• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Where have people here gone (or are planning to go) for their tests? I'm interested in tests before arriving in the UK as well as tests two days after arrival.
You "only" need a lateral flow test to enter the UK, which you can do by videocall whilst abroad. Book a pack of tests before you go, if necessary one for when you enter the foreign country and another for the return. Breathe Assured seem to be amongst the cheapest providers for that; with an airline discount code it's £68 for two tests.

For the day 2 (PCR) test, I would just choose the cheapest provider you can find - the only vital bit is that you can prove a booking at the border. Randox seems to do the job at £43 with an airline discount code. There are reports of them being unreliable but this doesn't matter as there is no real penalty for failing to take the test if you are a "green list" arrival.

In all, the testing will set you back at least £80 per person or so even for a "green list" arrival, which is a complete ripoff, but at least it's no longer as expensive as it used to be.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johncrossley

Established Member
You "only" need a lateral flow test to enter the UK, which you can do by videocall whilst abroad.

Does it have to be a videocall? This one

just lets you do the test at your own leisure and then you take a picture of your test with your passport and upload it to their website. This means that if you, for example, make a mistake and only swab your throat and not your nose, nobody will know. This is also only £25 a test.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Does it have to be a videocall? This one

just lets you do the test at your own leisure and then you take a picture of your test with your passport and upload it to their website. This means that if you, for example, make a mistake and only swab your throat and not your nose, nobody will know. This is also only £25 a test.
Good spot, I didn't think that such options were allowed. Only issue is the website admits they're struggling with demand and so you don't want to be in the position where they can't keep the appointment (or don't send the test out in time) and you end up missing your flight.

johncrossley

Established Member
There may be good options for this in holiday destinations, meaning it can be done on the spot without any worry. I may choose the holiday destination based on cheap, fast and convenient testing possibilities, so I'm particularly interested to find out about these.

Frankfurt airport, for example, does a rapid antigen test for 29/38 euros, with results within 150 minutes.

Rapid Antigen test​

Opening hours: daily 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.

• "Express-3" 29 € incl. VAT: Results within 150 minutes after sample receipt in 95 % of cases.
  • For an additional charge of 9€, there is the option to add identity verification on to your purchase. Your identification details, including your passport number/travel document details, will be included on the medical report – verifying that the test results belong to you and have not been tampered with. Please note that you need to present the original identification document for this service - printed or scanned copies cannot be accepted.

Please note for all test options: In some cases, for example if there is an uncertain result and the analysis must be repeated, the result may become available somewhat later. In August 2020, on average 95% of RT-PCR test results were reported within the stated turn-around-time.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Good spot, I didn't think that such options were allowed. Only issue is the website admits they're struggling with demand and so you don't want to be in the position where they can't keep the appointment (or don't send the test out in time) and you end up missing your flight.
Nothing in the UK regulations require the making of video calls.

It is for individual providers and their professional reputations (if any) to determine whether or not they are satisfied to issue a test certificate based on an unsupervised self-swab.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Nothing in the UK regulations require the making of video calls.

It is for individual providers and their professional reputations (if any) to determine whether or not they are satisfied to issue a test certificate based on an unsupervised self-swab.
You're quite correct. My point was more that the testing provider needs to be accredited, and that I was surprised that they passed accreditation when their process is (in a way) so lax. I suppose it's not all that different to how you can take PCR tests at home to be sent to a lab.

joncombe

Guernsey is introducing mandatory tests on arrival for all travellers (including double vaccinated) coming from the UK and Jersey, either a PCR test or supervised Lateral flow, which travellers are expected to pay for.

I had a trip booked there (refundable, thankfully) that I booked when they announced they were allowing entry from 1st July from the UK, with no testing or quarantine required if you have both vaccinations. So I think I will have to cancel that, which is disappointing.

Is there now anywhere you can travel to and return from without having to pay for tests and be forced to stick things up your nose? I think in terms of tests when arriving back to the UK the only places you can go that don't require tests is countries within the common travel area. I think both Jersey and Guernsey require tests now (or will do shortly). I think that just leaves Ireland and the Isle of Man. Is it possible to go to either without having to take any tests?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Guernsey is introducing mandatory tests on arrival for all travellers (including double vaccinated) coming from the UK and Jersey, either a PCR test or supervised Lateral flow, which travellers are expected to pay for.

I had a trip booked there (refundable, thankfully) that I booked when they announced they were allowing entry from 1st July from the UK, with no testing or quarantine required if you have both vaccinations. So I think I will have to cancel that, which is disappointing.

Is there now anywhere you can travel to and return from without having to pay for tests and be forced to stick things up your nose? I think in terms of tests when arriving back to the UK the only places you can go that don't require tests is countries within the common travel area. I think both Jersey and Guernsey require tests now (or will do shortly). I think that just leaves Ireland and the Isle of Man. Is it possible to go to either without having to take any tests?
If you are fully vaccinated you can travel to and from the Republic of Ireland without needing a test.

If you are fully vaccinated you can also travel to and from the Isle of Man without needing a test, but you must apply for a vaccine exemption certificate at least 36 hours before arrival. Unless you are an IoM resident, or fall into one of the limited categories of key workers etc. you can only travel to the IoM if you are fully vaccinated.

Jamiescott1

Not sure if the right thread but it dies relate to travel.

I returned from Spain on 19th July
Today I was text and emailed by nhs track and trace telling me to self isolate until 29th July.
Seeing as the passenger locator form is the only time I give correct details and that the time line matches it looks as though someone tested positive on my flight.

As spain was amber at the time (although if double jabbed you didn't need to isolate on return or take a day 8 test). Could this be someone who tested negative on a day 2 test but maybe aren't double jabbed so had to take aday 5 or 8 test and tested positive on a day 5 or 8 test?

island

Veteran Member
That is possible, also possible is they tested positive on the day 2 but it has taken ages to process – a friend of mine returning from France two weeks ago had his day 5 result back before the day 2!

LAX54

Established Member
I see on Monday the USA has said 'No' to re-opening it's borders with the EU and the UK, but the UK (and EU?) are looking at opening the route in the other direction.
The USA has cited the vast increase in infections in the EU and the UK.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I see on Monday the USA has said 'No' to re-opening it's borders with the EU and the UK, but the UK (and EU?) are looking at opening the route in the other direction.

Unless the arrangements are reciprocal they are pointless.

nlogax

Established Member
Considering Delta has been the dominant strain of Covid in the US for the last few weeks and another wave is in firmly progress it's hard to understand the logic here. No matter. Canada's reopening to foreign tourists from September 7th.

big_rig

On cue Labour have come out and said letting fully vaccinated people from the EU/US in without quarantine is "reckless." No comment on how long the current state of affairs should continue of course barring some handwaving.
Considering Delta has been the dominant strain of Covid in the US for the last few weeks and another wave is in firmly progress it's hard to understand the logic here. No matter. Canada's reopening to foreign tourists from September 7th.
Quite. India is still on our 'red list' of course, despite Delta being 99.9% or so of new cases in the UK, and India's daily cases being approx 90% lower than they were a month or so back. The obvious outcome of "The Science" meeting "The Politics."

island

Veteran Member
I do think they ought to have made access by US citizens conditional on a reciprocal arrangement, but that’s just me.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I do think they ought to have made access by US citizens conditional on a reciprocal arrangement, but that’s just me.
If they want to come to UK and spend money then I certainly don't have an issue with that!!

LAX54

Established Member
If they want to come to UK and spend money then I certainly don't have an issue with that!!
The reason we cant go there, is because Mr Biden says our infection rates are soaring, and it risks the USA, but I thought their figures were getting high too recently ?

Bantamzen

Established Member
The reason we cant go there, is because Mr Biden says our infection rates are soaring, and it risks the USA, but I thought their figures were getting high too recently ?
Bluster dear LAX, just bluster. Biden needs a distraction from the low numbers of vaccine take-up in some areas, so blame, ummm, the UK!!

johncrossley

Established Member
When do we think the requirement for tests when arriving from anywhere other than Ireland will end?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
When do we think the requirement for tests when arriving from anywhere other than Ireland will end?
When we have "beaten" Covid - i.e. never.

Until Joe Public starts truly accepting that Covid is something that must be lived with, not vainly fought against, nothing will change.

I think it will take it quite a significant event for people to change their opinion, and for that to eventually filter through to government policy.

Something along the lines of, I don't know, taxes rates going up by 10 percentage points, with the government (likely a different one) specifically linking this to the (over)reaction to Covid.

johncrossley

Established Member
When we have "beaten" Covid - i.e. never.

Until Joe Public starts truly accepting that Covid is something that must be lived with, not vainly fought against, nothing will change.

I think it will take it quite a significant event for people to change their opinion, and for that to eventually filter through to government policy.

Something along the lines of, I don't know, taxes rates going up by 10 percentage points, with the government (likely a different one) specifically linking this to the (over)reaction to Covid.

I was thinking that too, but on the other hand, there must be a huge number of people who are currently put off from travelling just because of the cost, hassle, worry (in case of missing a flight because of a delay to a test), and the general unpleasantness of having something being stuck up your nose.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My worry is that testing for international travel may now be with us forever at least whilst there is talk of "vaccine resistant variants" which inevitably all come from "abroad". :(

kristiang85

Established Member
My worry is that testing for international travel may now be with us forever at least whilst there is talk of "vaccine resistant variants" which inevitably all come from "abroad". :(

Remember when liquid checks were a temporary measure when they were implemented in 2006?

Virus testing will probably be part of air travel for a long time to come now, sadly. Too many people are making money out of it, and it suits government agendas to put people off flying.

I feel I sound incredibly cynical typing this, but I genuinely can't see when it will all end.

Butts

Veteran Member

It is going to be seriously busy in Florida when the borders do open - you've got two years postponed holidays to Disney and Universal from Brits.

johncrossley

Established Member
Ireland had very strict rules on international travel, among the most strict in Europe, but now their double vaccinated are better off than us in two ways. Now they can go almost anywhere in Europe thanks to their EU Covid certificate which has better recognition than the NHS one, and they don't need testing when they get home.

Mintona

Established Member
Booked to go to Munich in February and Seattle late March. Rather optimistic at this point I fear.

Still got no idea how all the testing stuff works. I’m hoping it’ll be open to double vaxxed people by then but I doubt it.

Smidster

It is certainly the testing stuff and vaccine passports that are putting me off from even thinking about looking at breaks over the Winter / Early 2022.

Holidays are meant to be relaxing - having to get stuff poked up your nose / down your throat or worrying about whether or not you have the right app to enter a Cafe really doesn't strike as being my idea of a fun time.

TravelDream

Booked to go to Munich in February and Seattle late March. Rather optimistic at this point I fear.

Still got no idea how all the testing stuff works. I’m hoping it’ll be open to double vaxxed people by then but I doubt it.

Both a long way off so it's impossible to tell. TBH, I wouldn't book anything that wasn't short notice given how much things change rapidly.
There's obviously going to be some sort of winter surge in cases. Respiratory viruses always do better in the winter when people spend a lot more time indoors with others with the windows shut instead of being outside. Who knows how that will affect policy? Nobody - not even the politicians and experts.

Testing is certainly coming down in price though for those in England. The Day 2 PCR test is now available for around £25 for people able to collect them in person from certain companies.
Those of us in Wales and Scotland are still forced to use the NHS tests - but pay £88 for the day 2 test alone.
When people self-administer, do they really do it as well as it should be? I think most people would stick it in as far as it's comfortable and no more.

Last edited:

Mintona

Established Member
I wasn’t planning on booking anything at all but the wife had other ideas. She assures me it is all fully refundable if unable to travel.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we’re never able to travel restriction/test free again tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.