• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why didn't South Yorkshire PTE have a train livery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mspljd1990

We remember the red of West Yorkshire PTE, the grey, green and red of Greater Manchester, and the yellow of Merseyside and Tyne & Wear. Is there any reason SYPTE didn't get its own livery?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think it would have achieved much.

Which trains would have potentially been in this livery, and how could they have been kept mostly within the relevant area? The vast majority of the trains serving South Yorkshire spend a lot more time out of South Yorkshire than in it.

Did/do they even have a recognisable rail brand? The West Yorkshire Metro brand is far stronger than anything South Yorkshire have/had and yet even that is massively diluted by the contrasting branding of the privatised TOCs.

If anything it would just have caused even more confusion.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
South Yorkshire PTE did have it's own livery... though it was only ever carried on a solitary two-car class 114 DMU to celebrate ten years of the PTE.

Two images of the livery at the bottom of this page on the excellent Railcar.co.uk site.

Taunton

Established Member
South Yorkshire was unusual in that it didn't have a dmu depot. The primary diesel base for trains local to the area had always been Lincoln, from where they ranged far and wide. It also didn't particularly have any services local within its boundaries, just about everything went on elsewhere beyond.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
South Yorkshire PTE did have it's own livery... though it was only ever carried on a solitary two-car class 114 DMU to celebrate ten years of the PTE.

Two images of the livery at the bottom of this page on the excellent Railcar.co.uk site.

Perhaps for the best that it wasn't seen more widely. That's one of the ugliest liveries I have seen in a while.

Iskra

Established Member
Remember South Yorkshire used to be the West Riding, so perhaps didn’t have a traditional livery either? And yes, as mentioned very few services run wholly within SY.

YorksLad12

Established Member
They did latterly have co-branding, of sorts, on some units. The Travel South Yorkshire logo at one end of a Pacer, the Metro (M) at the other. TSY itself was a fairly recent invention (sometime in the 2000s), when compared to Metro (1974).

A0wen

On Moderation
I think one of the problems was unlike other PTEs where the units generally stayed within the PTE area, DMUs in the SYPTE area strayed further afield owing to the services they operated.

Oddly - I only ever saw that SYPTE liveried DMU in the flesh once and it was at Hitchin and it had somehow turned up on the Hitchin - Huntingdon service.

The other PTE which didn't really get trains painted was WMPTE - the only two I can think of were that revolting Class 310 or 312 which was all over yellow with blue down the windows and the 'Midline' liveried bubble car.

Images below found on Flickr - not mine.

bluenoxid

Established Member
There is a website called Beauty of Transport and the post LOCAL HEROES (PTE MAINLINE RAIL VISUAL IDENTITIES 1970-1994) is a pretty good summary for PTE liveries under BR.

Journeyman

Established Member
Perhaps for the best that it wasn't seen more widely. That's one of the ugliest liveries I have seen in a while.

It possibly hasn't aged well, but for the time, it was reasonably decent. I thought the orange liveries used in Glasgow and Manchester were much worse.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The other PTE which didn't really get trains painted was WMPTE - the only two I can think of were that revolting Class 310 or 312 which was all over yellow with blue down the windows and the 'Midline' liveried bubble car.

Unless you count Centro green applied to oodles of 150s and 323s?

randyrippley

Established Member
I think one of the problems was unlike other PTEs where the units generally stayed within the PTE area, DMUs in the SYPTE area strayed further afield owing to the services they operated.

Oddly - I only ever saw that SYPTE liveried DMU in the flesh once and it was at Hitchin and it had somehow turned up on the Hitchin - Huntingdon service.

Wasn't the reversed white/blue livery on the refurb DMUs primarily a WMPTE project? Just about every one I saw had their WM branding

theblackwatch

Established Member
Wasn't the reversed white/blue livery on the refurb DMUs primarily a WMPTE project? Just about every one I saw had their WM branding

No, DMUs all over the country carried that livery - up here in Yorkshire, we had 108s and 110s with the 'WY' logo in that colour scheme, I remember Chester 101s also being in that livery and down in Reading, the 117s gained it too. It may well have been that the WM-based units were prioritised in the refurbishment programme thanks to PTE funding, hence more units from that area were done than in other parts of the country.

eastwestdivide

Established Member

Also from that linked page, a pic showing the SYPTE logo only on the blue stripe of a white/blue refurbished 114:

Status
Not open for further replies.