• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where should [insert retailer name here] open their next store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
Looking ahead to a post-Covid economic recovery, I thought it would be fun to start a thread to see which retailer you would like to see expand, and where you would like them to open their next store. This could either be for personal reasons (desire for a branch in your local town or within walking distance of your home), or to stimulate economic recovery by locating it in an area that has a large catchment of the appropriate target audience.

For the former, I’d like to see Lidl open a branch in my local market town 5 minutes from home just so I can get my fix of their bakery section ;)

For the latter, I think IKEA should open a store in East Anglia. The country’s fastest growing region is pretty much cut off from the Swedish giant and you have to drive all the way to Thurrock or Milton Keynes to get your fix of meatballs and Billy bookcases. Cambridge would be an ideal location for such a store due to its ever growing importance as a regional hub and proximity to the expressway network, making it quick and easy to access within the region.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Cranebridge was full years ago, where could the store be put? There is space and a train station at Shippea Hill;)
There are too many stores out of town that should be closed or moved
I am lucky, l**l, a**i and several more stores in walking distance

Store location is one matter where the authorities should have much more power I think
Why are clusters of stores built outside town, instead of scattered stores where people live?

Last edited:

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
From a selfish point of view, a Wilko or similar in central Oxford would be greatly appreciated - it's a difficult city to live in on a budget. Yes, there are a good range of shops in Cowley, but that is quite a trek from much of the city.

From an economic recovery perspective, I think a lot of chains may open a larger number of smaller outlets, reflecting the shift from the big city centres to more suburban locales. Greggs are particularly good at this - on Tyneside in particular even small suburban rows of shops will often have a Greggs. I suspect this will be particularly true of coffee shops such as Costa.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Speaking of Greggs - Cambridge has a single branch.

However, growing up in the North, at least 4 per town centre seems to be the going rate.... :)

superjohn

Asda or Tesco should build a multi level underground 24 hour superstore in central London
Who would use it? The supermarket model in the centre of London is based entirely on convenience stores serving workers. You don’t have to go too far into zone 2 to find large supermarkets, this is because there is far more housing just outside the centre.

Crossover

Established Member
From an economic recovery perspective, I think a lot of chains may open a larger number of smaller outlets, reflecting the shift from the big city centres to more suburban locales. Greggs are particularly good at this - on Tyneside in particular even small suburban rows of shops will often have a Greggs.
Speaking of Greggs - Cambridge has a single branch.

However, growing up in the North, at least 4 per town centre seems to be the going rate.... :)

I believe the Greggs "model" is to bring the store to you, hence so many towns sustaining multiple branches (one of our local towns has had 2 for a long while, despite it now mostly being full of charity and pound shops)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think I'd also note with regard to Greggs in particular that it started life in the North East as a baker where you went to get bread, not sandwiches and pasties, and that your local parade of shops back then did traditionally have the proverbial butcher, baker and candlestick maker (well, not the latter, but probably a greengrocer, though). I reckon Greggs has to some extent endured in that form, but then what it sells has shifted.

Very similar to Sayers on Merseyside, though while that hasn't had the same level of success it's still about (also in its Poundbakery guise).

AJM580

"For the latter, I think IKEA should open a store in East Anglia. The country’s fastest growing region is pretty much cut off from the Swedish giant and you have to drive all the way to Thurrock or Milton Keynes to get your fix of meatballs and Billy bookcases. Cambridge would be an ideal location for such a store due to its ever growing importance as a regional hub and proximity to the expressway network, making it quick and easy to access within the region"

IKEA have a store in Norwich. There's a cafe and facilities to order whatever you need. Used it to kit out the spare room to display a few models

PTR 444

Established Member
IKEA have a store in Norwich. There's a cafe and facilities to order whatever you need. Used it to kit out the spare room to display a few models

I thought Norwich was only an order and collection point, or am I missing something?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We have a lot of B&Ms in our area (London / Buckinghamshire / Hertfordshire border), but not many Home Bargains. There’s a tiny one in Southall and bigger ones in Hounslow and High Wycombe, but none any closer than that.

I suppose not really their target market location, but I can get to 5 different B&Ms within 20 minutes, but I tend to find whilst B&M have quite a big following it doesn’t tend to be the same products or price point that I like from Home Bargains.

My favourite of the lot however is Wilko, and we have a few round here. To be honest quite happy there isn’t one on the local high street as I’d probably spend a fortune there.

Asda or Tesco should build a multi level underground 24 hour superstore in central London
There is a large Tesco in Earls Court; this used to be open 24 hours until the Covid related restrictions came in. Whilst this is formally a ‘Superstore,’ it does have a F+F department, Harris + Hoole and a fair amount of non-food retail as well as all the food choice that would be expected in a larger Tesco’s.

There’s also a Sainsburys Superstore (formerly Sainsburys Market) in Pimlico. Seems to have the usual food range for a full-sized Sainsbury’s but with less non-food, although Argos has an area instore, as well as a number of grab and go food counters.

We used to be spoilt for choice with 24 hour Tescos in central London, as well as this shop there were quite a few Express shops that were 24 hours. Since the Covid hour reductions the only one I know of now is the one on Camden Rd with the petrol station. Would be grateful to know of any others!

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A Starbucks in Huddersfield town centre is something I'd use regularly, and given the town's increasingly student-focussed economy I'm surprised the only presence of the "evil mermaid" ( ;) ) is a drive-thru on the retail park where the football ground used to be. Then again, a Starbucks in the Town centre would spell the end for the numerous independents- and the loss of some of those would be a shame. Might prune out the more rubbish ones though.

EssexGonzo

Pret-a-Manger should seriously consider some commuter towns around large cities. We're clearly not going into the cities in the same numbers for some time to come, so where are we instead?

It would be an incentive for people like me to get up and walk into Shenfield and get a decent sandwich at lunch time. We already have a large-ish Costa so there must be some demand.

And technically, East Anglia does have an IKEA store at lakeside. This area was called east Anglia last time I looked! :D

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Pret-a-Manger should seriously consider some commuter towns around large cities. We're clearly not going into the cities in the same numbers for some time to come, so where are we instead?

It would be an incentive for people like me to get up and walk into Shenfield and get a decent sandwich at lunch time. We already have a large-ish Costa so there must be some demand.

And technically, East Anglia does have an IKEA store at lakeside. This area was called east Anglia last time I looked! :D

There ought to be a market for home workers who want to have a break and pop out and work in the local Pret for an hour or two as a change in scenery.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Are "B&M" and "Home Bargains" under common ownership? If so, what's the difference in the offering, they both seem like modern day "Woolworths" to me?!

Occasionally see both outlets on the same trading estate.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are "B&M" and "Home Bargains" under common ownership? If so, what's the difference in the offering, they both seem like modern day "Woolworths" to me?!

Both are good for their own things. Various products I buy in each shop because they are cheaper in one or the other just doesn’t sell it.

Home Bargains is better for gardening stuff, cleaning, and healthcare, B&M better for DIY. B&M’s interior design and decor range seems to have quite a popular following, think funny shaped mirrors, diamantés and live laugh love signs (personally I think it’s a bit vulgar).

Class465pacer

Who would use it? The supermarket model in the centre of London is based entirely on convenience stores serving workers. You don’t have to go too far into zone 2 to find large supermarkets, this is because there is far more housing just outside the centre.
Just a personal wish tbf, as well as tourists and people not familiar with the suburbs can get to this superstore easily. Maybe it’s not needed but who knows

B&M are owned by American private equity investment fund Clayton, Dubilier & Rice. Home Bargains are basically independent, being owned by their founders company TJ Morris.

Both chains have acquired some former Woolworths stores.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There ought to be a market for home workers who want to have a break and pop out and work in the local Pret for an hour or two as a change in scenery.

As a home worker, yes, definitely. I don't do it when I have meetings but I do at other times - typical Costabucks or even Spoons.

I'd also happily go out for lunch, but the only opportunities around here are a couple of pubs, I'd rather something lighter but eat in within walking distance.

So I'd say yes that market is definitely there.

I'd say Wilko's is the modern Woolies. Even begins with a W. The only thing they're not near-identical to Woolies' on is that they don't sell kids' clothing.

Home & Bargain (sorry, I'm old and stuck in my ways, and it was called that originally) has a much narrower range.

S&CLER

I would like to see a Booths supermarket in Southport town centre, perhaps replacing Sainsburys when they move out to Kew. Booths used to be in Lord Street years ago, but as an old-fashioned high class grocer with marble counters. Nearest Booths are currently at Hesketh Bank and Burscough (Ringtail on the old airfield site). Waitrose failed in Southport, but have been successful since they moved to Formby. I think their off location was to blame (after the Morrisons takeover of Safeway they got the wrong branch when one had to be disposed of), but the manager at the time of closure told me it was one of 4 branches that were closing, 2 of them in coastal towns (the other was Christchurch, I think). He thought that they were not catering adequately to the pensioner market in these coastal places with an elderly population who wanted to buy in smaller packs. I understand that when the old Safeway (now B&M) on Lord Street closed in 1995, there was a covenant preventing any buyer or tenant from opening a competing supermarket. B&M is not regarded as "competing" with a full-range supermarket.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
McDonald’s or any other decent fast-food/convenience food place at Derby station - There really is nothing there.

Actually along those lines - M&S Food at Bristol TM - it's crying out for one, the food provision is appalling and there's nothing nearby bar a pub. Don't know where you'd put it but it's sorely needed.

route101

Established Member

I thought that too similar, Home Bargains stores are brighter and cleaner. B&M stores are a bit more messy and always roasting. Cant remember any of these stores before about 2010, they are more recent names to me.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
McDonald’s or any other decent fast-food/convenience food place at Derby station - There really is nothing there.

Stations with MaccyDs are few and far between generally. Only the one outside Liverpool Street springs to mind. (Some have them on adjacent retail parks or high streets, granted).

route101

Established Member
Stations with MaccyDs are few and far between generally. Only the one outside Liverpool Street springs to mind. (Some have them on adjacent retail parks or high streets, granted).

Leeds and Victoria have McDondalds.

Trackman

Established Member
I would like to see a Booths supermarket in Southport town centre ...
Booths is a north Lancashire thing I think, the last time I went their fresh food was absolutely top.
I would welcome a Booth's anywhere.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
None on the Isle of Man? Maybe that's where said retailers should open their next stores? ;)

Yesyesyes.

Aldi have said they won't as there's not enough people here, so we just have to make do with Tesco's Aldi price match. I'll be filling the boot in Home Bargains if I can ever leave the island!

Status
Not open for further replies.