• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When a Zones 1-9 Travelcard isn't a Zones 1-9 Travelcard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
As others have suggested, I'd recommend asking specifically for a ticket from Amersham in the future, or alternatively buying from a London Underground ticket machine.
Interestingly, I've used a Z1-9 travelcard today which I bought from a TfL Rail ticket machine last night. It was simply on the screen as Z1-9 travelcard but what printed was indeed an Amersham-Zones 1-6 AAA Z7-9. And it didn't work on the barriers anywhere, even in zones 1-6 which got very annoying very quickly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Trying online for Brentwood to 0035 (e.g tickets.tpexpress.co.uk) also works. This can then be delivered by ToD.

hkstudent

Established Member
Not quite. They are both in zone 8. There are/were different problems at each station. Swanley can issue travelcards with "AAA Z7-9" but the original Swanley to zones 1-6 seasons was more expensive than the zone 1-8 equivalents - it seems to have finally disappeared from the database.

Dartford has "not valid on hs1" and "plus hs1" versions of every ticket because it is acceptable to travel via Gravesend to access HS1. That is why it cannot be used as the origin for a z1-9 travelcard because they require a different usage of the route field.
Till today,
Swanley - London Zone 1-6 AAA 7-9 is £15.40, still expensive than the (Most Zone 9 stations) - London Zone 1-6 AAA 7-9 equivalent (£14.70).

And, it is strange that when buying from Chiltern's zone 7-9 station to Southeastern zone 8 stations or LO / EZL Zone 7-9 stations, no Zone 1-6 AAA 7-9 travelcard is offered.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Swanley - London Zone 1-6 AAA 7-9 is £15.40, still expensive than the (Most Zone 9 stations) - London Zone 1-6 AAA 7-9 equivalent (£14.70).
As far as I can see, Swanley is outside of the zones so would not be the same price as an in-boundary Travelcard.

Edit: Inaccurate nonsense!

Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Till today,

And, it is strange that when buying from Chiltern's zone 7-9 station to Southeastern zone 8 stations or LO / EZL Zone 7-9 stations, no Zone 1-6 AAA 7-9 travelcard is offered.
Good spot. I'd only noticed that there was no option without AAA 7-9. Surely that must be a mistake?

Travelcards will only be offered if the destination is within zones 1-6.

sonic2009

Established Member
How do these print out?

I've just bought one with Trip.Com who currently are offering £5 free credit on the app, so got the travelcard for £4.70.

Got the Brentwood - London Zone 1-9 option.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
How do these print out?

I've just bought one with Trip.Com who currently are offering £5 free credit on the app, so got the travelcard for £4.70.

Got the Brentwood - London Zone 1-9 option.
Printed Brentwood to Zone 1-6 AAA 7-9.

Status
Not open for further replies.