• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where am I?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Watch out! "Where am I?" from the Quiz Olympiad will return soon - hope you're looking forward to it. ;)

After a trial run in the Quiz Olympiad earlier this year, "Where am I?" makes a return to the forum.

For those who have not seen the game yet or simply forgotten, here is a quick round-up of the game:

The Aim:
To guess the train station featured on a small map extract.

Rules/Game-play:
(The game essentially runs like Guess the station in style). If you guess correctly then it is your turn to post a map or you can call open floor, allowing other members to contribute.

It is upto you what map you choose to use, though the most acceptable ones would include an OS extract, google satellite view or bird's eye view, but not a terrain map etc. To do this you can use various websites including:An ideal extract would be a size of around 200px like the example below (or larger for satellite images)
demo_sat_zpsa774085b.png

attachment.php

• Maps are in UK only
  • Maps can feature NR, preserved or metro/LUL stations
  • If more than one station can be seen on an extract, please indicate when posting which is to be guessed
  • You are allowed to block out place names from extracts (providing it is subtle) and rotate images but no other form of doctoring is allowed)

An easy one to start things off:

Attachments

• 001.png
    001.png
    83 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A tricky one - it's about as small as you get them before they get unrecognisable!

Is it Denton?

clagmonster

Established Member
I'm sruggling to even pick out the railway, let alone positively identify the station. If the station is where I think it is on the image, it has a decent sized car park, and is close to a motorway/dual carriageway junction. There are some fields, so not the most built up area. I shall have a little punt at Whittlesford.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Aha!

In which case try this. I've removed a couple of place names and a road number, but I think there are plenty of clues still...

Attachments

• tpg.jpg
    tpg.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 251

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It is indeed Ash Vale.

I'm treating road numbers as identifiable to a particular place so I feel it reasonable to redact them - we'll see what Class172 says.

That's an open floor then, people.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
You only kept us waiting three months Class172 :lol:

That would be Spooner Row. My first guess would have been Acle, but my map suggested it didn't work.

Ivo

Established Member
Starcross, looks like the sea or a lake on the right of the station

The choice of station is wrong, but you did well with both the observation and in choosing the south-western quarter of the UK.

Hints:

(1) The water feature is bigger than it looks - the amount shown is very limited because the OS map has text in the way almost right to the shore!
(2) It is somewhere south-west of a line running from Aberystwyth to Southampton.

gnolife

Established Member
I'm hoping that this isn't too obvious.

Attachments

• A station somewhere between Thurso and Penzance.jpg
    A station somewhere between Thurso and Penzance.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 175

Karl

On Moderation
I'm hoping that this isn't too obvious.

It might not be too obvious to most, but when my street appears in the middle of this map, it's blatantly obvious to me!! :)

Check my location for the answer ;)

(open floor for anyone who can post a map)

gnolife

Established Member
It might not be too obvious to most, but when my street appears in the middle of this map, it's blatantly obvious to me!! :)

Check my location for the answer ;)

(open floor for anyone who can post a map)

Oh.

Well, what can I say really :lol: