• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAX54

Established Member
So reading the 'Green' traffic light rules, it does not seem very green to me ! and as has been said, the Government from today dishing out millions of home tests for free.
Now if these tests were valid for the Green Traffic light, that would be better, at least one way !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
Still struggling with this Green List concept. Does it take into account whether the destination country has actually agreed to let visitors in? It really should, but I'm not really confident that the government has any notion of joined-up thinking.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The papers today are suggesting a backlash about the costs of the mandatory tests required even for Green List countries and that the Government may provide one of them for free. There is also the comment that there will be a review at the end of June. There will also be a list of countries at risk of moving off the green list to hopefully provide some pre warning of changes. I hope the test requirement goes for the green list at the review in June but not confident it will.
First priority should be to ensure on or before 21st June we get to the point of no masks, no testing no vaccine passports. This pandering to middle class Tories who want to holiday in Tuscany etc needs to be second priority and not even entertained until those countries have reached a level of vaccination and virus elimination equal or better than the UK.

LAX54

Established Member
Still struggling with this Green List concept. Does it take into account whether the destination country has actually agreed to let visitors in? It really should, but I'm not really confident that the government has any notion of joined-up thinking.
The USA for example, is on a par with the UK for jabs, but of course entry is barred, so our lot saying (if they do !) that the U.S has a green light, will be incorrect, sort of a SPAD waiting to happen ! lol

Bantamzen

Established Member
First priority should be to ensure on or before 21st June we get to the point of no masks, no testing no vaccine passports. This pandering to middle class Tories who want to holiday in Tuscany etc needs to be second priority and not even entertained until those countries have reached a level of vaccination and virus elimination equal or better than the UK.
There are a lot of jobs in the UK & for UK residents that rely on people travelling abroad, so it is as much a priority as letting people get their hair cut. So long as we maintain a good pace with vaccination, it doesn't matter that other countries might be behind us.

duncanp

Established Member
Ireland is part of The Common Travel Area so you shouldn't face any problems, by August I doubt there will be any testing or other requirements for the USA as it's vaccination rate is progressing well.

Is it not a lot dearer flying from Birmingham ? I suppose at least you clear immigration in Dublin.

I was due to fly from Birmingham direct to Orlando on May 17th but luckily was able to cancel free of penalty due to the Hotel that formed part of my package being closed.

The price for flying from Birmingham is about the same, but the big advantage as you say is clearing US immigration in Dublin before you board the plane, so no waiting in a long queue once you land.

I will be stopping over for 24 hours in Dublin on the way out, so I will have to check what the requirements are for the Irish Republic.

Hopefully they will accept proof of vaccination rather than this silly testing malarkey.

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member

I'd be grateful if you could expand on your "This pandering to middle class Tories who want to holiday in Tuscany etc" Are you actually saying that it's only these "middle class Tories" that are bleating about going abroad or am I failing to understand your point?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I'd be grateful if you could expand on your "This pandering to middle class Tories who want to holiday in Tuscany etc" Are you actually saying that it's only these "middle class Tories" that are bleating about going abroad or am I failing to understand your point?
I think so.

I think they couldn't be further from the truth. People from ALL classes and backgrounds are banging on about holidays of varying levels from benidorm lash up to a Kenyan luxury safari. Everyone wants a holiday that I speak to.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I think so.

I think they couldn't be further from the truth. People from ALL classes and backgrounds are banging on about holidays of varying levels from benidorm lash up to a Kenyan luxury safari. Everyone wants a holiday that I speak to.
And why wouldn't people want one? We've had more than a year of this crap, a lot of us need a break away from it all.

ExRes

Established Member
And why wouldn't people want one? We've had more than a year of this crap, a lot of us need a break away from it all.

That's not what I asked, if loads of people want a holiday abroad then what do 'middle class Tories' have to do with anything?

Ianno87

Veteran Member

I think so.

That's not what I asked, if loads of people want a holiday abroad then what do 'middle class Tories' have to do with anything?

Gentle reminder that this is not all about holidays on the beach. Some people have relatives overseas.

Butts

Veteran Member

Or Middle Class Labour Voters either, I'm sure they are just as keen to get to their Tuscan hideaways as Tory ones.

Butts

Veteran Member
And a gentle reminder that it wasn't me who wrote about 'middle class Tories who want to holiday in Tuscany'

I believe one Nicholas Lewis was the guilty party.

He is obviously deluded, thinking that only Tories have pads in Tuscany and other foreign hotspots.

LAX54

Established Member
The Government can decide that Spain or America etc is on 'our' green list, and are happy for people to travel there, (hence the green). BUT of course said Country may still block anyone going into that Country, which would not be a UK issue per se. (But, being on a green llst, if they changed their rules, people from the UK could go there straight away and not wait for an aspect change in the traffic light)

There are a good few here that are eager to get away to Florida, Nevada...California, just waiting for ... the green light ! :)

Butts

Veteran Member
The Government can decide that Spain or America etc is on 'our' green list, and are happy for people to travel there, (hence the green). BUT of course said Country may still block anyone going into that Country, which would not be a UK issue per se. (But, being on a green llst, if they changed their rules, people from the UK could go there straight away and not wait for an aspect change in the traffic light)

Apparently the Americans are saying 10 Days after the second dose of vaccine there should be no need for further restrictions in contrast to the UK's position.

LAX54

Established Member
Apparently the Americans are saying 10 Days after the second dose of vaccine there should be no need for further restrictions in contrast to the UK's position.
Is that not what was said here...many months ago, but said golaposts have moved .........to a different field ? :)

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
1618001791385.png
Not much of Europe is looking too good today except Spain/Portugal although as no EU country is on the Red list currently you could infer if nothing changes they would be Amber. However, like the UK roadmap from 22/2, this taskforce report lacks any detail about how they will assign which colour to which countries and they aren't going to say anymore till end of Month. Jet2 have pulled all their schedules today upto 23rd June so they clearly aren't convinced. Interestingly though Portugal was on the Red list up to about a month ago it now has one of the lowest rates across the EU that looks reasonable bet and its not doing any better in the vaccination stakes.

TravelDream

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has been very clear.

Two weeks after receiving both doses of the vaccine, or one for the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, you can travel without restrictions. That is for both domestic and international travel.
They say you can travel test free domestically and 'recommend' a Covid test before traveling and a few days after arrival if flying internationally. They still recommend mask-wearing and social distancing where possible.

And don't forget, this is the Biden administration CDC and not the Trump administration CDC. I think they are probably being pretty cautious, but looking and the scientific and economic reality.

How refreshing in comparison to our government.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has been very clear.

Two weeks after receiving both doses of the vaccine, or one for the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, you can travel without restrictions. That is for both domestic and international travel.
They say you can travel test free domestically and 'recommend' a Covid test before traveling and a few days after arrival if flying internationally. They still recommend mask-wearing and social distancing where possible.

And don't forget, this is the Biden administration CDC and not the Trump administration CDC. I think they are probably being pretty cautious, but looking and the scientific and economic reality.

How refreshing in comparison to our government.
Its ironic they get rid of someone who was verging on being Covid denier at times and replaced with someone promoting more caution yet we get a sensible outcome based on data and scientific evidence not political necessity. Boris caution isn't going to wane i fear, and pressure from opposers will be suppressed for a few days given yesterdays announcement, but I can't see him deviating from the plan either. Most of the world will end up as Amber come early May as Europe's infections are largely down to the "Kent Variant" which the medics seem reasonable content the vaccines will deal with and the other variants of concern aren't gaining traction hence no reason to add any to the Red list.

Farang

Being an island no longer automatically equals protection, unless quite literally nobody is allowed on or off it. But that was not my point, if they accept that prior infection as a means for entry, what about the people who have had the virus but we're not aware of it. They will have to take the vaccine even though they would be accepted by the Icelandic government as having enough immunity, but no papers to prove it.

When you sit back and think about it, the whole thing is a bit daft.
Letting people who say they have immunity but can't prove it would be dafter. It'd be like putting Nicholas Parsons in charge of immigration.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I'm waiting for that to be the next justification for continuing this farcical campaign to 'beat the virus'
We have to wait on either global eradication or scientists to develop a vaccine with 100% efficacy no doubt...

Butts

Veteran Member
Looks like my trip to Belfast on May 21st has been well and truly shafted - not technically abroad but across the water !!

Hotels not reopening until May 24th the day we are due to leave.

Thought we were behind in Scotland but NI are further even adrift, took my eye off the ball.

Will just have to sit back and wait for BA to cancel :frown:

Butts

Veteran Member
BA from Scotland to NI?

LHR .... will be down south with my Son.

Stop press I have just booked over the course of the day a further 8 Trips most of which are BA Club Europe from Edinburgh to various destinations via LHR/LCY.

Starting off in Dublin in June and ending in Athens in November via Italy, Czech Republic, Germany, Romania, Bulgaria and Turkey over the months.

Hopefully I am going from BA Blue to Gold over the course of 6 months.

Next year I will revert to peasant class and use my status for Lounge Access and hogging all the exit seats free of charge.

This has all been funded from my cancelled TUI Holiday to the USA which was due to depart May 17th.

I only hope my liver can cope with all The Malt's I will be imbibing.

Can highly recommend BA's offers and ultra flexible low deposits with the balance due three weeks before travel. If you cancel you get your £60/£120 deposit back and that's the end of your commitment. It comes in the form of a voucher to use on a future trip.

This means if they have a Sale before your balance is due you can cancel and rebook at the lower price using your voucher towards the balance.

Last edited:

TravelDream

This must be a joke. According to the model, only the USA, Gibraltar, Israel, Iceland, Ireland, Malta, and Australia and New Zealand will be on the green list.

The USA, Gibraltar, Israel and Iceland will be among only eight countries on the Government’s “green” list for safe travel from May 17, according to modelling for the industry.

The analysis, based on the Government’s four “risk” criteria for travel, suggests the only other countries will be Ireland, Malta, and Australia and New Zealand - both of which are currently closed to foreign arrivals.

The research, by Robert Boyle, former strategy chief at BA and its owner IAG, confirms government indications that only a handful of “green” countries are likely to be approved for quarantine-free holidays when ministers plan to lift the ban on non-essential foreign travel on May 17.

Significantly, nearly all of Europe is either on the amber list, requiring home quarantine of 10 days, or even the red list, where arrivals have to hotel quarantine at a cost of £1,750 per person.

Countries that should be red based on the criteria are France, Turkey, Holland, Croatia, Sweden, Belgium and Luxembourg - but are unlikely to be classed as such for political and economic reasons.

The research places the big tourist markets of Spain, Greece, Italy and Cyprus on amber due to their high Covid rates but it says they could still turn green by the Government’s review date of June 28.
Australia and New Zealand have said no foreign tourists until 2022 at least. The US, Ireland and Israel ban foreigners from traveling there for tourism at the moment, but may open up for the summer to some. The others might have restrictions too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This must be a joke. According to the model, only the USA, Gibraltar, Israel, Iceland, Ireland, Malta, and Australia and New Zealand will be on the green list.

Australia and New Zealand have said no foreign tourists until 2022 at least. The US, Ireland and Israel ban foreigners from traveling there for tourism at the moment, but may open up for the summer to some. The others might have restrictions too.
Well that's ok then. You have the choice of Iceland, Malta or Gibraltar for your summer holidays...

TravelDream

Well that's ok then. You have the choice of Iceland, Malta or Gibraltar for your summer holidays...
OK, I just checked those.

Malta has the UK on its red list banning travel.
Gibraltar doesn't allow entry for tourism.

So you're only option is Iceland. But! They ban travel for anyone who hasn't had both vaccines so only a limited few at the moment.

For me, that means nowhere for my summer hols. Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.