doesn't gain much interest I may weather it and try again. It's certainly an interesting locomotive and as old fashioned as they look this locomotive type survived into the mid-1960's. It's a very well manufactured locomotive from Bachmann, with a lot of character.
I don't know about weathering improving Ebay sales, in my case I avoid them like the plague! But also the period that loco represents doesn't seem to be particularly popular IMOP. But I do think people are unwilling to punt on things with missing couplings/broken buffers etc due to the difficulty and expense of obtaining spares or simply lack of confidence. As I am new to OO and hence building up stocks I have been (and still am) horrified at the cost of replacement wheels for wagons and coaches.

Iskra

Established Member
I don't know about weathering improving Ebay sales, in my case I avoid them like the plague! But also the period that loco represents doesn't seem to be particularly popular IMOP. But I do think people are unwilling to punt on things with missing couplings/broken buffers etc due to the difficulty and expense of obtaining spares or simply lack of confidence. As I am new to OO and hence building up stocks I have been (and still am) horrified at the cost of replacement wheels for wagons and coaches.
I've been doing it for a while, and the right combinations of DCC Fitting/Weathering/Adding Cab Crew on the right items can certainly add value- take a look how much retailers that offer these services charge. I disagree, I think Late steam is probably one of the most popular era's to model along with BR Blue and Post-Privatisation/Modern Image. I just think this could sell fine unweathered as tank engines are popular with new starters to the hobby. We will see though! I agree about missing couplings/buffers, it's also a concern because it just shows the model may not have been looked after and I'm always concerned what other issues I may come across with such models.

RichJF

Lima 31 from one of my local model shops about 20 miles away in ruralist East Sussex. Exceptional runner after a wheel clean. Loco cheap enough to trial some weathering with dry brush & acrylic paint that I use on my military model kits.

Before & after my very freelance weathering :D

FEEMOvNWQAEioIw.jpgFEFyRVmXEAAlCyd.jpg

Class142sbad

2 New acquisitions. Both Hornby railroad MK1's. 1 is a parcels brake and the other is a MK1 passenger carriage. Got them from the little Hornby shop in the Newcastle Fenwicks.
(Not very good camera quality I know)

Attachments

• IMG_20211115_171232.jpg
    IMG_20211115_171232.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211115_170957.jpg
    IMG_20211115_170957.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 10

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lima 31 from one of my local model shops about 20 miles away in ruralist East Sussex. Exceptional runner after a wheel clean. Loco cheap enough to trial some weathering with dry brush & acrylic paint that I use on my military model kits.

View attachment 105626View attachment 105627

Not bad at all. :) They were a good model back in the day.

2 New acquisitions. Both Hornby railroad MK1's. 1 is a parcels brake and the other is a MK1 passenger carriage. Got them from the little Hornby shop in the Newcastle Fenwicks.

Welcome to the forum. The Railroad mk1s look pretty good to me and they’re not too badly priced are they?

Class142sbad

Not bad at all. :) They were a good model back in the day.

Welcome to the forum. The Railroad mk1s look pretty good to me and they’re not too badly priced are they?
The Railroad ones do have some nice details on the sides of the carriages and also the underframe details. For about £23 there pretty good value in my opinion even without the metal wheels. So I would recommend them.

reddragon

Established Member

I have a Lima 31, surprisingly good runner as are most Lima diesels.

Welcome to our little chat on model trains

@Cowley Congrats on your forum promotion!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks @reddragon. :)
I’ll still be in this section a lot. Actually it’s N gauge Monday at my friends house tonight…

BRblue33

From that S/h model shop in the middle of nowhere that starts with C ?. Look's nice Lima 31's have better body detail then the Hornby model.