• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When Will It All Go Wrong For The Tories/ Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanstallon

They pretty much always find a way to pull together in the end though because they crave being in power.
Labour on the other hand just seem to crave being right.
Yes, it will all die down in time. By 2024, the British sheep will have forgotten, and the Tory press will be doing its stuff telling them that the alternative to the Tories is communism. I still feel angry, though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kez

They pretty much always find a way to pull together in the end though because they crave being in power.

Well, it has certainly always been 'Party First' for the Tories ... I just didn't realise they took it so literally. :|

DelayRepay

Established Member
Yes, it will all die down in time. By 2024, the British sheep will have forgotten, and the Tory press will be doing its stuff telling them that the alternative to the Tories is communism. I still feel angry, though.

I am not so sure. I think in 2024, Labour might be able to win back some of their red wall seats. Perhaps some of the Tory voters in 2019 lent their votes to the Tories to 'get Brexit done'. It is done now. Perhaps some did not like the prospect of a Corbyn led coalition with the SNP. Perhaps, in 2024, some will look at what has happened, look at their rapidly decreasing bank balance, their increased cost of living, their friends and neighbours stuck in NHS backlog waiting lists, and think maybe this country deserves a different future.

I don't think Corbyn actually wanted to win in 2019. Far easier to spend another five years in opposition, where you never have to make a difficult decision, or negotiate, or compromise about anything. Especially with the Brexit situation, as was at the time. In 2024, whoever is leading Labour has a realistic chance, I think, especially if they are willing to enter into an official or unofficial pact with the Lib Dems and Greens.

nlogax

Established Member

There are plenty of people who still believe this current pantomime will ensure Boris Johnson's departure from Downing St before the 2024 GE. Unfortunately they're all wrong. The worry is this has truly overturned a long tradition of resigning as the 'right thing to do' when those in power have badly messed up. Consequences for actions appear to have gone out of the window.

dgl

Established Member
Though if Johnson got removed by his party that might bring some morals back, or at least make resigning seem like the better option.

Kez

The worry is this has truly overturned a long tradition of resigning as the 'right thing to do' when those in power have badly messed up. Consequences for actions appear to have gone out of the window.

.... ironically from the party that is always happy to preach on about everyone taking responsibility for their actions. Clearly another rule that applies to us and not to them.

I did wonder when Johnson said at PMQs that he took 'full responsibility' what he thought that actually meant ; because it appears to me that it meant nothing at all.

Typhoon

Established Member
The reputation hasn’t been helped by the bashing of Douglas Ross, the leader of the Scottish Conservatives over his calls for Boris Johnson to resign.
For Rees Mogg then to claim that the Secretary of State for Scotland is a big figure diminished his argument further. When I checked, I found it was no longer Mundell. I know I live at the other end of the country but to me, the new Secretary of State, his Welsh equivalent (again I thought it was still Cairns) and the suit they rolled out to defend the parties during the week are nobodies. I might ask what they actually do, besides chant about hospitals, police, schools and the like. Ross may be a light-weight in Rees Mogg's eyes but I have heard of him - he appears better than Carlaw; and Davidson, as you say, is worth listening to. Its a shame she's gone to the Lords.

Rees Mogg's difficulty, as is true of several members of this cabinet, is that they will struggle to get a place in anyone else's cabinet - in many cases because their incompetence appears to know no bounds. Although why Rees Mogg wants a job with little power or influence that merely requires him to be in The House a lot I have no idea.

Kez

Although why Rees Mogg wants a job with little power or influence that merely requires him to be in The House a lot I have no idea.

Since his life seems to have been devoted to cultivating an image of Victorian foppery, he does need a catwalk to parade on.

Typhoon

Established Member
Since his life seems to have been devoted to cultivating an image of Victorian foppery, he does need a catwalk to parade on.
In a way he has lost that because he could be as outspoken as he liked when he was No. 1 in the ERG.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Wanted: Moral compass for Downing Street

BBC: Downing Street apologises to Queen over lockdown parties

Downing Street has apologised to Buckingham Palace for two staff parties in No 10 the night before Prince Philip's funeral.

The gatherings, first reported by The Telegraph, took place on 16 April 2021 and went on until the early hours.

The PM's spokesman said it was "deeply regrettable that this took place at a time of national mourning".

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
For Rees Mogg then to claim that the Secretary of State for Scotland is a big figure diminished his argument further. When I checked, I found it was no longer Mundell. I know I live at the other end of the country but to me, the new Secretary of State, his Welsh equivalent (again I thought it was still Cairns) and the suit they rolled out to defend the parties during the week are nobodies. I might ask what they actually do, besides chant about hospitals, police, schools and the like. Ross may be a light-weight in Rees Mogg's eyes but I have heard of him - he appears better than Carlaw; and Davidson, as you say, is worth listening to. Its a shame she's gone to the Lords.
I'm no fan of Douglas Ross; he's my MP and I don't agree with his voting record, but he seems to be a making a reasonably good job of being a constituency MP and let's not forget that he resigned from his junior government post over the Dominic Cummings affair.

I think Rees-Mogg's problem with him is that he simply didn't go to the right school.

I'll be interested to see if Ross will put his name forward for any upcoming leadership contest.

MattRat

On Moderation
Labour on the other hand just seem to crave being right.
That's the 'optimistic' way of looking at it. I just see it as a contest to see who can be most unelectable, and I'm just waiting to see what happens on Labour's turn....

johncrossley

Established Member
Johnson can do anything and still win. The only thing I can think of is if he does something that means he has to go to prison. And even then I'm not 100% sure.

TwoYellas

Thought of a twist to Beastie Boys 'Fight For Your Right'. ;)

The journos caught us drinking and I said "No Way!"

Those hypocrites drink two flasks a day!

Being a PM is the cross I gotta bear...

"Get out of No 10 if you don't cut that hair"!

You gotta fight for your right to Parrrrrttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Partttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Can't pre-empt Gray's
Inquirrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Last edited:

dgl

Established Member
Have I Got News For You had a good thing on twitter,

Credit where credits due, it turns out the government can organise a p**s up!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think Rees-Mogg's problem with him is that he simply didn't go to the right school.
It's worse than that! He went to the wrong school and has the wrong accent! Totally unsuitable for a serious role!

:rolleyes:

brad465

Established Member
It's worse than that! He went to the wrong school and has the wrong accent! Totally unsuitable for a serious role!

:rolleyes:
This is one reason why he was ordered to keep quiet in the last general election campaign, along with his crass comments about Grenfell victims.

MattRat

On Moderation
I'd fop him one if I had a chance!
I'd think it be more fun watching the Queen walk into Parliament, turn to all of them, and then just say "You're fired" like Alan Sugar. It wouldn't hurt them physically, but would damage them so severely mentally (mostly due to their fragile egos) that they'd likely never recover.

nanstallon

Where is Oliver Cromwell when we need him? "Stand not upon the manner of your departure, just go!", or words to that effect.

The Ham

Established Member
would a brewery have enough booze to cater for a no 10 party :D

Maybe one which occurred during a time when everyone was limiting their social interactions. Now? I'm not so sure!

brad465

Established Member
YouGov have reported Johnson as now having a -52 approval rating, which is now almost as low as Corbyn's lowest rating of -55 in mid-2019, and more unpopular than May was at any given time she was PM:

Boris Johnson is now more unpopular among the British public than Theresa May was at any point during her time as prime minister. May reached a low of -49 points on 14-15 May 2019

1642191842128.png

johnnychips

Established Member
The trouble with YouGov polls is that I am not sure if they use a sound sampling method. Perhaps they do, perhaps they don’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.