• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
R/e masks on flights, probably with us for months yet, I would imagine the first non-mask flights would be strictly domestic within the UK. Maybe early summer?

I'm hoping that by spring there will be no covid red tape for pax travelling to the Channel Islands, other than proof of full vaccination, and by summer even that will have gone. Otherwise are we gonna have to prove our status for years to come, forcing us to have each and every booster? I will, but somewhere along the line I'm bound to miss one and didn't realise!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
I think it’s likely that that will never happen.

I’ve been looking into visiting some European countries this evening. Some of the mask rules seem very onerous. In Italy you have to wear a mask at all times in public, in Spain and Portugal is similar, and in Greece you have to wear two masks on public transport and some other places, and one of them must be an FFP2. Hardly feels conducive to a relaxing holiday.
When I was in Spain last years masks were still mandatory in all indoor settings. And whilst this was largely complied with in shops, bars and restaurants where you were supposed to wear them when moving around was almost universally ignored.

As for masks being made a permanent thing on flights, I think this won't happen. Many low cost airlines rely on us buying food and drink onboard as part of their business model, so as countries start to relax so these companies are likely to follow, which in turn will encourage other carriers to follow suit.

KeithMcC

When I was in Spain last years masks were still mandatory in all indoor settings. And whilst this was largely complied with in shops, bars and restaurants where you were supposed to wear them when moving around was almost universally ignored.

As for masks being made a permanent thing on flights, I think this won't happen. Many low cost airlines rely on us buying food and drink onboard as part of their business model, so as countries start to relax so these companies are likely to follow, which in turn will encourage other carriers to follow suit.
On the other hand, some might consider buying something when they normally wouldn't - so they can then slowly drink/eat and have a reason not to wear their mask. So on-board sales may have increased!
BA have stopped their on-board sales and just provide water and a snack again, so they may want to have them back.

island

Veteran Member
Part of Ruinair's current website blurb for pre-selling on-board meals and snacks is that you get to spend some time with your mask off.

nw1

Established Member
It’s on the foreign office website for travelling in Greece, I have no better frame of reference. Not sure when the rule was brought in, but wearing two face masks outside in the heat of Greece in summer doesn’t sound overly appealing.
It was recently, just before Christmas I believe. I suspect the rule will be relaxed again well before it gets seriously hot from around June onwards, given Omicron's downward trajectory.

Maybe, but for international travel I can see it being in place forever.
Very, very doubtful. Will Covid be a threat 'forever' ?

I suspect that once Covid dies down as a potentially serious illness (which is already starting to happen) masks on planes will be relaxed. I'd expect them to still be there as a relatively non-intrusive precaution this summer (even though I expect Covid serious illness rates to be very low by summer), but probably disappear sometime after that and certainly by spring 2023.

island

Veteran Member
Theresa May asked in the Commons whether day 2 testing could be looked at again. Boris said Grant Shapps would be making a statement on it in the coming days

Bikeman78

Established Member
On the other hand, some might consider buying something when they normally wouldn't - so they can then slowly drink/eat and have a reason not to wear their mask. So on-board sales may have increased!
BA have stopped their on-board sales and just provide water and a snack again, so they may want to have them back.
Recent trips on GWR have seen groups bringing fizzy wine or crates of beer/cider. This isn't late at night, this is at 0900 on a Saturday morning! The coffee trolley seems to do a good trade too. It would be interesting to compare sales with two years ago. As for airlines, other posts prove what a farce it is. Covid is a health threat until the airline wants to make a profit from selling drinks, then it doesn't matter.

Mainline421

This looks promising! https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...082d5471705795#block-61e8ae858f082d5471705795
The World Health Organization has recommended lifting or easing international traffic bans, citing the ineffectiveness of the measures to suppress the spread of the Omicron variant.

The UN health agency recently updated its international health regulations recommendations during an emergency committee meeting on Wednesday.

Recommendations included to “lift or ease international traffic bans as they do not provide added value and continue to contribute to the economic and social stress” of some countries.
The failure of travel restrictions introduced after the detection and reporting of Omicron variant to limit international spread of Omicron demonstrates the ineffectiveness of such measures over time.

Travel measures such as masking, testing, isolation/quarantine and vaccination should be based on risk assessments and avoid placing the financial burden on international travellers, according to their recommendations.

LAX54

Established Member
It says in the Daily Mail today (so it must be true) that the UK are dropping the Day 2 tests when you return the UK from Monday, if you are vaccinated.

nw1

Established Member
It says in the Daily Mail today (so it must be true) that the UK are dropping the Day 2 tests when you return the UK from Monday, if you are vaccinated.

Makes sense, though as you say, it's the Daily Mail, so who knows.

First of all it can legitimately be a Day One test or even a Day Zero test, so you can step off the plane (the most likely place to catch it), take a Day Two test immediately, and you're done.

That's before we get into questions of the form "what exactly are we defending the UK from, which is not already here?" One may as well have compulsory tests to check that you haven't imported Common Wasps from overseas.

Mainline421

Switzerland are also dropping tests for vaccinated arrivals, and dropping the PLF unless arriving by Air or Coach (now don't need to fill one out arriving by rail or any other method).

LAX54

Established Member
Switzerland are also dropping tests for vaccinated arrivals, and dropping the PLF unless arriving by Air or Coach (now don't need to fill one out arriving by rail or any other method).
So is the World, slowly beginning to realise that the virus, is actually going nowhere in the next umpteen years, and think, we cannot go on this way ? Although I do understand that for some, who do have health issues it maybe a bit worrying, A friend who is well into her 80's, and in 'so-so' health, says I know it's worrying to some, but, I only have a finite number of years left, and I do not want to spend it locked in my home, or restricted in what I can and cannot do.

Makes sense, though as you say, it's the Daily Mail, so who knows.

First of all it can legitimately be a Day One test or even a Day Zero test, so you can step off the plane (the most likely place to catch it), take a Day Two test immediately, and you're done.

That's before we get into questions of the form "what exactly are we defending the UK from, which is not already here?" One may as well have compulsory tests to check that you haven't imported Common Wasps from overseas.
yes, last one (only one !) I took, we got off the boat at Harwich at 1945, home at 2015, test at 2100, after a cup of tea, clear at 2130 ! :)

Just seen on the news, if fully vaccinated, no longer a need for the Day 2 Covid test when coming back to the UK :)

:)

Last edited:

danm14

It is going to be 3, but whether it is currently I do not know.
It is not currently three doses, and while it is expected to become three doses in future, the scrapping of post-arrival testing will initially apply to people with two doses.

There is currently no circumstance where those who have received three doses are treated differently from those who have received two doses, other than to access domestic events in Scotland.

Berliner

England and Scotland both now confirmed to be dropping the post arrival tests for fully vaccinated people as of 0400 on 11th February.

Just Wales and NI to decide now.

seagull

Certainly hope it gets easier quickly for multiple destinations: partly as it's a long time now since I've been abroad, and partly because parts of this country were ridiculously and uncomfortably crammed last summer with tourists, so am hoping that might ease a little this year.

kristiang85

Established Member
I'm off to Belgium on the Eurostar a couple of times in Feb - has anybody had experience of the testing on arrival at Bruxelles Midi?

- Is it still free?
- How long do the results take?

LAX54

Established Member
Here is the Government announcement of the removal of testing from 11.02.22, also changes for non vaccinated travellers too.

• From 4am on 11 February all testing requirements will be removed for eligible fully vaccinated arrivals, with only a Passenger Locator Form (PLF) now required.
  • Arrivals who are not recognised as fully vaccinated will only need to take a pre-departure test and a PCR test on or before day 2 after they arrive in the UK.
  • Children aged 12-15 in England will be able to prove their vaccination status or proof of prior infection via a digital NHS COVID Pass from 3 February for outbound travel.
  • Travel changes come in ahead of February half term, and follow the success of the booster programme.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm off to Belgium on the Eurostar a couple of times in Feb - has anybody had experience of the testing on arrival at Bruxelles Midi?

- Is it still free?
- How long do the results take?

I'm looking to go to Paris at the end of February, via Eurostar, and I wonder if they'll be introducing more services (as well as all the airlines rapidly restoring their timetables)?

I guess we need to watch what EU states decide to do for us visiting them.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Which countries, at present, require no test for entry?

This will mean that, very soon, return trips abroad will be possible without testing.

joncombe

This will mean that, very soon, return trips abroad will be possible without testing.
In terms of Europe I had a quick look last week and think that was the case for the following:-

• Croatia
  • Malta
  • Finland
  • Luxembourg
  • Switzerland (just announced)
  • Spain (sort of)
I think with Spain there is no requirement to take a test before but you can be selected to take a test on arrival.

danm14

Ireland, provided you're fully vaccinated (two doses if the most recent was in the past 270 days, three otherwise) or recovered (positive test in the past 180 days).

If you don't meet the criteria, it's one PCR test before leaving, no isolation or tests after arrival, and no requirements at all to return regardless of vaccination status.

Proof of vaccination is no longer required for anything domestically, the only restriction remaining is mandatory masks.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In terms of Europe I had a quick look last week and think that was the case for the following:-

• Croatia
  • Malta
  • Finland
  • Luxembourg
  • Spain (sort of)
I think with Spain there is no requirement to take a test before but you can be selected to take a test on arrival.

Austria as well from today if you have had the booster.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

• Croatia
  • Malta
  • Finland
  • Luxembourg
  • Spain (sort of)

Germany (if fully vaccinated)?

Status
Not open for further replies.