• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When Will It All Go Wrong For The Tories/ Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRat

On Moderation
I don't like the media angle on this either as much as I dislike Johnson. In some ways I dislike Sunak more though. I say this as a Labour party member. We will see how things play out, I can easily see Johnson riding things out for at least another 6-12 months and I'm not convinced the local elections will be as catastrophic as they were for May in 2019 when the Tories lost 1000+ seats.
It does remind me of Cameron and Osborne all over again. Cameron wasn't what you'd call good, but I'm really glad Osborne didn't take his place, as much as I loved seeing the back of Cameron.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Ham

Established Member
I don't like the media angle on this either as much as I dislike Johnson. In some ways I dislike Sunak more though. I say this as a Labour party member. We will see how things play out, I can easily see Johnson riding things out for at least another 6-12 months and I'm not convinced the local elections will be as catastrophic as they were for May in 2019 when the Tories lost 1000+ seats.

I wouldn't be so sure, in the last general election in the local seat (true blue) there was a significant swing towards the Lib Dems (not enough to reduce the vote share to much below 60%, but quite a shift as previously the vote share was over 75%).

In the last local (District) elections an independent for more votes than both the Tory Councillors (effectively unseating one).

Both of which were at a time when the Tories were riding high with Johnson in charge and not when there were memes with images of "office supplies" over the alcohol in a shop or a "I'm not a robot" grid overlaid on the Downing Street garden image with the caption saying "click on all images which show that it's a party".

Whilst I don't doubt that there were many who were breaching rules, the vast majority of whom doing so would have be small scale stretching of the limits (for instance 8 people during the rule of six, meeting 2 people rather than one, etc) and not inviting 100 people to an event.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Are we all thankful that Domenic Cummins, like George Washington, never told a lie and that we can all accept what he says as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth... :D
Little to choose between them as far as I'm concerned. Neither is fit to hold public office.

nlogax

Established Member
Sue Gray has reportedly been in contact with the two No. 10 officials who advised Johnson and his private secretary not to go ahead with the May 2020 party. As a result her report will be slightly delayed.

Practically and in of itself her report will be toothless but increasingly it appears the fallout could be historic. Bated breath etc.

MattRat

On Moderation
Sue Gray has reportedly been in contact with the two No. 10 officials who advised Johnson and his private secretary not to go ahead with the May 2020 party. As a result her report will be slightly delayed.

Practically and in of itself her report will be toothless but increasingly it appears the fallout could be historic. Bated breath etc.
Either toothless or pin all blame of Johnson, neither of which will really change much. Oh look, we've traded one incompetent politician for another. Wow, much progress.

nlogax

Established Member
Either toothless or pin all blame of Johnson, neither of which will really change much. Oh look, we've traded one incompetent politician for another. Wow, much progress.

I'm of the opinion that he'll try to sway most of the upcoming punches based on the 'unknowingly lied' route and try to stay in post, but these two No 10. contacts could significantly change that tactic.

Of course there are precious few current and eager Conservative politicians with the required braincells to make for a decent PM. The other thread with the poll is pretty effective in demonstrating that.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well he's nailing his colours to the mast and doubling down...

Boris Johnson has "categorically" denied he was warned a drinks party in the No 10 garden risked breaking lockdown rules.

"Nobody warned me that it was against the rules," the prime minister said, adding: "I would have remembered that."

Former aide Dominic Cummings says he warned Mr Johnson at the time, and has accused him of misleading MPs about it.

Asked if he would resign if he was found to have misled MPs, Mr Johnson said: "Let's see what the report says."

Senior civil servant Sue Gray is due to publish a report into alleged Covid rule breaking at lockdown get-togethers in Downing Street and government departments.

gg1

Established Member

Gloster

Established Member
Are we all thankful that Domenic Cummins, like George Washington, never told a lie and that we can all accept what he says as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth... :D
I do not regard Dominic Cummings as a truthful person, but that does not mean that everything he says is automatically a lie. My opinion is that he is both sufficiently astute and sufficiently vindictive that he is being careful to make sure that what he says has no weaknesses. If he knows enough true and damaging facts, why risk it all falling flat by adding something that might be proven untrue and so wreck his whole revenge campaign.

Last edited:

MattRat

On Moderation
So his defence is "I'm incapable of understanding the rules I both approved and instructed the country to follow and am reliant on others to tell me if I might be breaking them"
And yes he's also somehow capable enough to run the country......

Howardh

Established Member
Why didn't Johnson do like the rest of us did, sit in and watch the Prime Minister at the podium in 10 Downing St carefully explaining all the covid rules and laws to us all?

gg1

Established Member
There's a brilliant comment on the BBC article :lol: :

"Boris sometimes seems affronted when criticised for what amounts to a gross failure of responsibility. I think he honestly believes that it is churlish of us not to regard him as an exception, one who should be free of the network of obligation which binds everyone else."

Is that a quote from last week? From 2016? No, it is from 1982, by a teacher at Eton.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
And yes he's also somehow capable enough to run the country......
He seems to have some UK supporters over his relaxation of restrictions compared to what France is currently putting in motion.

Would it be true to say that the attendees at those gatherings were far more likely to be infected, vaccinated or not, than anyone exterior to the building in question, as may be the case?

TheEdge

Established Member
So his defence is "I'm incapable of understanding the rules I both approved and instructed the country to follow and am reliant on others to tell me if I might be breaking them"

I don't if I should laugh, cry or scream at this point. The rest of us understood the rules.

Strathclyder

Established Member
There's a brilliant comment on the BBC article :lol: :

"Boris sometimes seems affronted when criticised for what amounts to a gross failure of responsibility. I think he honestly believes that it is churlish of us not to regard him as an exception, one who should be free of the network of obligation which binds everyone else."
Nail on head. Perhaps the most concise synopsis of Boris, nay the Tories as a collective I've seen as of late.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just to keep everything clear to all concerned, what exactly were the stated legal strictures that covered the offence of the type of social gatherings that form the subject of this particular thread at the time in question and can someone give an example of a case in Law that was brought against a member of the general public during that time for contravening the ruling.

TheEdge

Established Member
Just to keep everything clear to all concerned, what exactly were the stated legal strictures that covered the offence of the type of social gatherings that form the subject of this particular thread at the time in question and can someone give an example of a case in Law that was brought against a member of the general public during that time for contravening the ruling.

Well, the Coronavirus Act 2020 and a quick Google will bring up literally hundreds of enforcements, National Police Chiefs Council shows 807 fixed penalty notices handed out during the week of the Garden Work Party Event.

MattRat

On Moderation
Well, the Coronavirus Act 2020 and a quick Google will bring up literally hundreds of enforcements, National Police Chiefs Council shows 807 fixed penalty notices handed out during the week of the Garden Work Party Event.
Well, legally it's a historic incident, plus as far as I'm aware there are exemptions for government property, someone correct me if I'm wrong. However, that does then look like one rule for them, another for us, and it becomes a political nightmare.

On Moderation
Who do you reckon is more likely to be telling the truth: Cummings or Johnson? With the PM it’s a case of “mouth moving, lie happening”. Cummings statements are far more credible from an initial view: you can absolutely imagine Johnson reacting as Cummings has said.

Status
Not open for further replies.