• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which Greek Island/s Have You Been to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
Whist not doing any actual booking yet, I find myself scanning the holiday websites and Youtube for 2022 ideas. Currently I (we) are looking at Greece and it's Islands.
I've been to Crete, Kalymnos (just me), Kefalonia, Zante and Afitos (mainland) . My wife has been to Parga as well as those mentioned. At the moment I've been perusing Kalymnos (I went there once in 1993) and Lefkas.
Just curious to know where other have been or are considering going - assuming you are going to Greece.
No, Mykonos and Santorini don't count Yes, I know they are Greek Islands though LOL!! :D :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eMeS

Long time ago - August 1965.
Athens for around 3 nights, then very dry Ydra for 1 week, self-catering in a villa; otherwise eating in tavernas and being horrified by the sight of wasps crawling all over beef hanging in butchers' shops. Corfu, Paleokastritsa resort for around 3 nights. Lovely area and quite green. We travelled by car, Direct Orient Express train and boat.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
I have been to Kos. We took a ferry from Bodrum in Turkey and visited for the day. It was very nice

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Been to Rhodes, the old town is nice with all the "history", though the island in general did feel very touristy. (But then where doesn't nowadays?)

westv

Established Member
Been to Rhodes, the old town is nice with all the "history", though the island in general did feel very touristy. (But then where doesn't nowadays?)
Oh I forgot Rhodes. Met my now wife in Lindos in 2008

JohnMcL7

I've been to Corfu, Rhodes and Crete.

In Rhodes I stayed in Lindos which is a very pretty village on the east coast where they've preserved the village by preventing any construction work so its kept original with narrow streets and restaurants all on the roof tops with the acropolis overlooking them. The south of the island has a fairly dramatic section of sand with the mild Mediterranean on one side and the wild Aegean on the other, I also quite liked the wilder west of the island which was a lot quieter than the east side.

While in Crete I stayed in Koutloufari a bit east of the capital which I initially wasn't too keen on but as I'm sure with most places there's plenty of great places to find. I went on a buggy tour where you drive vehicles a bit more substantial than a quad bike which went further into the island where it's quite a dramatic landscape and there's plenty of traditional Greek activities. I took a few trips in with a mountain bike and also drove through with a car and looking back now at the photos I'm so glad I did which amuses me because when I started off in the heat and busy population I wasn't keen at all.

westv

Established Member
While in Crete I stayed in Koutloufari a bit east of the capital which I initially wasn't too keen on but as I'm sure with most places there's plenty of great places to find. I went on a buggy tour where you drive vehicles a bit more substantial than a quad bike which went further into the island where it's quite a dramatic landscape and there's plenty of traditional Greek activities. I took a few trips in with a mountain bike and also drove through with a car and looking back now at the photos I'm so glad I did which amuses me because when I started off in the heat and busy population I wasn't keen at all.
We did consider Koutioufari but it was a bit too inland for us - well for me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.