• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
Anyone here got any recommendations for PCR fit to travel tests that are ultra reliable in terms of results timing? Sorting it out before a trip a couple of weeks from now, and the 'result within 72 hours of flight' thing needs to be bang on. Ta.
There is a test centre at St. Pancras which guarantees result by midnight on day of test for in person PCR tests taken before 3pm. £99.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cdd89

Established Member
There is a test centre at St. Pancras which guarantees result by midnight on day of test for in person PCR tests taken before 3pm. £99.
Interesting - though looking at the details it indicates that price is only for Eurostar customers. No idea if it’s actually enforced of course…

adc82140

Established Member
Interesting - though looking at the details it indicates that price is only for Eurostar customers. No idea if it’s actually enforced of course…
Doubt that they'd get much business if they enforced it. France is fred to enter without a test, only Belgium is insisting.

nlogax

Established Member
Are you sure you need a PCR test for where you're going? Most places will accept a lateral flow test.

Canada, so lateral flow not accepted if I understand it correctly.

Thanks for that suggestion. May well be a good option :)

Richard Scott

Established Member
Canada, so lateral flow not accepted if I understand it correctly.

Thanks for that suggestion. May well be a good option :)
You can also book tests at Boots, if there's one local to you. They do get booked up so sort well in advance. Cost me £85.

Butts

Veteran Member
Got into Ireland again with no physical checks in Edinburgh, London or Dublin of any Vaccination Paperwork.

Just whizzed through the e-gates at Dublin Passport Control.

Are UK Passports electronically matched to Irish PLF forms to obviate the need for physical checks and the fact you have declared you are fully jabbed taken on trust ?

island

Veteran Member
Got into Ireland again with no physical checks in Edinburgh, London or Dublin of any Vaccination Paperwork.

Just whizzed through the e-gates at Dublin Passport Control.

Are UK Passports electronically matched to Irish PLF forms to obviate the need for physical checks and the fact you have declared you are fully jabbed taken on trust ?
You don’t need to enter your passport detail on the PLF if travelling within the CTA, so I imagine not.

As they say in Ireland, “it’ll all be grand”.

Dr Day

Anyone on here aware of any repercussions in practice for not returning a Day 2 test? My brother bought one on-line (Randox) and used the code on the PLF for re-entry into the UK, however found on opening the box they didn't offer return by Royal Mail, the nearest drop-box was 50-odd miles away and he wasn't prepared to pay for a special courier so never bothered doing the actual test. Now worried if goes abroad again may not be allowed back in or face a hefty fine (the official guidance just mentions a vague 'you may be fined'). Something to factor in for choice of test provider.

island

Veteran Member
He has already committed an offence and if it is detected, which seems unlikely, he would potentially be issued an FPN or prosecuted.

kristiang85

Established Member
Anyone on here aware of any repercussions in practice for not returning a Day 2 test? My brother bought one on-line (Randox) and used the code on the PLF for re-entry into the UK, however found on opening the box they didn't offer return by Royal Mail, the nearest drop-box was 50-odd miles away and he wasn't prepared to pay for a special courier so never bothered doing the actual test. Now worried if goes abroad again may not be allowed back in or face a hefty fine (the official guidance just mentions a vague 'you may be fined'). Something to factor in for choice of test provider.

I didn't bother returning my day 2 test. If I ever get asked at the border (very unlikely), I'll just say I posted it and never got the result.

I've kept the test kit and will use that for something else.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I believe it's a summary-only offence, so if it doesn't get detected in the next 6 months, he can't be prosecuted.

If he is a British citizen (or otherwise has the right to abode here) then he cannot be denied entry even if they knew he had committed an offence.

In all likelihood, I think they have their hands full enough dealing with people who don't fill out the PLF, or fill it out incorrectly, or do any one of another million offences which the International Travel Regs have created.

Bantamzen

Established Member
So got back yesterday from my first trip back abroad in almost 2 years. Passport, vaccine cert and Spanish locator form checked briefly at check-in. Both flights (Jet2 Leeds-Bradford <> Malaga) were great, sure bloody masks needed but many of the passengers made sure they made use of the trolley service so use was sporadic. On arrival at AGP we were through immigration, and health check in minutes, the fastest I've ever been through Malaga airport ever!

Out and about in Spain, masks still mandated for indoors and public transport, but there are signs this is beginning to wain. Certainly wasn't once challenged walking into restaurants and bars, though shops were still quite strict. And best of all there were no people throwing themselves into roads to avoid getting near other people, social distancing had all but gone, and there was nowhere near as much use of signs, stickers, tape everywhere. Throw in the Spanish sun, food & wine and it was all very relaxed. A much needed break.

On the way home, well let's just say if you are travelling from an amber country, give yourself lots of extra time & make sure you fill everything in. They do check everything at checkout, and one mistake could have you missing your flight (although in fairness Jet2 had reps on hand in case people needed help. Luckily for us there was no queue when we arrived, and so it took about 10 minutes for all the paperwork to be checked and boarding cards issued. Then it was almost a hour at security, and of course this being Malaga a 15 minutes wait at border control. Thankfully we had given ourselves a good 3 and a half hours, so we could still enjoy a couple of drinks before boarding. But it is worth knowing that check-ins will be far longer at many airlines.

The one surprise I got back at LBA was just how efficient they were. A quick check of the passport, a check that the locator form online was correct and away we went. Less than 5 minutes!!

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
So got back yesterday from my first trip back abroad in almost 2 years. Passport, vaccine cert and Spanish locator form checked briefly at check-in. Both flights (Jet2 Leeds-Bradford <> Malaga) were great, sure bloody masks needed but many of the passengers made sure they made use of the trolley service so use was sporadic. On arrival at AGP we were through immigration, and health check in minutes, the fastest I've ever been through Malaga airport ever!

Out and about in Spain, masks still mandated for indoors and public transport, but there are signs this is beginning to wain. Certainly wasn't once challenged walking into restaurants and bars, though shops were still quite strict. And best of all there were no people throwing themselves into roads to avoid getting near other people, social distancing had all but gone, and there was nowhere near as much use of signs, stickers, tape everywhere. Throw in the Spanish sun, food & wine and it was all very relaxed. A much needed break.

On the way home, well let's just say if you are travelling from an amber country, give yourself lots of extra time & make sure you fill everything in. They do check everything at checkout, and one mistake could have you missing your flight (although in fairness Jet2 had reps on hand in case people needed help. Luckily for us there was no queue when we arrived, and so it took about 10 minutes for all the paperwork to be checked and boarding cards issued. Then it was almost a hour at security, and of course this being Malaga a 15 minutes wait at border control. Thankfully we had given ourselves a good 3 and a half hours, so we could still enjoy a couple of drinks before boarding. But it is worth knowing that check-ins will be far longer at many airlines.

The one surprise I got back at LBA was just how efficient they were. A quick check of the passport, a check that the locator form online was correct and away we went. Less than 5 minutes!!

When I returned from the Spain, I was even able to use the ePassport gates!

Good to hear that you had a great time in Spain. I did as well. I can't wait to go to Italy this December if everything goes well

kevin_roche

Just got back from a trip to Lanzerote.

On the way there, Easyjet staff visually checked my Vaccine Certificate, Spanish Passenger Locator, and passport before I was allowed to drop my hold bag off.

On arrival at Lanzarote the Spanish Passenger Locator form was scanned. After the scan they seemed to be sorting people into two groups, those who passed straight on and those who needed further checks. I passed straight through so no idea what the further checks were.

I got my lateral flow test a couple of days ago with EuroFin at Lanzarote airport and it was Negative. It was linked to my passport number when I completed the UK Passenger Locator form, yesterday.

At the check-in gate today they only asked for my passport. On arrival, I went through the e_gates at Gatwick without any further checks.

Smidster

Perhaps a small chink of light on the horizon if we get rid of testing requirements to come home.

Expect quite a lot of announcements next week on things like travel as well as testing and vaccine passports for the next 6 months.

I will still be really cautious though - I would always be worrying about the rules changing and being locked up for two weeks in a terrible hotel.

big_rig

Relatively welcome change I guess, though in practice the amber and green lists mean effectively the same thing to vaccinated travellers, and I can't imagine them ever putting anywhere in Europe on the red list. I'm not sure they will get rid of testing but will probably promote the use of cheaper antigen tests when returning over PCR. I'm not sure the fine print actually requires a PCR on return anymore but they might make that more explicit which reduces the cost by half or so, which is still silly but anything is an improvement really!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I can't imagine them ever putting anywhere in Europe on the red list
They've already done so a few times. I don't think there's any real consideration of the effect of such restrictions on trade or the economy.

'm not sure they will get rid of testing but will probably promote the use of cheaper antigen tests when returning over PCR. I'm not sure the fine print actually requires a PCR on return anymore but they might make that more explicit which reduces the cost by half or so, which is still silly but anything is an improvement really!
You have never needed a PCR for the return journey itself, only for the day 2 test. Of course as you say, they may advertise this fact more widely if they want to be 'seen' to be doing something.

Cdd89

Established Member
My prediction is that we’ll end up with Amber -> Amber Plus -> Red, with testing removed from Amber (and vaccine free travel removed entirely).

Free (NHS) random testing could be provided to a small percentage of arrivals from each country, to allow for variant sequencing. We only sequence 5% of positives anyway, so offer to 5% and sequence 100% of positives.

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A big thing is furlough ending soon - they cannot be seen to continue to burden the travel industry with restrictions which would then lead to job losses.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Perhaps a small chink of light on the horizon if we get rid of testing requirements to come home.

Expect quite a lot of announcements next week on things like travel as well as testing and vaccine passports for the next 6 months.

I will still be really cautious though - I would always be worrying about the rules changing and being locked up for two weeks in a terrible hotel.

Hopefully, in December, I will be able to go to Italy without the need of quarantine on the way back.

kristiang85

Established Member
I'm currently planning my October trip to France, Andorra, Switzerland and the Middle East, and nervously waiting to see if Turkey will go amber next week before I can book anything.

If not, I'm going to have to go via Qatar, which will add a few hundred pounds and many hours to my flight times :(

big_rig

They've already done so a few times. I don't think there's any real consideration of the effect of such restrictions on trade or the economy.

You have never needed a PCR for the return journey itself, only for the day 2 test. Of course as you say, they may advertise this fact more widely if they want to be 'seen' to be doing something.
Ah, sorry yes I meant 'day 2' by 'returning' - should know after having paid for a few of the things recently! Ah, where in Europe (I am thinking 'the EU') has been on red previously? I can't think of anywhere off the top of my head except for when there was the de-facto ban on all travel!

joncombe

Ah, sorry yes I meant 'day 2' by 'returning' - should know after having paid for a few of the things recently! Ah, where in Europe (I am thinking 'the EU') has been on red previously? I can't think of anywhere off the top of my head except for when there was the de-facto ban on all travel!
Portugal was for a while over concern about the "Nepal" variant that no one else seemed to have heard of apart from the UK Government (did it even exist?)

Think France might have been to over concern of the South African variant that wasn't actually spreading in mainland France but an islands thousands of miles away. Or possibly that was the new "Amber+" category or whatever it was they immediately invented.

Butts

Veteran Member
Does anyone think Turkey will go Amber in the next review?

I have a trip booked where the balance has to be paid on or around the same date for travel three weeks afterwards.

nlogax

Established Member
Turkey does look promising for a move from red to amber next week

I'm keen to see what will happen come October 1st when the traffic light system potentially receives a major overhaul or disappears entirely.

adc82140

Established Member
I reckon it'll be replaced with "go" or "don't go" , and the testing regime relaxed for vaccinated people in the "go" category. A day 2 NHS lateral flow test would be fine, with a requirement to do a PCR test if it came back positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.