• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
From that S/h model shop in the middle of nowhere that starts with C ?. Look's nice Lima 31's have better body detail then the Hornby model.

I remember painting the inside of the cabs on mine because I didn’t like the way you could see the yellow through the windows.
What was great about the Lima range as well though was the sheer amount of liveries on offer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRblue33

I remember painting the inside of the cabs on mine because I didn’t like the way you could see the yellow through the windows.
What was great about the Lima range as well though was the sheer amount of liveries on offer.
They just need some detail work to be done on the body. The one's i have are now fitted with ultrascale wheeis . Plus CD motors

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They just need some detail work to be done on the body. The one's i have are now fitted with ultrascale wheeis . Plus CD motors

Nice. Did you do the CD motor conversion yourself?

RichJF

From that S/h model shop in the middle of nowhere that starts with C ?. Look's nice Lima 31's have better body detail then the Hornby model.
It is. In the town that begins with T.

I bought a Railroad 73 back in July (from another retailer) & ended up buying a Lima bodyshell for it as it was far far superior to the Hornby detail.

trainmania100

Established Member
I've Been buying wiring and signals mainly lately, I still run a DC layout with manual switches and signals but it's fun to run. In terms of stock, my most recent purchase was probably some yeoman wagons. I don't tend to buy newer stuff as it just doesn't run very well on my layout, bogie detailing ends up getting caught on the bodywork, wheels jump out of the flanges on junctions, I find the older, simpler locos better.

My favourite locos to run are my Triang Dock shunters.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've Been buying wiring and signals mainly lately, I still run a DC layout with manual switches and signals but it's fun to run. In terms of stock, my most recent purchase was probably some yeoman wagons. I don't tend to buy newer stuff as it just doesn't run very well on my layout, bogie detailing ends up getting caught on the bodywork, wheels jump out of the flanges on junctions, I find the older, simpler locos better.

My favourite locos to run are my Triang Dock shunters.

Any chance of a couple of photos Mr Mania?

trainmania100

Established Member
Any chance of a couple of photos Mr Mania?
Unfortunately I don't have pictures but you're welcome to browse my YouTube channel trainmania100. My layout is in a different residence to where I actually live.
My latest video

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Unfortunately I don't have pictures but you're welcome to browse my YouTube channel trainmania100. My layout is in a different residence to where I actually live.
My latest video

I love that!

reddragon

Established Member
Apparently printer motors are better! I have a 73 fitted with the printer motor set up below

BRblue33

It is. In the town that begins with T.

I bought a Railroad 73 back in July (from another retailer) & ended up buying a Lima bodyshell for it as it was far far superior to the Hornby detail.
I've done the same with one of my 73's. Hornby chassis Lima body. Then sold the Lima/hornby on ebay. I have replaced the glazing on the 73 with Lazerglase

BRblue33

Nice. Did you do the CD motor conversion yourself?
Yes it's easy to do. Take's about one hour . I got the CD motors from Finland they where only £4.00 each. There are two sizes. one for four or six wheel bogies. You need the slim one for the three wheel bogie.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes it's easy to do. Take's about one hour . I got the CD motors from Finland they where only £4.00 each. There are two sizes. one for two or three wheel bogies. You need the slim one for the three wheel bogie.

Brilliant. I take it the Hornby chassis is decent with proper pickups etc?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've done the same with one of my 73's. Hornby chassis Lima body. Then sold the Lima/hornby on ebay. I have replaced the glazing on the 73 with Lazerglase
While we're on Lima 73s, I've just listed a Gatwick Express example on Ebay that's been in storage for over 20 years. I've tested it and it powers but will need a service and oil, I'll not link here as I'm not sure that's within the forum rules!

Ted633

While we're on Lima 73s, I've just listed a Gatwick Express example on Ebay that's been in storage for over 20 years. I've tested it and it powers but will need a service and oil, I'll not link here as I'm not sure that's within the forum rules!
I'll keep an eye on that. I've got the exact same to sell at some point as it's been displaced by my Dapol example. Interested to see what it goes for.

BRblue33

I've got 3 Lima class 73's . Plus 1 Hornby. I got a Lima Gatwick ex one last year paid £15.00 for it . Horns and buffers missing. Now it's on the workbench in grey primer . Just got to spray it BR Blue sometime.

Brilliant. I take it the Hornby chassis is decent with proper pickups etc?
It's better with pickups on the rear bogie and new motor . But that's about all the chassis is the same

Iskra

Established Member
I've invested in one of these. I'm a big fan of the worn paint job, but the plan is to take it a step further with the roof, bogies and buffers once the airbrush arrives in the next couple of weeks. Quite excited about what this one will come out like. It's not very 'Fort George' but I just like the idea of this model, as you don't see many released like this and it's a fantastic blank canvas really. It's DCC fitted and from the ever-excellent Kernow :)

1637525582969.png

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah 47537. I had good few runs behind that back in the day. That’s quite the weathering job already isn’t it.

Peter C

Established Member
I've invested in one of these. I'm a big fan of the worn paint job, but the plan is to take it a step further with the roof, bogies and buffers once the airbrush arrives in the next couple of weeks. Quite excited about what this one will come out like. It's not very 'Fort George' but I just like the idea of this model, as you don't see many released like this and it's a fantastic blank canvas really. It's DCC fitted and from the ever-excellent Kernow :)

View attachment 105956
Now that looks very nice. I like how they've put some thought into it and not put the effects over the nameplate - makes it so much more realistic! :)
Can't wait to see what you do with the weathering.

-Peter

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

View attachment 105956
That looks fantastic... just needs 103 subtracted from the running number! ;)
I'm afraid I've been a bit naughty and bought myself another sound-fitted 20, though in my defence I got it for a good price and mostly funded it through a sale. This time it's a disc-fitted example in BR blue:

Attachments

• 20211122_111258.jpg
    20211122_111258.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 20211122_111249.jpg
    20211122_111249.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10

Iskra

Established Member
I'm afraid I've been a bit naughty and bought myself another sound-fitted 20, though in my defence I got it for a good price and mostly funded it through a sale. This time it's a disc-fitted example in BR blue:
That's a very nice looking model!

How useful do you find your rolling-road? I've been contemplating getting one for a while

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That's a very nice looking model!

How useful do you find your rolling-road? I've been contemplating getting one for a while
For as long as I don't have a layout, the rolling road is essential for running in- even when I get my layout up and running I'll still need it as I'm not building a circuit. The only issue I've had with it was that my L&Y 2-4-2 tank didn't seem to like it much.

It was a bit of a lucky find to be honest, I've no idea how much they cost new but probably a fair bit. You can also get smaller individual rollers that sit directly onto tracks.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Have you managed to get them running as a pair yet? That’ll be amazing!

Peter C

Established Member
That does look very nice. I expect the sound's quite nice? (Having said that, I'm hardly a diesel expert having once gotten a Class 20 and Class 40 mixed up... :lol:)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That does look very nice. I expect the sound's quite nice? (Having said that, I'm hardly a diesel expert having once gotten a Class 20 and Class 40 mixed up... :lol:)

-Peter

Don’t you EVER get those mixed up again! ;)