• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ohgoditsjames

All this talk about where do people think we can go abroad, with the way things are looking, I doubt we’ll be even allowed to go the pub in 2-3 months if the locktivists have their way.

TravelDream

All this talk about where do people think we can go abroad, with the way things are looking, I doubt we’ll be even allowed to go the pub in 2-3 months if the locktivists have their way.

It is starting to look that way, isn't it? :/

Though there's a fair bit of resistance to the government. I posted above what Theresa May said in parliament about the ridiculous travel restrictions. If she's jumped on the anti-travel lockdown bandwagon, no doubt a large number of Tory MPs have too.

LAX54

Established Member
Just heard the The Netherlands are removing Covid restrictions from July 1st, and will 'welcome the UK Visitors', however of course it is currently on the Amber list.

kristiang85

Established Member
Just heard the The Netherlands are removing Covid restrictions from July 1st, and will 'welcome the UK Visitors', however of course it is currently on the Amber list.

A good friend of mine lives there and obviously I want her at my wedding in late July. I really hope she can make it, but obviously I don't expect her to go through the quarantine rigmarole that amber needs.

Cdd89

Established Member
A good friend of mine lives there and obviously I want her at my wedding in late July. I really hope she can make it, but obviously I don't expect her to go through the quarantine rigmarole that amber needs.
Our case rate and the Netherlands’ have crossed paths as a percentage of the population. They still have more deaths, but that shouldn’t be relevant for quarantine purposes.

At some point in that crossing you’d have expected the Netherlands to have been moved from Amber to Green.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Our case rate and the Netherlands’ have crossed paths as a percentage of the population. They still have more deaths, but that shouldn’t be relevant for quarantine purposes.

At some point in that crossing you’d have expected the Netherlands to have been moved from Amber to Green.

Remember how many countries Nederland borders though.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

Latest case rates/100k over last 7 days would suggest that most of these countries would be wise to put UK on banned list but most of them are falling over themselves to allow us in because a highly vaccinated population presents a significantly reduced threat. That said until i can just travel without having to fork out for tests I will stick to the CTA.
1623445272131.png

johncrossley

Established Member

The UK is now on their list of "very high risk" countries, which means quarantine is compulsory.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Erm…Germany and Belgium.

Well then through Belgium you're quickly in France, and through Germany the right way you're quickly in Denmark, plus all of said countries are in Schengen.

So I think Europe will have to open up to Green pretty much all at once.

Butts

Veteran Member
Will the next review herald a more realistic choice of destinations for UK "Summer Holidays"

When is it June 24th ?

island

Veteran Member
Will the next review herald a more realistic choice of destinations for UK "Summer Holidays"

When is it June 24th ?
28th is the date I have in mind, though I must confess days are still all running together in my head.

TravelDream

Interesting Twitter thread by Robert Peston (ITV political editor)

The logical implication of the PM’s statement today about why the full end of lockdown is being delayed by at least four weeks is that no major holiday or business destinations abroad will go on the green list any time soon. Dreams of foreign travel? Forget them. How so? Well… there are three reasons. 1) The PM, CMO and CSA all said that it won’t be prudent to allow us to mix with lots of others indoors until at least two thirds of adults are double-dose vaccinated. And there are very few other big countries close to that level of vaccination. So on the PM’s logic, those other countries are potential sources of new infections. 2) He said that the only serious risk to yet another delay to ending all lockdown restrictions on 19 July is the arrival here of an even more infectious and more lethal new variant. So is he really going to increase the risk of that omega variant (or whatever Greek moniker it’s given) travelling here with returning holiday makers. The political risk to him is too great. 3) And that political risk to him of encouraging foreign travel too early is all the greater because of the credible charge against him that the delta variant is rife because he acted too late to put India on the red list. So it is another staycation summer, for better or worse

nlogax

Established Member
That makes an awful lot of sense.

At this stage I can't see me getting to Canning Town this autumn, let alone Canada. I foresee this being a last minute decision based on 'what's open to UK visitors and are there reward seats available?'. 2021 is some crappy adventure so far.

Veteran Member
Not sure about Peston here. If a possible green list country has steadily falling case numbers/levels similar to UK a month ago, reasonable levels of vaccinations and other public health mitigations in place it will be difficult to justify retaining amber status UNLESS there is an actual new VOC.

They may not want us though :(

TravelDream

Not sure about Peston here. If a possible green list country has steadily falling case numbers/levels similar to UK a month ago, reasonable levels of vaccinations and other public health mitigations in place it will be difficult to justify retaining amber status UNLESS there is an actual new VOC.

They may not want us though :(

Before the last review, Malta had:
a) a lower Covid rate than us.
b) a falling Covid rate.
c) a higher vaccination rate than us (both first and second dose).

Was Malta put on the green list? No, they weren't.

The media seems to have given the government a free pass on the matter though. There was no questioning on this.

Also, there WILL be more variants of concern. Not may, but will. 101%. If we are continually worried about VOCs, then we will never open up again in the future. The thing we need to look at is limiting the effects of the VOCs by focusing on the countries which have them - e.g. putting India on the red list earlier than we did.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Before the last review, Malta had:
a) a lower Covid rate than us.
b) a falling Covid rate.
c) a higher vaccination rate than us (both first and second dose).

Was Malta put on the green list? No, they weren't.

The media seems to have given the government a free pass on the matter though. There was no questioning on this.

Also, there WILL be more variants of concern. Not may, but will. 101%. If we are continually worried about VOCs, then we will never open up again in the future. The thing we need to look at is limiting the effects of the VOCs by focusing on the countries which have them - e.g. putting India on the red list earlier than we did.
No, what we need to do is realise we have to live with this, we have offered vaccines to the majority so there is no excuse for continuing restrictions on travel. Certainly not after 19th July although I'd personally say now as those considered vulnerable have had double dose (or at least been offered).

TravelDream

No, what we need to do is realise we have to live with this, we have offered vaccines to the majority so there is no excuse for continuing restrictions on travel. Certainly not after 19th July although I'd personally say now as those considered vulnerable have had double dose (or at least been offered).

I'm not disagreeing with you, but that is totally unrealistic with our government. I mean, have you seen anything Boris Johnson has done?

What I posted was the best we could possibly hope for.

nlogax

Established Member

Again - this isn't just down to our government. We can put all the countries on the green list we like but there's nothing to say they're going to reciprocate. If anything right now countries are closing their doors to UK visitors.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Again - this isn't just down to our government. We can put all the countries on the green list we like but there's nothing to say they're going to reciprocate. If anything right now countries are closing their doors to UK visitors.

I'd imagine travelling to the EU would have been much easier had we not made this stupid decision to leave.

TravelDream

I saw in something in today's Politico Playbook saying that 'some form' of restrictions on international travel (quarantine and testing) are going to stay for 'a significant period of time'

These are very worrying times. The UK government is now completely out of line with what is happening in the rest of the Western World. The US and EU are opening up whilst we are shutting down.

Cdd89

Established Member
Again - this isn't just down to our government. We can put all the countries on the green list we like but there's nothing to say they're going to reciprocate. If anything right now countries are closing their doors to UK visitors
I think this is letting the government off a little too easily. UK-imposed travel restrictions have a much bigger impact on those who live in the UK than foreign ones. France is open to 60% of U.K. adults, Spain and Portugal are open generally, and there are plenty of other options worldwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.