• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdd89

Established Member
Just a quick question. What "measures" are in place on arrival back in the UK from Europe?
If fully vaccinated from an eligible country, just a lateral flow test on day 2 and a Passenger Locator Form. Very light touch.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danm14

Just a quick question. What "measures" are in place on arrival back in the UK from Europe?
There are no restrictions on return from Ireland regardless of circumstances, as Ireland is treated as part of the UK for the purposes of Covid restrictions.

On return from any other country, the rules are now the same for all countries.

If you're fully vaccinated*, you must pay for and take a private lateral flow test on or before Day 2. There are no other restrictions - although if you were vaccinated outside the UK you are highly likely to be required to self isolate for 10 days shortly after entering (as those vaccinated outside the UK are not exempt from self isolation as a close contact under any circumstance, and you are highly likely to be contact traced after a flight). If this happens, it is illegal to leave the UK until the 10 days are up.

If you aren't fully vaccinated, you must take a test before returning to the UK. You must also self isolate for 10 days after arrival, and pay for and take private PCR tests on or before Day 2 and on or after Day 8. If you're in England, you can pay for and take an additional private PCR test on Day 5 and end self isolation if this is negative - this is not available in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

* "Fully vaccinated" encompasses those vaccinated in the UK, any EU country, or a large number of other countries - provided they have proof of receiving at least two doses of Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Covaxin, Sinovac or Sinopharm; or at least one dose of Janssen; or a mixture thereof. All under 18s are considered "fully vaccinated" regardless of their vaccination status (even if they are eligible for vaccination), as are some vaccine trial participants and some people who are medically unable to be vaccinated. However, natural immunity is not recognised, whether alone or in conjunction with a single dose of a two dose vaccine.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
although if you were vaccinated outside the UK you are highly likely to be required to self isolate for 10 days shortly after entering (as those vaccinated outside the UK are not exempt from self isolation as a close contact under any circumstance, and you are highly likely to be contact traced after a flight). If this happens, it is illegal to leave the UK until the 10 days are up.
Is it? I don't think people are forced to stay in the country, are they?

adc82140

Established Member
Is it? I don't think people are forced to stay in the country, are they?
Not specifically illegal, but leaving the house during the 10 day isolation without a "valid" reason is, so by default it's illegal to go on any form of public transport, including planes and ferries.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Not specifically illegal, but leaving the house during the 10 day isolation without a "valid" reason is, so by default it's illegal to go on any form of public transport, including planes and ferries.
I'm not in a position to check, but in previous iterations of the actual law, it was expressly permitted to leave England during self-isolation.

P Binnersley

People are not forced to stay in the country.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, International Travel and Operator Liability) (England) Regulations 2021
PART 2 Additional requirements on persons arriving in England who are not eligible travellers [un-vaccinated]
Section 9.Further requirements on arrivals from category 2 countries and territories [Non-Red-List]

danm14

People are not forced to stay in the country.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, International Travel and Operator Liability) (England) Regulations 2021
PART 2 Additional requirements on persons arriving in England who are not eligible travellers [un-vaccinated]
Section 9.Further requirements on arrivals from category 2 countries and territories [Non-Red-List]

Unvaccinated people returning from abroad who are only self isolating as a result of foreign travel (not as a positive case or as a close contact) are permitted to leave self isolation to leave the UK.

Unvaccinated people (which includes vaccinated people who were vaccinated outside the UK, despite them being considered vaccinated for every other purpose) who are notified that they are close contacts of positive cases cannot leave the country, as the same self isolation legislation then applies as if they were positive themselves - they are only permitted to leave their accomodation for very specific reasons set out in legislation.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Unvaccinated people returning from abroad who are only self isolating as a result of foreign travel (not as a positive case or as a close contact) are permitted to leave self isolation to leave the UK.

Unvaccinated people (which includes vaccinated people who were vaccinated outside the UK, despite them being considered vaccinated for every other purpose) who are notified that they are close contacts of positive cases cannot leave the country, as the same self isolation legislation then applies as if they were positive themselves - they are only permitted to leave their accomodation for very specific reasons set out in legislation.
Could you cite the relevant law? This would be a departure from previous iterations of the law. Leaving England has always been expressly permitted. Are you saying the law quoted by @P Binnersley isn’t the one that applies? Because what he posted makes it clear the regulations apply only until you leave England. The government is not forcing people - not its own citizens, nor foreigners - to stay, and never has.

Adam Wagner, a human rights barrister who studies this sort of stuff and posts on Twitter, was quite clear on his interpretation of the regulations last year.

(11) During the period of their self-isolation, P may not leave, or be outside of, the place where P is self-isolating except—

(a)to travel in order to leave England, provided that they do so directly (subject to paragraph 3(1) of Schedule 8);

Which is the relevant law if it is not this?

Cdd89

Established Member
I think the confusion is between the International Travel Coronavirus legislation, and the Domestic Self Isolation legislation (which also applies to people who have travelled into the United Kingdom, independently from their travel!).

Both contain provisions for isolation: the former as a matter of course for all unvaccinated international arrivals (along with the test to release option on day 5), and the latter for unvaccinated individuals in the United Kingdom who are close contacts of a COVID case (as well as vaccinated individuals who test positive).

The former contains an exemption to leave the place where the person is living for leaving the country, provided the person does so directly. The latter does not.

An unvaccinated arrival may find themselves bound by both sets of legislation simultaneously, but clearly(?) the most restrictive rules supersede the less restrictive rules.

danm14

I think the confusion is between the International Travel Coronavirus legislation, and the Domestic Self Isolation legislation.

Both contain provisions for isolation: the former as a matter of course for international arrivals who are unvaccinated, and the latter for unvaccinated individuals in the United Kingdom who are close contacts of a COVID case (as well as vaccinated individuals who test positive).

The former contains an exemption to leave the place where the person is living for leaving the country, provided the person does so directly. The latter does not.

An unvaccinated arrival may find themselves bound by both sets of legislation simultaneously, but clearly(?) the most restrictive rules supersede the less restrictive rules.
That is exactly the confusion.

The confusion is worsened because people vaccinated outside the UK are considered vaccinated for the purposes of International Travel legislation, but unvaccinated for the purposes of Domestic Self Isolation legislation.

A person vaccinated outside the UK does not need to self isolate on entering the country (as they are considered vaccinated) but does need to self isolate if they are contact traced, even if the contact tracing arises from their travel to the country (as they are considered unvaccinated).

A person vaccinated in the UK would not need to self isolate in either circumstance.

adc82140

Established Member
When it comes down to it, enforcement is a matter for the police. And the police, somehow, are supposed to understand all the nuances discussed above. What a mess.

island

Veteran Member
Could you cite the relevant law? This would be a departure from previous iterations of the law. Leaving England has always been expressly permitted. Are you saying the law quoted by @P Binnersley isn’t the one that applies? Because what he posted makes it clear the regulations apply only until you leave England. The government is not forcing people - not its own citizens, nor foreigners - to stay, and never has.

Adam Wagner, a human rights barrister who studies this sort of stuff and posts on Twitter, was quite clear on his interpretation of the regulations last year.

(11) During the period of their self-isolation, P may not leave, or be outside of, the place where P is self-isolating except—

(a)to travel in order to leave England, provided that they do so directly (subject to paragraph 3(1) of Schedule 8);

Which is the relevant law if it is not this?
Danm14 is correct; you are looking in the wrong place. A person who has tested positive, or a person other than a person vaccinated in the UK who has been notified by the NHS/a local council/etc. (otherwise than via the NHS app) that they are a close contact of a positive case is not permitted to travel to leave England, see regulations 2, 2A, and 2B of SI 2020/1045.

I'm not in a position to check, but in previous iterations of the actual law, it was expressly permitted to leave England during self-isolation.
That only applies to self-isolation arising from the travel itself (for example, arriving unvaccinated from abroad under today's rules, or from an amber country in June). Self-isolation arising from a positive test or being a close contact follows (and has always followed) stricter rules.

joncombe

It doesn't seem to have been that widely reported but it seems the Government has committed to reviewing the travel restrictions in January.

This was reported in the BBC Live feed today (2nd story down) . To quote

"We all want to see aviation bounce back," said Courts.

"We all want to reduce not just testing but all the restrictive measures.

"We're going to review the policy in January. We'll be looking to see what we can do at that stage."

The minister refused to say which aspects of the travel rules could be amended.
I'm hoping this finally means an end to testing for fully vaccinated travellers (of course, whether fully vaccinated means "including booster" by January, we'll see).

Maybe if we're lucky the passenger locator form might go as well.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Transport operators are currently required to read out a statement from the government advising of the need to fill out a PLF and of the fact that red list returnees must quarantine at Her Majesty's Pleasure.

Of course there are no red list countries at all so this is entirely superfluous...

island

Veteran Member
Transport operators are currently required to read out a statement from the government advising of the need to fill out a PLF and of the fact that red list returnees must quarantine at Her Majesty's Pleasure.

Of course there are no red list countries at all so this is entirely superfluous...
They didn’t bother reading it on my Ruinair flight to Gatwick on Sunday.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They didn’t bother reading it on my Ruinair flight to Gatwick on Sunday.
Compliance is certainly variable! But I've heard it several times on my last few trips back.

Seeing as operators are now obliged to check you've filled out your PLF correctly before letting you board, I struggle to see why the government feels this necessary. Then again, that could be said about most of the last 18 months' restrictions...

greyman42

Established Member
It doesn't seem to have been that widely reported but it seems the Government has committed to reviewing the travel restrictions in January.

This was reported in the BBC Live feed today (2nd story down) . To quote

I'm hoping this finally means an end to testing for fully vaccinated travellers (of course, whether fully vaccinated means "including booster" by January, we'll see).

Maybe if we're lucky the passenger locator form might go as well.
Probably part of Operation Rampdown.

P Binnersley

My local Quarantine hotel seems to be on "standby" mode. They still have cones and people in high viz, but the people seem a lot more relaxed. The hotel should now be empty.

Their website is taking bookings from 1st February 2022. Two other quarantine hotels I know have already re-opened.

danm14

Ireland has quietly, without announcement, revoked the legal requirement for unvaccinated arrivals from the UK (and other non-EU countries) to quarantine on arrival.

This requirement was lifted for EU arrivals in July, but retained for non-EU (incl. UK) arrivals until earlier this month.

The only requirements now are a Passenger Locator Form; and one of proof of vaccination, recovery, or a negative PCR test.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
We were going to go to Munich and Salzburg next week, which obv isn't going to happen now.

What are the livelihoods of full lockdowns, market closures etc elsewhere in the country?

Cologne and Hamburg are being considered. How easy is entry to Germany, return to UK etc. We are all double vacced.

If not Germany, where else can anyone recommend please for Winter markets in Europe?

Is consensus that it is better to stay put, or is travel to some places pretty straightforward?

Any general tips and advice welcome. Seasoned traveller I'm ordinary times, but never abroad during Covid 19.

TIA.

WestRiding

We're off to Hamburg on16th December, but I'm not hopeful it will happen. Also down to go to Krakow in Poland this Saturday, I'm hoping I manage to get there. 2 years of my life wasted already being stuck in this country. Sick of it. Same as you, seasoned traveller, usually.

duncanp

Established Member
I am in France at the moment.

President Macron is due to announce a "tightening" of restrictions tomorrow.

The French press are saying the this will involve "strengthening" the rules for the Pass Sanitaire and the wearing of masks, plus an expansion of the booster jab program, but no closures or lockdowns.

Going through passport control at St Pancras this morning, the immigration officer didn't look at my vaccination certificate at all.

Just as well that Olaf Scholz is the new German chancellor.

Frau Merkel would have introduced a re week lockdown for the whole of Germany.

Angela Merkel reportedly wanted to impose a new coronavirus lockdown on Germany -- but was thwarted by the incoming government.

Mrs Merkel summoned Olaf Scholz and the leaders of the new government parties to the chancellery late on Tuesday night, hours before they agreed a coalition deal.

She pressed them to agree to a two-week full lockdown for all of Germany, but they refused, according to Bild newspaper.

Instead they are set to form a new taskforce to tackle the crisis and focus on vaccination.

"Vaccination is the way out of this pandemic," Mr Scholz told a press conference to unveil the new coalition deal.

Last edited:

MikeWM

Established Member
The French press are saying the this will involve "strengthening" the rules for the Pass Sanitaire and the wearing of masks, plus an expansion of the booster jab program, but no closures or lockdowns.

Ah, the 'well, that failed miserably, clearly the solution is to do a bit more of it' approach. Yet again.

Yew

Established Member
I am in France at the moment.

President Macron is due to announce a "tightening" of restrictions tomorrow.
Didn't the french never really get down to releasing any, they're still strapping useless snot-rags to the faces at every opportunity.

Butts

Veteran Member
Is it worth doing the 2 Day LF tests on return to the UK ?

I did one coming back from Germany and one from Greece and submitted the results (passed both)

I have heard nothing since, had I not done them would anything have happened ?

Is the system linked up to spot people who have defaulted ?

KeithMcC

I very much doubt it unless there are random spot checks. Anecdotally I have been told that once you have paid for your first test and have a reference number than you can keep using that number for the PLF forms on every following trip, although I haven't tried it and to save £20 it seemed like a bit too much risk.

kristiang85

Established Member
Is it worth doing the 2 Day LF tests on return to the UK ?

I did one coming back from Germany and one from Greece and submitted the results (passed both)

I have heard nothing since, had I not done them would anything have happened ?

I couldn't be bothered doing one once, and never heard a thing.

WestRiding

They're only interested in seeing that anyone has one booked. Got mine in the draw for return from Poland, I'm not intending actually doing it. If anyone asks at a later date, I tried doing it but oh, so many problems with the Internet etc and now the time has gone...... Really not interested.

Butts

Veteran Member

If all you need is the number and there are no repercussions for failing to do anything else other than entering this on the PLF , how come this has not been highlighted in the media ...."Test Scandal" - et al ?

Status
Not open for further replies.