• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
The worst experience I had recently was at one UK airport outbound. The member of staff lost his rag a little when I was slow trying to bring up PLF, vaccination certificate, etc. I do not blame him, mind - I suspect that the airline is trying to operate on a shoestring, being forced into a poor financial position by over-extended restrictions on international travel, and the staff that do remain are thus overworked.

The absolute ban on international travel which applied this spring in the UK was a huge mistake, and completely pointless given that we had Covid as bad, and probably worse than, most other European countries. It just seemed to be a display of authoritarianism and 'being seen to be doing something' to look good. Of course Hancock's indiscretions and Johnson's desire to reach a trade deal with Modi made a mockery of the whole thing.

By contrast the member of border staff arriving back in the UK was uncommonly polite (I have had some unpleasant experiences with border staff in airports in recent years even before Covid and Brexit - despite being a UK citizen they have treated me quite suspiciously for some unknown reason; maybe single male travellers with facial hair are seen as likely drug smugglers, or something - not sure).

Use the E-Gates and travel with paper copies of the documentation required ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KeithMcC

The NHS certificate issue seems bizarre to me, you can enter the Country with it, but not a restaurant or cafe ! you would have thought it would acceptable throughout !
No doubt the EU version would be valid over here.
I may well have to go to NL on business next week and am getting confused. The Dutch government website seems to say that vaccinated travellers are allowed in without a test, but various other people say that a test is needed. Has anyone any actual recent experience.
For getting in to places, it is said that the French COVID app will accept a UK vaccination certificate, so is the French app then valid in Holland? Presumably it has to be as that is another EU country? Brexit is the gift that continues to give.

island

Veteran Member
I may well have to go to NL on business next week and am getting confused. The Dutch government website seems to say that vaccinated travellers are allowed in without a test, but various other people say that a test is needed. Has anyone any actual recent experience.
From the horse's mouth: https://www.government.nl/topics/co...tory-when-travelling-from-a-high-risk-country

In short: yes you need a test, either PCR within 48 hours before arriving in the Netherlands or LFT within 24 hours before.
For getting in to places, it is said that the French COVID app will accept a UK vaccination certificate, so is the French app then valid in Holland? Presumably it has to be as that is another EU country? Brexit is the gift that continues to give.
The French app will display a UK vaccination certificate, but the underlying certificate remains a UK certificate. If you'll forgive the crude analogy, scanning the UK vaccination certificate into the French app is the digital equivalent of Photoshopping a UK certificate barcode onto the background of a French certificate. If it wasn't acceptable before, it won't be acceptable afterwards.

I have just now downloaded the Dutch scanner app and it doesn't accept my NHS vaccine pass, either directly or when scanned into the Irish CovidTracker app.

As an EU citizen I will be able to obtain an acceptable EU digital COVID certificate later this month via my country of citizenship, so I'm fortunate not to be going to the Netherlands until December.

Last edited:

danm14

As an EU citizen I will be able to obtain an acceptable EU digital COVID certificate later this month via my country of citizenship, so I'm fortunate not to be going to the Netherlands until December.
I assume (from the "end of the month" quote) that this is Ireland. If so, you can apply now and will receive it.

The system accepts all UK proof of vaccination at present, not just that from Northern Ireland. (I'm unsure about countries other than the UK).

The roll-out on a country-by-country basis starting with Northern Ireland is just a lie intended to balance load on the system.

They did the same with vaccination (eligibility was rolled out 5 years of age at a time, but they claimed it was 1 year per day).

kevin_roche

FYI. While I was in Greece last week, a friend from Belgium demonstrated his Covid App. It is also able to read the QR codes and display the information involved. His Belgian app was able to read my UK certificate.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
From 25 October, Switzerland will only accept proof of vaccination for domestic purposes if it comes as an EU Covid pass. Ridiculous policy but it does have one upside - they are now allowing you to get a Swiss-issued EU Covid pass using foreign proof of vaccination. You can get this from any Canton (aka county) but here is the form from the one I used, Graubünden: https://www.gr.ch/DE/institutionen/...zertifikatantrag/Seiten/zertifikatantrag.aspx

I checked the certificate they sent me (see attached), and this is now accepted by the French TousAntiCovid app. My NHS Covid pass was rejected as invalid before.

You'll need to upload your NHS vaccination certificate or letter, as well as your passport. You'll also need to give a vaguely plausible date and destination you'll be "coming to Graubünden", preferably from 25 October.

I suggest saying you're going somewhere near the border so that if they ask, you can buy a cheap train ticket to there for cover :lol: . I wasn't asked for any evidence of travel though.

Attachments

• 1633940469500.png
    1633940469500.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 31

island

Veteran Member
I assume (from the "end of the month" quote) that this is Ireland. If so, you can apply now and will receive it.

The system accepts all UK proof of vaccination at present, not just that from Northern Ireland. (I'm unsure about countries other than the UK).

The roll-out on a country-by-country basis starting with Northern Ireland is just a lie intended to balance load on the system.

They did the same with vaccination (eligibility was rolled out 5 years of age at a time, but they claimed it was 1 year per day).
Thanks for the tip-off.

Cdd89

Established Member
Interesting! And certainly beats my plan of getting re-vaccinated in the Netherlands. Thanks very much.

Re this bit:
I checked the certificate they sent me (see attached), and this is now accepted by the French TousAntiCovid app. My NHS Covid pass was rejected as invalid before
The French TAC Verif app was changed a couple of months ago to accept NHS certificates (though it’s still a source of friction as a surprising number of places have the out-of-date apps). I would test with the Dutch app, known not to accept NHS certificates: Scanner for CoronaCheck NL (link is to Apple App Store, but should be searchable on Android!).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Interesting! And certainly beats my plan of getting re-vaccinated in the Netherlands. Thanks very much.

Re this bit:

The French TAC Verif app was changed a couple of months ago to accept NHS certificates (though it’s still a source of friction as a surprising number of places have the out-of-date apps). I would test with the Dutch app, known not to accept NHS certificates: Scanner for CoronaCheck NL (link is to Apple App Store, but should be searchable on Android!).
Just checked that and it works too. HTH!

Cdd89

Established Member
Great, thanks!

In short: yes you need a test, either PCR within 48 hours before arriving in the Netherlands or LFT within 24 hours before.
Just to add to the misery, the Dutch specify that:

Information on Test Result
No other type of test, including self-tests[…] is valid.
Some operators, such as Stena Line, have interpreted this to mean that home tests (where you take a photo of the LFD cartridge result and get a certificate) are not accepted.

Established Member
From 25 October, Switzerland will only accept proof of vaccination for domestic purposes if it comes as an EU Covid pass. Ridiculous policy but it does have one upside - they are now allowing you to get a Swiss-issued EU Covid pass using foreign proof of vaccination. You can get this from any Canton (aka county) but here is the form from the one I used, Graubünden: https://www.gr.ch/DE/institutionen/...zertifikatantrag/Seiten/zertifikatantrag.aspx

I checked the certificate they sent me (see attached), and this is now accepted by the French TousAntiCovid app. My NHS Covid pass was rejected as invalid before.

You'll need to upload your NHS vaccination certificate or letter, as well as your passport. You'll also need to give a vaguely plausible date and destination you'll be "coming to Graubünden", preferably from 25 October.

I suggest saying you're going somewhere near the border so that if they ask, you can buy a cheap train ticket to there for cover :lol: . I wasn't asked for any evidence of travel though.

I saw people doing similar on the TripAdvisor forum. Given that form a go myself, wish me luck!

island

Veteran Member
Great, thanks!

Just to add to the misery, the Dutch specify that:

Information on Test Result

Some operators, such as Stena Line, have interpreted this to mean that home tests (where you take a photo of the LFD cartridge result and get a certificate) are not accepted.
I believe that is a correct interpretation; France has similar rules in that tests must be conducted by a medical professional. A photo of an LFT with one line proves very Little.

danm14

I believe that is a correct interpretation; France has similar rules in that tests must be conducted by a medical professional. A photo of an LFT with one line proves very Little.
That page explicitly states that rapid antigen tests are permitted. After explicitly permitting rapid antigen tests, it then states that "No other type of test, including self-tests and serological tests used to detect antibodies in blood, is valid". A self-administered rapid antigen test is still a rapid antigen test, it is not an "other type of test".

Therefore, personally, given the context and wording, I'd be interpreting that as "self tests [used to detect antibodies in blood] and serological tests used to detect antibodies in blood", rather than "self tests [of any description] and serological tests used to detect antibodies in blood"

It obviously needs to be clarified, but that would be my interpretation.

Cdd89

Established Member
There is also the grey area of video-proctored tests such as those offered by Qured, where the testing is performed by the subject (a “self test”?) but supervised in real time and certified by someone remotely (not a “self test”?).

island

Veteran Member
That page explicitly states that rapid antigen tests are permitted. After explicitly permitting rapid antigen tests, it then states that "No other type of test, including self-tests and serological tests used to detect antibodies in blood, is valid". A self-administered rapid antigen test is still a rapid antigen test, it is not an "other type of test".

Therefore, personally, given the context and wording, I'd be interpreting that as "self tests [used to detect antibodies in blood] and serological tests used to detect antibodies in blood", rather than "self tests [of any description] and serological tests used to detect antibodies in blood"

It obviously needs to be clarified, but that would be my interpretation.
I accept that the text is also open to that interpretation. Perhaps the original Dutch is less ambiguous.

johncrossley

Established Member
I accept that the text is also open to that interpretation. Perhaps the original Dutch is less ambiguous.

Een zelftest of een serologische test waarbij met een bloedonderzoek naar antistoffen wordt gekeken, zijn niet toegestaan.

Looks like the same in Dutch.

danm14

Een zelftest of een serologische test waarbij met een bloedonderzoek naar antistoffen wordt gekeken, zijn niet toegestaan.
I don't profess to be a Dutch speaker, but this appears to literally translate as:

A self test or a serological test whereby with a blood test antibodies are looked for, is not allowed.

As a serological test is in itself a blood test which looks for antibodies, I think this supports my interpretation. Otherwise, half the sentence is redundant.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The Dutch border requirements are very specious and enforcement is spotty. I’ve now entered three times in the last few months. The latest time I was not even asked for proof of test or vaccination.

Butts

Veteran Member
When is the date going to be announced for the change from PCR to LF for 2 Day Test on return ?

I am off to Dusseldorf next week and none the wiser as to which variant will be required on my return.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
When is the date going to be announced for the change from PCR to LF for 2 Day Test on return ?

I am off to Dusseldorf next week and none the wiser as to which variant will be required on my return.
When the government have reached an agreement with their testing mates, probably :rolleyes:
Allegedly the change will happen "in time" for half term holidays, in which case you should be fine for your trip to Dusseldorf (provided you return to England first!).

LAX54

Established Member
Also the UK Certificate is not 'acceptable' in restaurants and cafes, you need a daily test for that ! (although 'some' may accept the UK issue)
also I thought Germany was OK to go to, but it seems not, filling in a trial (German site) digital entry form today (13th) it came up RED .......

Following a stay in a high-risk area, you are required in general to stay in quarantine for 10 days after entry into Germany.​

You can end this quarantine by submitting a negative test result taken after five days at the earliest. Exemptions from the quarantine obligation exist, for instance, for persons who have been vaccinated or have recovered from infection. Further information can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry of Health. You must transmit your test result, or proof of vaccination or recovery to the public health office. To transmit the file, please use the upload function at the end of the Digital Registration on Entry.

so that looks like its off the menu too !

See my post above, but when I clicked on a German Gov site about entry, you have to do a digital form, which I did a 'trial' entry......UK flashed up RED and the need to quarantine upon arrival !

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Also the UK Certificate is not 'acceptable' in restaurants and cafes, you need a daily test for that ! (although 'some' may accept the UK issue)
also I thought Germany was OK to go to, but it seems not, filling in a trial (German site) digital entry form today (13th) it came up RED .......

Following a stay in a high-risk area, you are required in general to stay in quarantine for 10 days after entry into Germany.​

You can end this quarantine by submitting a negative test result taken after five days at the earliest. Exemptions from the quarantine obligation exist, for instance, for persons who have been vaccinated or have recovered from infection. Further information can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry of Health. You must transmit your test result, or proof of vaccination or recovery to the public health office. To transmit the file, please use the upload function at the end of the Digital Registration on Entry.

so that looks like its off the menu too !

See my post above, but when I clicked on a German Gov site about entry, you have to do a digital form, which I did a 'trial' entry......UK flashed up RED and the need to quarantine upon arrival !
But it states you are exempt from quarantine if vaccinated....... Nothing has changed since (at least) August.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member

It’s still a tad up in the air. Boris said it would be in place by the 25th but it’s gone quiet since. No confirmation that Nicola will follow the change.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/#/5 (which is the link for the above :) )

intimates that we do need to quarantine regardless, as we are 'High Risk' although I agree on another it says you don't !
Sorry I can't see anything that says we need to quarantine. The link only goes to the form.

Quarantine for those vaccinated only applies to those coming from areas with a "variant of concern". This does does not apply to the UK.

The following is taken from the official Federal Minister of Health Website.

Proof of vaccination or recovery is deemed equivalent to a negative test result within the context of the obligation to furnish proof. Additionally, it can exempt you from the obligation to quarantine on entry. However, as a rule, this does not apply if you spent time in an area classified as an area of variants of concern at the time of entry. In this case, travellers are always required to carry with them a negative test result; the aforementioned proof does not provide exemption from quarantine on entry (see also below under Obligation to quarantine on entry)

Last edited:

Established Member
https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/#/5 (which is the link for the above :) )

intimates that we do need to quarantine regardless, as we are 'High Risk' although I agree on another it says you don't !

It says elsewhere (and indeed in some of the text you copied and pasted!) that providing proof of vaccination, proof of recovery or a negative test exempts you from the quarantine requirement. I went last month and had no issues, I attached my vaccination certificate to a link they email you once the form is filled in.

LAX54

Established Member
Attention: Please note that the new version of the Coronavirus Entry Ordinance will come into force on September 30, 2021 at midnight:

Due to the increasing worldwide distribution of easily transferable SARS-CoV-2 variants (especially the delta variant), there is a general obligation to provide evidence. This means that people aged 12 and over must have a negative test result, proof of vaccination or proof of recovery upon entry. The general obligation to provide evidence applies regardless of the type of means of transport and regardless of whether a previous stay has taken place in a high-risk or virus variant area. In addition, when entering the Federal Republic of Germany after a stay in a foreign high-risk area or virus variant area, special registration, proof and quarantine requirements must be observed. When entering from virus variant areas - subject to very limited exceptions - there is a ban on passenger transport by train, bus, ship and flight directly from these countries.

The highlighted bit in the text is the part I am reading. this could be a recent change ?

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Attention: Please note that the new version of the Coronavirus Entry Ordinance will come into force on September 30, 2021 at midnight:

Due to the increasing worldwide distribution of easily transferable SARS-CoV-2 variants (especially the delta variant), there is a general obligation to provide evidence. This means that people aged 12 and over must have a negative test result, proof of vaccination or proof of recovery upon entry. The general obligation to provide evidence applies regardless of the type of means of transport and regardless of whether a previous stay has taken place in a high-risk or virus variant area. In addition, when entering the Federal Republic of Germany after a stay in a foreign high-risk area or virus variant area, special registration, proof and quarantine requirements must be observed. When entering from virus variant areas - subject to very limited exceptions - there is a ban on passenger transport by train, bus, ship and flight directly from these countries.

The highlighted bit in the text is the part I am reading. this could be a recent change ?

Taken from the same source (Robert Koch Institute)

Ending quarantine: Quarantine at home may be ended early if proof of recovery, proof of vaccination or a negative test result is submitted via upload portal of the digital registration on entry at https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de. The individual link on the registration confirmation (PDF document) should be used to upload the proof of recovery, proof of vaccination or a negative test result. Quarantine can be ended in each case from the time the negative test result is submitted. If you spent time in a high-risk area prior to entry, the relevant test may not be conducted earlier than five days after entry (test to release possible from day five following entry). Vaccinated and recovered persons can end the quarantine from the time when the proof of vaccination or recovery is transmitted via the entry portal. If the transmission takes place before entry (strongly recommended), no quarantine is needed

LAX54

Established Member

Taken from the same source (Robert Koch Institute)

Ending quarantine: Quarantine at home may be ended early if proof of recovery, proof of vaccination or a negative test result is submitted via upload portal of the digital registration on entry at https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de. The individual link on the registration confirmation (PDF document) should be used to upload the proof of recovery, proof of vaccination or a negative test result. Quarantine can be ended in each case from the time the negative test result is submitted. If you spent time in a high-risk area prior to entry, the relevant test may not be conducted earlier than five days after entry (test to release possible from day five following entry). Vaccinated and recovered persons can end the quarantine from the time when the proof of vaccination or recovery is transmitted via the entry portal. If the transmission takes place before entry (strongly recommended), no quarantine is needed

Thanks for the info, have just done a digital entry form, all details entered, jabbed etc, and from UK via Holland, all went well, and then they sent a verification code which I entered into the form, the next page said, address where you will be staying for the 10 days, but also as you say other sites say entry no problem, unless they have not caught up with the change on 30/09 ?

The upshot of all this, is..... when everyone checks what they need to travel to another Country, depending on what website they look on, they will, or may, get conflicting information !

Not bringing BREXIT into the equation, is it not about time that all Countries, well at least maybe the EU/UK/USA all had the same or very similar paperwork, and that the forms are accepted for ALL requirements, for entry and visiting places ( mainly eating and entertainment) in those Countries ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.