• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where am I? (Roads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I've been thinking posting this quiz for a while now, so I thought I'd give it a go.

One person will post a picture of somewhere on the British road network (no minor roads for now to keep things simple), and you have to deduce where it is (whether it be from streetview or other source), whether it be a numbered road, roundabout, interchange etc. For now please only locations in England, Wales and Scotland; other areas may be included at a later date. If you guess correctly, then it is your turn to post a picture, unless open floor is declared.

Here is an easy one to get started, I would like the road number please.

Attachments

• WAI_1.png
    WAI_1.png
    531.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Correct, it is the A38(M), with the giveaway being the fact it only has one carriageway.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As RRV Pilot says he was on his phone and has not posted a new picture, I would see the situation as open floor.

Liam

Established Member
I'll take that floor:

Road number and nearest town/city please.

Attachments

• WAI7.jpg
    WAI7.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 59

Ivo

Established Member
The M90, looking towards the Forth bridge? (Not sure what the nearest town/city would be, but the location is pretty precise.)

Zoe

Established Member
The M90, looking towards the Forth bridge? (Not sure what the nearest town/city would be, but the location is pretty precise.)
No hard shoulders in the photo.

Zoe

Established Member
Looks like the A90 approaching Dundee from the north.

Zoe

Established Member
"No offence" this is in a cutting...!

And yes...
That may well be so but what examples are there on motorways without hard shoulders in rural areas? I don't think the A74(M) over Beattock lacks hard shoulders does it? In the photo even though it is in a cutting there's no good reason not to build hard shoulders if it's a motorway.

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
M42 north of the M6, "No Hard Shoulder for 27 Miles"

Most of the M90
CBRD said:
The M90 is only just a motorway. It has some ridiculously sharp corners (including what is reputedly the tightest curve on the motorway network), and large parts of it lack hard shoulders, instead just having frequent lay-bys. This can, of course, be excused given the challenging geography.

Ivo

Established Member
That may well be so but what examples are there on motorways without hard shoulders in rural areas? I don't think the A74(M) over Beattock lacks hard shoulders does it? In the photo even though it is in a cutting there's no good reason not to build hard shoulders if it's a motorway.

Would this (hence my answer) do?

Looking at the central reservation, it also looks like there's been an accident :|

Zoe

Established Member
I'm surprised there isn't a minimum standard for motorways that requires hard shoulders. Certainly over in the US I am told that interstates do require a certain standard to be classified that way. One American I was talking to was actually surprised that there are even grade sepratated dual carriageways here that don't have hard shoulders. In the future though with Active Traffic Management the preferred option to reduce congestion it's likely that we will see more hard shoulder running.

Nym

Established Member
Dsc00007_jpg.jpg

Don't look at the URL...

Ivo

Established Member
There appear to be directional arrows in the roads, even though the lanes are segregated by the diagonal markings anyway, and also a tell-tale "No Hard Shoulders" sign. That suggests a motorway class single carriageway, which there are literally a couple of.

Considering (a) your location and (b) the links you gave a few minutes ago, the obvious choice would be the A6144(M).

Also, what is meant by "stop being mean"? :( I'm not mean :|

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I know where that is but I shall let the others have a guess.

EDIT: Ivo has worked it out.

Nym

Established Member
There appear to be directional arrows in the roads, even though the lanes are segregated by the diagonal markings anyway, and also a tell-tale "No Hard Shoulders" sign. That suggests a motorway class single carriageway, which there are literally a couple of.

Considering (a) your location and (b) the links you gave a few minutes ago, the obvious choice would be the A6144(M).

Also, what is meant by "stop being mean"? :( I'm not mean :|

Correct, the now deceased A6144M, now the A6144...

Fun junction at the end of this, 3 directions all the A6144... also now two A6144 junctions onto the M60 :)

Zoe

Established Member
I did say that you could post photos in the "Guess the road" quiz but it would seem people would prefer a separate photos only quiz then and the other quiz should be changed to text descriptions of roads only?

Status
Not open for further replies.