• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Looks like lft is cheap enough for the majority of double jabbed to consider going away. Certainly much cheaper than PCR. However I'm sure we can't wait for the day that we just have to present proof of vaccinations (amd follow the etiquette of the airport/airline/local country), even if there's a marginal fee to print out a headed letter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamiescott1

My day 2 tests were delivered by dpd and left with a neighbour whilst I was abroad. My neighbour is now on holiday so no access to my testing kit.

I tested positive for covid 4 weeks ago so not sure why I have to have a day 2 test anyway (if you've tested positive in previous 180 days then you don't need a test to enter Canada, which I think is a common sense approach unlike the uk)

Cdd89

Established Member
With this relaxation (which I’m highly grateful for — at £12 I don’t view this as a barrier to travel at all), I think it is worth noting how incredibly onerous the requirements remain for unvaccinated arrivals.

I can understand basically not wanting unvaccinated visitors, because they represent a potential additional burden on healthcare. But unvaccinaed returning residents are a different matter as we are on the hook for their healthcare anyway; they could end up in hospital from going to a bar in the U.K. just as easily as from going to France.

I can’t help but feel that if the restrictions didn’t exist, and were today being introduced for unvaccinated people with 5 days quarantine and 4 tests costing about £170, it would be more politically difficult. All the current restrictions on the unvaccinated started as restrictions for all, that were only eased for the vaccinated. Quite sneaky IMO.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
With this relaxation (which I’m highly grateful for — at £12 I don’t view this as a barrier to travel at all), I think it is worth noting how incredibly onerous the requirements remain for unvaccinated arrivals.

I can understand basically not wanting unvaccinated visitors, because they represent a potential additional burden on healthcare. But unvaccinaed returning residents are a different matter as we are on the hook for their healthcare anyway; they could end up in hospital from going to a bar in the U.K. just as easily as from going to France.

I can’t help but feel that if the restrictions didn’t exist, and were today being introduced for unvaccinated people with 5 days quarantine and 4 tests costing about £170, it would be more politically difficult. All the current restrictions on the unvaccinated started as restrictions for all, that were only eased for the vaccinated. Quite sneaky IMO.
It's another sly move towards making vaccination de facto mandatory.

island

Veteran Member
If I've not got a booking for an acceptable test and the Government consider it that important why does the form not pick it up ?
I would suggest you address that question to the Scottish government.
Which offence will I be committing and what is the paper trail involved in bringing me to book if they decide to do so ?
The offence is entering Scotland having been outwith the Common Travel Area in the previous 10 days and without being in possession of a valid testing package, contrary to Regulation 30 (1) (a) of the Health Protection (Coronavirus) (International Travel and Operator Liability) (Scotland) Regulations 2021.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Looks like lft is cheap enough for the majority of double jabbed to consider going away. Certainly much cheaper than PCR. However I'm sure we can't wait for the day that we just have to present proof of vaccinations (amd follow the etiquette of the airport/airline/local country), even if there's a marginal fee to print out a headed letter.
I think this is the end goal. In many countries, politics is getting in the way. Few nations want to risk making a serious mistake now.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What are the cheapest lateral flow "fit to fly" and day 2 tests that people have found?

Simplytestme.co.uk seems to offer £12 tests but only for day 2. Covidtestingdirect.com offers £1 tests but these are PCR and only for day 2, and are only available if you pick up and drop them off in person in Cardiff or London.

Chronomics seem to be the best bet for the "fit to fly" tests, as they offer a various airline discounts - e.g. £17.09 if you book through a BA link, but no verification you actually have a BA booking :lol:. They offer £15 tests through a Tui link but for that, they do check you have a Tui booking.

It's really frustrating having to pay these charlatan testing companies, when the tests cost £1 or less at wholesale rates. Of course they've got to pay for postage, administration, VAT etc. but a significant percentage of these sorts of prices must still be pure profit.

Butts

Veteran Member
What are the cheapest lateral flow "fit to fly" and day 2 tests that people have found?

Simplytestme.co.uk seems to offer £12 tests but only for day 2. Covidtestingdirect.com offers £1 tests but these are PCR and only for day 2, and are only available if you pick up and drop them off in person in Cardiff or London.

Chronomics seem to be the best bet for the "fit to fly" tests, as they offer a various airline discounts - e.g. £17.09 if you book through a BA link, but no verification you actually have a BA booking :lol:. They offer £15 tests through a Tui link but for that, they do check you have a Tui booking.

It's really frustrating having to pay these charlatan testing companies, when the tests cost £1 or less at wholesale rates. Of course they've got to pay for postage, administration, VAT etc. but a significant percentage of these sorts of prices must still be pure profit.

At least the price of travelling is on a downward trend at the moment, at least in respect of testing.

With all the doomsayers in prevalence get abroad while you can - ie before Christmas.

Cdd89

Established Member
For Day2, the requirements for running one of those companies sound minimal (couldn’t I set up an outfit…). I used STM but the PLF grumbled about the code so presumably they haven’t added the prefix. But there’s no requirement for the provider to be government approved.

For FTF, most departures that require it explicitly require supervision of some sort. The US and the Netherlands being two examples. Qured (remote supervision) seems like the best option there at £29 after an easily-findable 15% discount, but I’d be interested if anyone has found cheaper.

I have a test in my cupboard from Chronomics but I think I’ll struggle to find a use for it now that UK Pre Departure Testing is gone.

big_rig

I would advise not going with Chronomics purely because I am nearly two months into receiving a refund which had been ‘processed and is on the way into your account’ from them..

Butts

Veteran Member
I would advise not going with Chronomics purely because I am nearly two months into receiving a refund which had been ‘processed and is on the way into your account’ from them..

I have used them for a LF on my return from Germany today. The Code worked on the PLF and I have been advised the test has been despatched yesterday.

If it does not turn up I won't be chasing them up fervently - a perfect excuse not to do the damn thing.

nlogax

Established Member

They were similarly hopeless when I tried to cancel my order on hearing that pre-return tests were no longer required. I'm assuming that the codes I received with them are not any good for day 2.

Butts

Veteran Member
Just checked in at Dusseldorf for my BA flight to LHR - they were not interested in PLF, Tests or Vaccination Certificate - see what happens at the gate (if anything)

Butts

Veteran Member
Just checked in at Dusseldorf for my BA flight to LHR - they were not interested in PLF, Tests or Vaccination Certificate - see what happens at the gate (if anything)

No checks on paperwork or anything else at the gate in Dusseldorf, and I have just cleared UK Border at LHR straight through the e-gates no checks whatsoever !!

Will wait to see if I hear anything from NHS Scotland or have any checks at LCY later on today.

A60stock

Hi All,

A quick question.

I may need to go on holiday to Croatia and Tenerife around May/June next year. Going with a group, mixed with those who are both double jabbed and those who have not had one at all (question whether they will even be able to travel)

What I would like to know is if its worth booking anything now to these regions? Or if it's a massive risk given the direction the UK is heading with covid (according to the media). In addition, if airlines are sly with refunds (likely to book with BA)

Cheers

johncrossley

Established Member
A month ago, Britain was "on the verge" of joining the EUDCC

Britain is on the verge of joining the EU’s digital vaccine passport scheme, a move that would slash waiting times for travellers at borders.

Joining the EU Digital Covid Certificate (EUDCC) — the biggest vaccine passport scheme in the world — could make travelling to Europe cheaper for British tourists as some countries, such as France, Portugal and the Netherlands, require non-EU residents to take tests even if they are double-jabbed. The scheme will reduce queues as it makes it easier to verify vaccine status.

It will fold the data held by the UK’s NHS app into the EUDCC, allowing other countries to access users’ vaccine status and test results that can be scanned and verified by border authorities across more than 40 countries.

But we are still waiting.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This web page appears to have been taken offline since Friday. Luckily I snagged one but others visiting from England haven’t been so lucky :frown:
Yes, unfortunately that's no longer possible. You can still get a Swiss certificate (which is part of the EU scheme so should be accepted in all EU countries) but only through the federal portal, and they are now charging CHF30 (~£23). Given that there is no way of participating in any sort of normal tourism (restaurants etc.) without such a certificate, I'd say it's tantamount to a stealth tourist tax.

This all goes to show what a charade it is. The fact that you're vaccinated, and that you can prove it, doesn't matter. You're not "clean" until you do what the bureaucrats demand. What kind of world are we becoming... :(

Cdd89

Established Member
Hopefully the rumours that the U.K. is joining the EU DCC come to pass soon. The last I saw was an article on 24 September stating that it was nearly done, but this was a month ago:

The Telegraph has been told by EU that integration of the UK’s jabs database into bloc’s system is at advanced stage.

Britain is on the verge of joining the EU Covid vaccine passport scheme, sources in Brussels and Westminster have confirmed.

The EU Digital Covid Certificate should make travelling in Europe easier and cheaper for British tourists.

More controversially, joining it would also enable the Government to quickly launch a domestic vaccine passport system should it be needed to help control Covid this winter.

(edit: just noticed I have duplicated @johncrossley’s post above!)

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Hopefully the rumours that the U.K. is joining the EU DCC come to pass soon. The last I saw was an article on 24 September stating that it was nearly done, but this was a month ago:

(edit: just noticed I have duplicated @johncrossley’s post above!)

Well I had no problem getting into Germany 1 Minute check by Police before Passport Control , NHS Scotland Paper Certificate Fine.

Got a stamp in my passport for first time in years in and out.

It was also accepted at all venues where vaccination evidence was required - Bars, Hotels, Boat Trip and anywhere else you care to mention.

danm14

I can't help but feel that if the restrictions didn’t exist, and were today being introduced for unvaccinated people with 5 days quarantine and 4 tests costing about £170, it would be more politically difficult. All the current restrictions on the unvaccinated started as restrictions for all, that were only eased for the vaccinated. Quite sneaky IMO.
That's pretty much what happened though.

There was a reasonably long list of countries which unvaccinated people could enter from with two tests and no quarantine. Vaccinated people couldn't enter with any fewer restrictions from any country (except the special case of Ireland), they just had a longer list of countries they could enter from on the same basis.

Restrictions were very marginally eased for the vaccinated (removal of pre-departure test) and simultaneously considerably tightened for the unvaccinated (5-10 days quarantine and 1-2 extra tests for entry from countries they could freely enter from a day ago).

island

Veteran Member
Israel has now decided that vaccine passports expire six months after the second dose.

Barnsley

Well I had no problem getting into Germany 1 Minute check by Police before Passport Control , NHS Scotland Paper Certificate Fine.

It was also accepted at all venues where vaccination evidence was required - Bars, Hotels, Boat Trip and anywhere else you care to mention.
That's great to know! I'm off to Dusseldorf myself on Thursday

YorkshireBear

Established Member

I am off to Dusseldorf in a month so was going to ask but sounds like it was relatively pain free.

Has anyone got any experience of the Czech Republic as the trip also goes there but I could change it to a German city if needs be.

Israel has now decided that vaccine passports expire six months after the second dose.
An interesting change but not that unexpected.

Butts

Veteran Member
Blimey what's the sudden attraction of Dusseldorf ?- am I a trendsetter !!

Have to report contrary to popular belief German Trains are late occasionally - resulted in me getting a Bus to the airport yesterday.

If you are staying in Dusseldorf get a Dusseldorf Card mine was 21 Euros for 3 Days and that includes all your to and from Airport Transport plus all other Bus Train and Tram Rides in the Area. You also get Free Admission/ Discounted rate on a lot of attractions. Buy online and download to your phone or print off at home.

My LF test arrived from Chronomics Today and like a good boy I did it - Negative.

Uploaded results and will have and wait to see if I get summoned in to see Nicola and explain why I didn't do a PCR one

island

Veteran Member
Uploaded results and will have and wait to see if I get summoned in to see Nicola and explain why I didn't do a PCR one
She's decided to follow the crowd and change to LFTs from Friday evening, so you probably won't.

alex397

Established Member
Has anyone got any experience of the Czech Republic as the trip also goes there but I could change it to a German city if needs be.
I would also be interested in hearing anyone’s recent experience with Czechia. I’m hoping to travel there next week, but still haven’t booked anything.
There have been rising Covid rates, and some increased restrictions, but seemingly nothing too drastic.
I keep reading conflicting information about what things I need to do to.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I would also be interested in hearing anyone’s recent experience with Czechia. I’m hoping to travel there next week, but still haven’t booked anything.
There have been rising Covid rates, and some increased restrictions, but seemingly nothing too drastic.
I keep reading conflicting information about what things I need to do to.
I am much the same and I am tempted to stick to germany only to simplify things in terms of restrictions, requirements etc.

Blimey what's the sudden attraction of Dusseldorf ?- am I a trendsetter !!

Have to report contrary to popular belief German Trains are late occasionally - resulted in me getting a Bus to the airport yesterday.

If you are staying in Dusseldorf get a Dusseldorf Card mine was 21 Euros for 3 Days and that includes all your to and from Airport Transport plus all other Bus Train and Tram Rides in the Area. You also get Free Admission/ Discounted rate on a lot of attractions. Buy online and download to your phone or print off at home.

My LF test arrived from Chronomics Today and like a good boy I did it - Negative.

Cheap flights from the north of England is my reason! Easy way into Germany.

alex397

Established Member
I am much the same and I am tempted to stick to germany only to simplify things in terms of restrictions, requirements etc.
I think Germany and Czechia are quite similar with their restrictions, from what I can tell. But yes, dealing with more than one country on a trip right now seems a bit too much for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.