• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where is the North-South divide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw1

Established Member
What do you do about the midlands?

I see the North-Midlands divide as following the Cheshire-Staffordshire border, before cutting straight across Derbyshire (Dark Peak = North, White Peak = Midlands). A bit woollier on the east side of the country as I rarely go there, but the old coal mining areas would be north while Nottingham city and southwards would be Midlands.

The Midlands-South divide would be a line through somewhere between Cheltenham and the M4, somewhere between Banbury and Oxford, and somewhere between Northampton and Milton Keynes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
What do you do about the midlands?

I see the North-Midlands divide as following the Cheshire-Staffordshire border, before cutting straight across Derbyshire (Dark Peak = North, White Peak = Midlands). A bit woollier on the east side of the country as I rarely go there, but the old coal mining areas would be north while Nottingham city and southwards would be Midlands.
I lived in Nottingham, it was a coal mining town itself, coal mining took place in Coalville far to the south too.

daodao

Established Member
Cheshire, South Yorkshire and across to the east coast is the boundary between the north and the midlands. End of.
Historically, the River Mersey was the boundary between Mercia and Northumbria. However, the development of Manchester and Liverpool (both in Lancashire) as conurbations has meant that NW Cheshire has been subsumed into Merseyside and NE Cheshire into Greater Manchester (to an extent even beyond the formal boundaries). South Cheshire remains in the Midlands and has closer links with North Staffordshire.

Status
Not open for further replies.